Auto RX alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are too many extended benefits to Auto-Rx for me to use other one dimensional products. Like dnewton3's situation, I really doubt that a 5-15 minute solvent flush would have restored his rings in the two coked cylinders. So, I reason that since I can't determine those conditions without a compression check, that the cost of Auto-Rx is nothing compared to what it can take care of in addition to just cleaning up some stagnant film formations. The labor alone (outside of some investigative curiosity) just makes it a no brainer. So, I clean the engine, decoke the ring packs (if so effected), and know that I don't have to worry about it ..even if I'm unaware of the condition to begin with (just like dnewton3).

Auto-Rx is just a very hard act to follow once you've seen it work.
21.gif

I have posted this before, but it's worth stating again.

It is unfortunate that Auto-RX and some of its competitors are considered similar, at least to the casual observer. I would classify ARX as a product that removes byproducts that inhibit the design intent of the components of mechanical equipment. It liberates an engine's parts to do the work they are designed to do.

Other products, such as solvents or oil stabilizers only seek to modify or otherwise mask the environment that the engine operates in. They add to the complexity of the operating arena, rather than simplifying it. The term “additive” is wholly appropriate here; these competitors of ARX must be present to have some (perceived) effect on the engine. Without their presence, they cannot make the attempt to “help” the engine’s components function as designed.

ARX, on the other hand, has as its sole intent, the removal of barriers and/or inhibitors to the engine’s design. Shortly after its removal, the undesirable effects of combustion byproducts that ARX sought to eliminate are also gone. The effect is long lasting as well.

Last edited:
One thing is for certain. If a large company owned Auto-Rx you would be paying more for the product and you would be hearing a lot more in the way of claims. I think Frank has done a good job sticking to the facts and the fact is that I do not see a competing product out there.

It cleaned the [censored] out of my moms Lexus RX300. This engine is a known sludge monster and boy did it get the sludge out. Did two clean phases and on the second part the engine was bright and shiny with only a slight varnish color left behind. Gave my mom and dad peace of mind. Gas mileage was increased slightly.

Thanks Frank.
Chad- Proud AUTORX user.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
[SNIP]

Now I have near 20 bottles on the shelf in my garage.
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

[/SNIP]

Shoot, I thought I was way ahead at 24+ bottles- somebody's actually catching up to me! Maybe time to purchase another 24...!!!

Lol, chalk it up to post-Katrina/Rita panic about price increases combined with the simultaneous discovery that I had a sludge-prone vehicle. And of course the discovery of periodic closeout sales.

All I know is that Auto-RX works. I have used it in three vehicles. One is a 00 Toyota Camry, it is running like new again with almost 150K miles. It is on the 2nd clean phase. I have also put it in my transmission. The other is a 95 suburban with 6.5L Turbo Diesel, it is just finished the rinse phase with slightly under 100K Miles. I have just went back to Amsoil this past weekend. Another is my Dad's Suburban also with 6.5L Turbo Diesel, he drives about 3000 to 5000 miles a month traveling, so the clean and rinse cycle is finished within 2 months. After changing the oil of the rinse cycle, he told me that the car runs much better. The engine on this one has had a little history of bent piston rod and had to be replaced. It is now more than 250K miles. Now I am recommending it to my friend and he is in the cleaning phase for his 3 Toyota. Personally, It took me about 3 months before testing it out but now I am a believer.

Seems to be a common story: ARX skeptic buys a bottle or 2 and tries it out. Then finds out it makes a real difference and not just marketing hype like so many products out there. ARX deivers results big time, and former skeptic becomes returning customer/ARX disciple, LOL!

Not everybody. I tried it by the book in my old E30 and couldn't tell any difference in any regard. Compression tests, smoothness, power, mileage, etc. Pulled apart my oil filters during the A-RX clean/rinse phases and found some very small deposits but not much.

Also didn't make any apparent difference to the cosmetically varnished top end.

Not saying it doesn't do what it says. Just no personal corroboration to that effect.

Two applications at between 233k miles and 243k miles. Two clean phases and two rinse phases, all with conventional oil. I have a long series of compression tests from before the A-RX right up through the present and there's no real trend or apparent before/after difference. Also as I ran the A-RX phases I paid attention to the way the engine ran very closely, of course, and although once or twice I thought it might be running a bit better, it was not enough difference to be certain and probably more along the lines of wishful thinking. No real change in anything else, except like a said a "bit" of crud in the filter, which for all I know might have been there anyway.

The car's got 293k now. Just recently posted a UOA w/ Delo 15W-40 in the analysis section.

I can only assume my engine was already clean where it matters before I tried the A-RX, but I have to admit I was disappointed that it didn't clean up any of the cosmetic varnish at all.

Auto-Rx works slow however very safe. Am I reading correctly 233,000 miles ? if so please run another rinse. Post what came out of your engine when your finished.By the way varnish will go.

Glennc,

What were and what are your compression readings? Perhaps youir ring packs were not stuck and functioning to their best ability based on wear. Or perhaps they were partially stuck for a duration long enough to wear the cylinder walls out of round. In which case an ARX cleansing would have been more beneficials say 100,000 miles ago.

Here are my compression readings since 200k miles, when I started keeping records of compression tests on this car:

Tests at 202k, 212k, 234k, 265k, 289k miles.

Cyl #1 149, 140, 145, (A-RX), 154, 156
Cyl #2 150, 143, 150, (A-RX), 151, 146
Cyl #3 151, 146, 146, (A-RX), 144, 148
Cyl #4 149, 147, 139, (A-RX), 148, 151
Cyl #5 144, 144, 144, (A-RX), 140, 149
Cyl #6 144, 146, 150, (A-RX), 145, 151

Average 148, 144, 147, (A-RX), 147, 150
Air temp ???, 60F, 73F, (A-RX), 60F, 43F

Average of all tests = 147.2

Compression tests will vary a little, of course. The only reading that was out of line was cyl #4, and it was right before I ran A-RX. Because that cylinder was fine before that test and went back to similar readings with subsequent tests, I think it was most likely a test glitch, maybe a piece of dirt keeping the tester from sealing perfectly. If you throw it out as a bad number then the test right after A-RX is exactly equal to the average of all the other tests, as statistically close to "no change" as is possible.

It is possible that the one low reading was caused by a deposit that was cleaned by the A-RX. What are the odds that the #4 cylinder just happened to get compression-impaired by a cleanable deposit right before the A-RX, after 200k+ miles of running as clean and strong as the other cylinders? I think it is less likely than simply a faulty reading. However, I don't know for certain.

I could throw out the data points for for #1 on the second test and #5 on the fourth test, which were also a bit out of line, and that would would inflate one pre-A-RX test and one post-A-RX test and make no difference overall. Either way you look at it there is no clear statistical improvement before/after A-RX, especially when you consider that the latest and best test was on the coolest day, which by itself would account for the higher reading.

Keep in mind that these tests were all done at 5850' elevation, so you have to add about 15% to get sea level equivalency. They are certainly healthy readings.

Last edited:
What is the spec for this unit? If these are truely health specs, then it is quite possible that you had properly functioning rings to start with. This is not to say that they were not on the road to coking up. Based on your filter description of black specs in the pleats, this may be an indicator that some ring type deposits were cleaned out. I would say without a doubt that the ring packs are healthy and clean based on your compression monitoring over the last 80K miles and two applications. Perhaps with regards to the ring packs, they were fully functional to start.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Perhaps with regards to the ring packs, they were fully functional to start.

That was my conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back