ZDDP, API, and ILSAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a couple quarts of Valvoline VR1 SAE30 not too long ago, and I noticed the API service rating was SM. It was SJ last time I bought it, and my understanding was that more recent API specs have had lower and lower ZDDP.
So I emailed Valvo tech, and the guy said that the API service spec isn't what requires low zinc - the ILSAC specs are what require oils to have so little ZDDP. He said Valvoline racing oils have the same amount of zinc as always.

I did a little more checking, and Mobil says ILSAC's GF4 spec includes a maximum of 800ppm phos (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Zinc_Motor_Oils.aspx). None of my VR1 containers say anything about ILSAC on them, but regular Valvoline says it meets ILSAC specs. So is the email tech guy right?

Since the oil is labeled as straight SAE30 I would say what the tech guy said is essentially correct. The ILSAC GF-4 ratings only apply to 0w-X, 5w-X, and 10w-X oils according to this document on the GF-4 rating.
http://www.ilma.org/resources/ilsac_finalstd011404.pdf
"1.a SAE J300
Oils shall meet all of the requirements of SAE J300. Viscosity grades are limited to
SAE 0W, 5W, and 10W multigrade oils."

So what does the SM rating mean on labels not of those grades, or even of those grades that are SM but do not carry the GF-4 rating? It would seem that they are using the test limits in engine sequence test and lab test as outlined for the SM rating without having to conform to the limits for phosphorous under GF-4 which can be seen here:
http://www.infineum.com/information/api-passenger-sm-2004.html
see footnotes at bottom of that table for Limits for SM Non-ILSAC GF-4 viscosity grades.

Ah, OK. The way I read that, SM does not put an upper limit on phosphorus but GF-4 does, which is consistent with what the tech guy said. It would also seem that any multigrade oil not specifically labeled as meeting GF-4 specs may have more than 800ppm phosphorus. Cool.

Thanks jmac.

I emailed the Valvoline guys too, asking about using the Premium Blue 15W40 in my air cooled Volkswagen with hot cam, double wound springs, flat tappets. They were sort of vague with their answer. Basically their answer was that the SL/SM API rating has nothing to do with ZDDP content at all. I find that odd.
They did suggest, that older flat tappet cam motors will not survive using latest SM/GF4 oils. They suggested instead their fleet (diesel) oils or the non street legal VR1. They also mentioned that "some of these oils have ZDDP concentration between .14 and .16" but never said WHICH oil. I am using the PB15W40 and guess I'll stay with it.
The Castrol TWS actually showed to have a weaker anti wear package and was EXPENSIVE.

Originally Posted By: jimrat
I emailed the Valvoline guys too, asking about using the Premium Blue 15W40. They suggested instead their fleet (diesel) oils or the non street legal VR1. They also mentioned that "some of these oils have ZDDP concentration between .14 and .16" but never said WHICH oil. I am using the PB15W40 and guess I'll stay with it.

Be aware, Valvoline Premium Blue and All Fleet 15w-40 have gone to the new CJ-4 grade which limits ZDDP to 1200 ppm, (or lower). Unless you happen to find some old stock, that jug of PB 15w-40 you grab off the shelf these days isn't quite what it use to be.

Valvoline has what they call "Premium Blue Classic" which is probably the old formula CI-4+, PB 15w-40 renamed "Classic". However, it's extremely hard to find.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=130

Some alternatives that are still CL-4 grade are: Castrol GTX Deisel, (not "Tection"), which specs an honest 1300 ppm zinc level, or even the Walmart Universal 15w-40.
Both are reasonably priced and relatively easy to find.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: jimrat
I emailed the Valvoline guys too, asking about using the Premium Blue 15W40. They suggested instead their fleet (diesel) oils or the non street legal VR1. They also mentioned that "some of these oils have ZDDP concentration between .14 and .16" but never said WHICH oil. I am using the PB15W40 and guess I'll stay with it.

Be aware, Valvoline Premium Blue and All Fleet 15w-40 have gone to the new CJ-4 grade which limits ZDDP to 1200 ppm, (or lower). Unless you happen to find some old stock, that jug of PB 15w-40 you grab off the shelf these days isn't quite what it use to be.

Valvoline has what they call "Premium Blue Classic" which is probably the old formula CI-4+, PB 15w-40 renamed "Classic". However, it's extremely hard to find.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=130

Some alternatives that are still CL-4 grade are: Castrol GTX Deisel, (not "Tection"), which specs an honest 1300 ppm zinc level, or even the Walmart Universal 15w-40.
Both are reasonably priced and relatively easy to find.

never seen the GTX Diesel. What about Mobil 1 Delvac (synth) or the 1300? I think both are now CJ-4, correct?

We probably all worry about the ZDDP levels like the way most worried when lead was removed from gasoline. The oil chemists Iam sure have just found another mix to get the same results, few of us if any have anything to worry about or there would be alot more engines wasted.

You're probably right... sort of. According to what I know, soft valve seats are mostly OK once they and the valves have been coated with the combustion byproducts of tetraethyl lead. But new non-hardened valve seats do not do well without TEL. Similarly, existing flat tappet cam setups that are well broken in are probably fine, especially if they are no more aggressive than stock production car and truck grinds. But I believe flat tappet cams which have not yet been broken in, and especially the more aggressive aftermarket profiles really do need the ZDDP.

A friend of mine smoked a flat tappet cam just a couple months ago, and he wasn't using a motor oil with much zinc in it. He's built lots of Ford engines, both flat tappet and roller, and never had problems until everyone else started having problems. So did he get a bad cam, a bad set of lifters, or do flat tappet cams really need zinc? I'm not going to risk a motor to find out.

Part of the problem is the lousy lifers being sold today. Many of them are junk than will fail with any oil. People in racing classes that are stuck with flat tappet setups are very quiet about their solutions. A friend that builds drag motors had several cam failures with one engine and a set of old NOS lifters brought in by a customer that were made 30 years ago fixed the problem.

It's true that for quite a while, most or all flat lifters were sub-par, but the hot rodding magazines and cam companies have been assuring us that the problem has been solved. I can't test hardness, and I have no way to measure radius, but I checked every one of the lifters I put in my truck engine to make sure it had a visible radius when held against the side of another lifter. They all passed the visual check, and so far I haven't noticed any valvetrain noise which would seem to indicate a wiped lobe (knock on wood). For now, I'll say that I'm cautiously optimistic that the flat lifters being made today are once again of acceptable quality.

As far as the exotic alternatives to regular flat tappets, yeah... Schubeck used to make lifters with some kind of composite or ceramic material on the bottom, but they tended to shatter and destroy engines if they were run with excessive lash (like if you bent a pushrod, for example). But something fishy happened, and now it seems he's not making them, and might even be out of business altogether. Then you've got the tool steel lifters like I've read NASCAR teams use, but I think those cost over $1000 for a set. Yikes!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
We probably all worry about the ZDDP levels like the way most worried when lead was removed from gasoline. The oil chemists Iam sure have just found another mix to get the same results, few of us if any have anything to worry about or there would be alot more engines wasted.

There IS a cam and lifter failure epidemic, at least flat-tappet, aggressive cams for air cooled VW. I've done my homework, build my own stuff, break them in correctly, but chose the wrong oil. Lost about .200" off nose of my cam, and lifters are badly pitted. No wild spring pressure....295lb across nose.

Quote:
No wild spring pressure....295lb across nose.

That's about 50% higher than most of cars that left the assembly line with pushrods and rockers ..at least in the last 30 years.

That may be true, but it's nowhere near what I would call radical for a modified engine. When I ported my first set of heads (iron GM SBC), I bought a set of K-Motion K-700s and had them set up for 120# on the seat. With those springs, that calculates to about 330-335# over the nose. The cam, which I should point out was already well broken in when I did the head swap, came out looking beautiful. Lifters too - nice mirror finish on them.

Originally Posted By: NovaMan
But I believe flat tappet cams which have not yet been broken in, and especially the more aggressive aftermarket profiles really do need the ZDDP.

But what evidence can you point to that there is a great need for ZDDP at any level?
Do we simply take the words of a marketeer (with a vested interest in answering to the benefit of his product line), or an anecdote or two from pals?
What sort of study can we read determining that there needs to be a high rate of ZDDP?
Studies such as this one tend to show this not to be the case:
https://shop.sae.org/technical/papers/952344
I gather from this paper that the benefit of higher ZDDP was attributed to the fact that higher rates increased the oils ability to withstand oxidative thickening, and not with it's prowess as an AW film.

And when we break in parts, such as a valve train, are we not depending more on the EP regime of lubrication, than that of the AW regime that the anti-oxidant ZDDP happens to provide?

Originally Posted By: Jaybird
But what evidence can you point to that there is a great need for ZDDP at any level?

Okay if it isn't enough for anyone that ZDDP reduction is an automotive and Oil industry response to a government mandate aimed at consumer and enviromental protection, and not automobile protection. Then the following links should be helpfull...

Me? all I need to do is remember my low flow toilet that has to be flushed two times per use; to know that nothing mandated by the government and adopted by a corporation can ever be without horribly stupid "unforeseen" consequences
smile.gif

These links should get you started:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index.html
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

There are others I remember seeing something from Castrol and both Comp and Crane cams have had something to say about the subject but I can't dig up the bookmarks.

Do we simply take the words of a marketeer (with a vested interest in answering to the benefit of his product line), or an anecdote or two from pals?

What marketeer? ZDDP additives are few and far between and two of them have been taken off the market (STP red and CD-2 "Street Legal" oil additives) NONE of them actually advertize ZDDP unless you count the micro-fine print on the STP blue bottle oil additive that says ZDDP.

The comercial motive for scare tactics so to speak about ZDDP is non-existent unless you wear tin foil hats and hear black helicopters.

How about the fact that Mobil 1 High Mileage -- a new oil -- has an SL rating? Because it's got higher ZDDP levels than the current API SM standards dictate? Why in the world would M1 add ZDDP back into it products when it could get the latest SM rating? Is it because they know a handfull of car geeks will find out and start using it in their flat tappet equipped enthusiast cars and trucks? Or because they know ZDDP is necessary for older flat tappet vehicles. BTW no big "CONTAINS MORE ZDDP" blurb on the bottle here either.

When I decided to buy some STP Red, I had to buy the case online. No stores in my area have it on the shelves, just the Blue. Wouldn't surprise me if the EPA is pressuring them to discontinue or change the formulations.

I have heard that, in the year or two prior to EOS going out of production, California-market EOS had far less ZDDP than the rest. I can't back it up with VOA's, so take that for what it's worth.

- Scott

EOS is back; for a while it could be found on ACDelco's site, but now it seems to be on the Goodwrench site. It's $11.32 from GMPartsDirect.com - check it out:
http://www.goodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/EngineCareProducts.jsp
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm...tnumber=1052367

What sort of study can we read determining that there needs to be a high rate of ZDDP?
Studies such as this one tend to show this not to be the case:
https://shop.sae.org/technical/papers/952344
I gather from this paper that the benefit of higher ZDDP was attributed to the fact that higher rates increased the oils ability to withstand oxidative thickening, and not with it's prowess as an AW film.

And when we break in parts, such as a valve train, are we not depending more on the EP regime of lubrication, than that of the AW regime that the anti-oxidant ZDDP happens to provide?

The evidence I know of is purely empirical: flat tappet cams and lifters broken in with low-ZDDP oils tend to fail. There were other factors involved for a time (such as lifter quality), but it seems that those have been resolved. The people telling gearheads to use high-ZDDP oil to break in flat-tappet cams are the cam companies, who don't sell oil. Sure, they sell break-in concentrate, but they're NOT saying that you should use more of it or that it's more important to buy it; it seems they don't care how much break-in concentrate they sell as long as they don't have to keep replacing cams because they fail during break-in. So the marketeering argument is out the window.
I have not read the paper to which you refer, but I did read the abstract, and I also determined that it was published in 1995. Yes, 0.8% and 0.6% are lower ZDDP concentrations than I would like to run with a flat tappet cam, especially during break-in. However, considering that the article was written in 1995 and the test was conducted on fleet vehicles, I strongly doubt that the low-ZDDP oils were used to break in the engines, which is the time most critical to have lots of ZDDP in the oil. Also, these were almost certainly OEM production cams and lifters which have much lower lifts, and require much less spring pressure. That translates to less friction and less pressure, which require less AW and EP protection.
As far as lubrication regime, I'm not sure. Although flat tappet lifter rotate in their bores when operating properly, they still must be considered sliding friction, perhaps somewhat similar to hypoid gears. The contact area between a lifter and a cam lobe is very small, so the pressure there is very high. I cannot imagine how it is possible that any film of oil exists in that interface, so what can possibly protect the lobes and lifters but an AW film? And lest you continue to think ZDDP is just an antioxidant, ask any oil formulator what it is, an he'll tell you it's an AW agent and antioxidant, it's a synergist, and he might even say it's also an EP agent.
Maybe you're right: maybe there's an additive other than ZDDP which can provide the same protection as ZDDP at the same or lower concentrations... but so far, it doesn't seem that anyone has identified such an additive. To paraphrase someone from this board, possibly MolaKule, 'ZDDP isn't the holy grail, just cheap and effective.' Cheap and effective sound about as close to a holy grail as is possible in this universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back