Is there a difference between ILSAC GF-6a and API SP-RC?

Who told you that those four examples are not resource conserving? I am curious. You seem very argumentative for a person who comes here with a question. Of the four examples you cited, three are API SP and ILSAC GF-6A and one is API SP and ACEA C5. How on earth have you concluded that they are not resource conserving?

Here is a quote directly from the API which you can Google just as easily as I: "On May 1, 2021, all products displaying the Starburst must meet API SP/Resource Conserving. "

Here is data sheet information from three of the four oils you asked about. Again, you can research this just as easily as I can. Note that each of these oils meet API SP and ILSAC GF6A. By default, that means they're RESOURCE CONSERVING! The Valvoline meets API SP and therefore is also RESOURCE CONSERVING. If you can't grasp this then I am at a loss.

Mobil-1 data sheet:
View attachment 162656

Shell Helix Hybrid data sheet:

View attachment 162657

Castrol Magnatec data sheet:

View attachment 162660

The Valvoline doesn't carry ILSAC simply because the ACEA C5 is given precedence and the product is not used in applications that would benefit from the labeling of the ILSAC standard. Quite simple.

I've spent enough time on this thread with you and you are simply here to argue so I am finished. You obviously didn't come here with a question but rather with the desire to argue and debate. Good Luck with your future inquiries. I am under no obligation to prove anything to you or anyone else on this internet forum. The information is there if you choose to read it and are able to understand it. It really is that simple.
The bottles and spec sheets indicate the oils are not resource conserving because if they were resource conserving, they would call it out like they do for the SN/SN-RC spec as seen on some of the sheets you posted.

I'll contact the oil companies and see if I can get a conclusive answer as to why they don't list the oil as SP-RC when so many other oil bottles call it out separately to the SP (and ILSAC GF-6a) spec.

I wonder why they left the RC label off the bottle is all I'm getting at as its big missed marketing opportunity and would be unusual that 4 separate companies missed it.

I'll report back if I find anything.

Last edited:
Again, an oil can be API SP rated and not be resource conserving. But if it has ILSAC GF-6A then it's resource conserving. Way back at the top of this thread at post #6 I wrote: "ILSAC will take an API SP approved product and put their license on it "IF" it meets the resource conserving/energy conserving requirements that they desire. SAE J183 (the API aspect) is a performance standard and does not cover fuel economy (RC/EC).

SO, if an oil carries ILSAC GF-6A then it meets API SP and also provides a fuel economy benefit. ALL ILSAC GF-6A oil meet API SP but not all API SP oils carry the ILSAC license. "

So you can find oils that are SP but not ILSAC GF6. This will be particularly noted with European rated oils that might carry ACEA ratings in particular.

Are there any 0W-20 oils that aren't resource conserving? Yes. Are there any 0W-20 oils that are API SP/ILSAC GF-6 that aren't Resource Conserving? NO.

Good Day.

The bottles and spec sheets indicate the oils are not resource conserving because if they were resource conserving, they would call it out like they do for the SN/SN-RC spec as seen on some of the sheets you posted.

I'll contact the oil companies and see if I can get a conclusive answer as to why they don't list the oil as SP-RC when so many other oil bottles call it out separately to the SP (and ILSAC GF-6a) spec.

I wonder why they left the RC label off the bottle is all I'm getting at as its big missed marketing opportunity and would be unusual that 4 separate companies missed it.

I'll report back if I find anything.
A question comes to mind, and that is "why"? Is this central to an oil choice for your vehicle?

Back