Young drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A young driver, 23 years old had a car that he bought at a tent sale towed into a shop. The problem? The car was in his words a screaming deal but there was a catch. It has a standard transmission and he had no idea what that extra pedal was for and could not find the indicator that would show what gear you are in and were say reverse might be. Is this kind of thing a problem with young drivers. He not only did not know how to drive with a standard transmission he had no idea that such a setup existed.

And now you ask what was the screaming deal. The car is a 58 Corvette that looks worn out and faded and ran really bad. It's a 4-speed fuelie, a very sough after car. It was traded in at the tent sale and bought by our friend. It is absolutely original and complete and by the numbers it's a fi car. This is a matching numbers car and he paid $10k for it as is the day it was traded in to a dealer at the tent sale. They wanted to get rid of the car. His friends that came to the shop to see the car are laughing at him for buying such a piece of junk and everyone in the shop is trying to buy this jewel in the rough. I asked his friends if they knew how to drive with a standard transmission and not one of them even knew what I was talking about. All they know was that the car was a death trap because it did not have shoulder harnesses or air bags and that such an old car could not be worth anything like $10k. Their estimate of the value was off a bit because the car sold that next week for $125k. The new owner was so happy he could hardly get the kid off the to bank quick enough to get him his money. And the new owner said he could handle the clutch pedal just fine.

Great story!! I love it!!

I've found that most young drivers think they are [censored]'s gift to highways and I love it when they are proven to be wrong.

Who cares if he doesn't know how to drive a stick, he made 115K.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than it is to be good.

This doesn't sound like a real story. It's probably assembled from a collection of true stories.

From my experience, young men around here seem to prefer standard transmissions. The automatics are usually hand-me-downs from parents or relatives, while those who actually buy or get to choose their own car choose standards. As they get older, various reasons - availability, wives, leg injury, laziness, etc. - convince them to purchase automatics, but I don't think I have a male friend who wouldn't be ashamed to own a sports car with an automatic!

The story is true. I now have the job of rebuilding the fuel injection in consert with a friend that is restoring the running gear.

To continue the urban legand of this car the guy that is restoring the body found the original window sticker and registeration papers.

We hear that the sales manager that made the deal at the tent sale had no idea what the car was worth because his books did not list such old cars. This manager is good at putting a price on a car as long as you give him the answers before you ask for the value. The manager was at the body shop scratching his head because he could not understand that an old Corvette was worth so much money. His manager was happy to just get the car off their books quickly. The only deal in late mode vehicles and they are there to turn over as many vehicles as possible.

Quote:
I've found that most young drivers think they are [censored]'s gift to highways and I love it when they are proven to be wrong.

I've found that to be true because they learned a lot of bad driving details/habits from their parents, whom think they own the road.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
How come this sounds like an urban legend?

I'm thinking the same thing. How in [censored] could anyone believe a 50 year old V8 Corvette could be worth only $10k?

I am also looking at another car that a family has determined is not useable because it has a clutch pedal. There is no one left alive in this large extended family that knows what to do with such a pedal. It's a 55 Chevy wagon, not a Nomad but a 2-door 210 with a straight-6 and a three speed on the column. The car is in absolutely perfect condition but can not be driven because of that third pedal. The grandson of the last driver of this car said that they had a clutch pedal in some care before the invention of the computer to shift the gears. He told me this car also does not have air bags and their father won't let them ride in this car because it is too dangerous. They also told me there is no key fob to lock/unlock the doors, it was probably lost. I hope that they don't want too much for this old car. It would make a nice daily driver, even if they lost the key fob.

Turned out good for the kid, but why would you pay $10k for a car that you can't drive and that you don't realize is a collector's item?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back