Would you use 0W-16 in a 2 Liter Ford Ecoboost?

it's neither Turbo, or ecoboost.
IIRC it's the old Zetec 2.0 with a different cam to be a atkinson cycle instead of the traditional otto cycle engine. (Atkinson is more efficient up top, at the cost of low end power, which makes it perfect to pair with a torque-y electric motor...)
I drive a 2013 C-Max (non-plug in), it calls for 5w20, the following model year (2014) ford changed it to 0w20.
Ford has not used the Zetec engine since 2005 in the US. Duratec engines only from that point.

My 2.0 L 2.0 didn't even like the 5W20. I don't know if the O.P's engine is D.I. though. If P.I, I would be good with a 20 in a Ford (Mazda- pronounced: Motts sue 'DA )

That's weird, you must be an "engine-whisperer". Mine didn't seem to care or notice if I used anything from 0W-20 to 5W-30 all being syns. I got upwards of 43mpg in that thing on mostly highway driving, miss the manual a lot....

In any case 0W-16 is for specific applications accounting for in and an Ecoboost ain't one of those so stick to a 5W-30 synthetic...

Thanks everyone, and forgive my ignorance of what engine the Ford C-Max actually has. Apparently it's not a Japanese engine that has been running 0W-16 for a decade over there. Perhaps I should consider 0W-16 for the 2017 Prius V.

As for the C-Max, it's coming up on the suggested change mileage based upon a Quaker State reminder on the inside of the windsheild. I am guessing that the OCI was based on 5000 miles. I've owned the car for 4900 of those miles, but have only fed it 32 gallons of gas. Changing the oil under these circumsatances seems unwarranted, but I would really like to know what oil is in my daily driver. Call it an OCD BITOG thing if you will.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, and forgive my ignorance of what engine the Ford C-Max actually has. Apparently it's not a Japanese engine that has been running 0W-16 for a decade over there. Perhaps I should consider 0W-16 for the 2017 Prius V.

As for the C-Max, it's coming up on the suggested change mileage based upon a Quaker State reminder on the inside of the windsheild. I am guessing that the OCI was based on 5000 miles. I've owned the car for 4900 of those miles, but have only fed it 32 gallons of gas. Changing the oil under these circumsatances seems unwarranted, but I would really like to know what oil is in my daily driver. Call it an OCD BITOG thing if you will.
for my non-plug in model, the factory recommendation is 10k oci, or annually... IIRC(been a minute since i looked at the manual) for the energi plug ins, it's 20k/2 years, with an annual filter inspection (make sure it's not rusting through/no holes) *

most shops i've been through still do 3k on their stickers...
I stick to 5k/6 mos.
I bought mine with 64k mi and change, Dealership changed it before delivery, I waited to 70k mi to do the first. (bought beginning of march, did first change sometime in Aug.)

* what I said about the energi models, might honestly be what the reccomendation was for my brother's '14 Volt... it's been a while, things run together in the head.

Back