Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

This is all I could find. There was a large class action law suit over this because so many engines were damaged because of the fuel dilution issue.

Honda will attempt to fix the oil dilution problem with a service campaign that includes:

1. Software updates to the transmission control module and electronic fuel injection system.
  2. Replacing a drain plug washer
  3. Replacing the climate control unit (in some cases)
  4. A fresh oil change
Honda believes these updates will allow the engine to warm up faster and improve fuel combustion.

Honda called it a "Service Update" that included "4. A fresh oil change". However I don't see how a oil change along with the installation of a new drain plug washer, would allow the engine to "Warm up faster, and improve fuel combustion"? But then again I'm not a Honda engineer.

I’ve done it a few times on my old mustang. At this point i just don’t care and the filter is so cheap it’s asinine to keep it.

Last edited:
This is all I could find. There was a large class action law suit over this because so many engines were damaged because of the fuel dilution issue.

Honda will attempt to fix the oil dilution problem with a service campaign that includes:

1. Software updates to the transmission control module and electronic fuel injection system.
  2. Replacing a drain plug washer
  3. Replacing the climate control unit (in some cases)
  4. A fresh oil change
Honda believes these updates will allow the engine to warm up faster and improve fuel combustion.

Honda called it a "Service Update" that included "4. A fresh oil change". However I don't see how a oil change along with the installation of a new drain plug washer, would allow the engine to "Warm up faster, and improve fuel combustion"? But then again I'm not a Honda engineer.

This has nothing to do with the filter.

I personally don't use filters more than 1 OCI. I always change the filter but that is a personal choice... I go until the EVIC says to change oil on my Ram (~7,500 miles) and the T&C (~8,500 miles). I go 5,000 miles on the Jeep FWIW.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: 4WD
Let's say you have a premium oil filter and like running 5,000 mile oil changes. Would you ever run a filter thru say 3-4 oil changes?

If you have run the filter thru 2 or more changes, do you dump the old oil out or just leave it in the filter/cannister?

I am debating running my Fram Ultra thru 2 changes. I have never done that before.
I run the oil filters on my Accord for 2 oil changes, which is 24,000 miles. For you, that would be the equivilent of 4 oil changes.
I would go by what your owner's manual says. If it says to change the oil and filter every 5K miles, do that. If it says like it does for my car: to change the oil every 12K and the filter every other oil change, I would do that. The manufacturer knows what your engine needs better than anyone.

Some of my older vehicles' manuals state to replace the oil and filter every 5k miles or 4 months, whichever is first. If you did that you'd be going thru 3 oil filters every year. That seems excessive. Dunno.

Three others just states every 5k miles to replace oil and filter, no time mentioned at all. One has oil and filter every 6 months or 6k miles whichever is first.

Manuals seem all over the map. But they are consistent with replacing both at the same interval.

Well common sense would dictate, that if you have a fuel dilution issue with the oil in your crankcase, (which these Honda's do), you would most certainly change your oil filter each and every time.

You might, but Honda isnt.

Honda didnt change their schedule - in your post they mention " oil change" not filter change, and they clearly differentiate the two in the manual.

The manuals haven't changed and Honda can change them at any time.
Lowering the OCI because of dilution netted no change to the A/B maint minder.

There is much more oil in the rest of engine than in that tiny filter, if they were so worried about it they would ask for a filter change or even an interim flush.

Last edited:
Well Jim, I have 25k and counting on my ultra 3614 so far. May push it til December.
The last 3614 I used in my 2016 Cmax was approaching 24k and I was coming home from Florida and it kept throwing a code the hybrid system was overheating or something like that.

It would pop up once in awhile and went away and never returned when I changed the Ultra. Weird but two years passed and it never came back. I did 3 oil changes on that run with fs.

Honda has advised to leave the oil filter in place for (2) oil changes for quite some time. On their vehicles with their Maintenance Minder, when the oil life gets down to 15% or lower and code A# pops up, that means change the oil (and rotate tires, etc). It does NOT mean change the oil and filter. When it's time to change the oil and filter, it will be a B# code.

So can you do it ? Yes. Are you going to destroy an engine by doing this ? No.

^^^ Exactly^^^

And for those that say it's not worth it.... Statistically, it will not make a bit of difference for engine longevity.

Last edited:
Statistically, it will not make a bit of difference for engine longevity.
You can be certain that Honda has tested and researched this extensively before they even considered promoting this. Random people with their anecdotal cases (or "experience") aren't going to sway Honda either.... That said, while I'm not made of money, I replace the filter each time. It costs less than $6 and I'm already under the car. Even Honda dealers replace them, or at least on paper they say they do.

You can be certain that Honda has tested and researched this extensively before they even considered promoting this. Random people with their anecdotal cases (or "experience") aren't going to sway Honda either.... That said, while I'm not made of money, I replace the filter each time. It costs less than $6 and I'm already under the car. Even Honda dealers replace them, or at least on paper they say they do.

If Im bothering to go under the car I'll change it out, but with a top side changer you dont need to go under the rig.

I've probably saved 50 hours of time in the 20 years I've had a mityvac.

I can do a 5 QT oil only change in about 15 minutes using one, and for 10 of those minutes I can go do something else.

If Im bothering to go under the car I'll change it out, but with a top side changer you dont need to go under the rig.

I've probably saved 50 hours of time in the 20 years I've had a mityvac.

I can do a 5 QT oil only change in about 15 minutes using one, and for 10 of those minutes I can go do something else.
Have you ever pulled the drain plug after the suck job, to see how much residual oil it leaves behind?

Back