Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

Never buy a Honda and follow their maintenance schedule. šŸ˜„
Just as a point of information, 'personally' NEVER seen a Honda dealer follow the A,B MM procedure 'as SOP', not changing the oil filter with an oil change. I suppose one could ask for filter delete, but I'm sure generally speaking some strange looks would ensue. Obviously changing the filter each time does 'not' void your Honda warranty. Otoh, following the Honda OM rec fine for warranty too.

I've done 'two' oci on Hondas using the 'original OG Ultra' and Bosch Distance Plus to 13-14k mi. total, a couple times. No worries whatsoever, filters looked great post use. Normally though thought is, I'm under the vehicle to grab drain plug, might as well change the filter too.

To topic, warranty considerations aside two ~5k ocis with a premium filter should be fine. Whether one goes 3 or 4 ocis that interval? Guess that depends on how one views cost benefit or roi of using the OF that many times.

Last edited:
Honda's recommendation of changing filters less often than oil is more about saving money for dealers and customers...
... and because it's safe to do so. Honda isn't having massive numbers of oil-related engine failures from leaving a filter on for (2) oil changes.

How is ā€œlifetimeā€ ATF related to running an XG10575 for two 5K OCI ?
I explained (I thought). Both are part of cutting back on maintenance expense to do the consumer a favor while potentially shortening component life.

Skipping oil filter changes saves a little trouble and money now. We don't know for sure what the long-term effect would be on engine life, though if the new schedule is followed religiously, probably little. But I see similarities with other changes such as going to lifetime ATF. That was my point.

I do this with the old design Fram Ultras. I leave the oil in the filter and galleries. Looking at the dipstick ( after taking a run and wiping it off) afterwards itā€™s still golden. The volume of old oil left is inconsequential IMHO. I do two 5,000 miles runs.

I donā€™t bother pulling off the old filter to drain it. If I was to crawl underneath for that, I would put on a new filter. :)

Makes me think I should do this with my F150. 2013. With fumoto.

Thing drips oil for days after removing filter.

Reactions: JC1
...My suspicion is that the the life of automatic transmissions in most vehicles has actually declined in recent years because of "lifetime ATF" replacing fluid changes. ...
Cutting back engine oil filter changes is more of the same warped "logic".
False analogy. Eliminating fluid changes shortens the life of transmissions. Within reason, "cutting back on engine oil filter changes" has practically zero effect on engine life, as long as abnormal quantities of "dirt" aren't entering the oil.

Speaking of "warped logic", these perennial filter-change-interval arguments are as full of it as thick vs. thin threads.

How much are you buying that oil for ?
I bought an 18.9L barrel of oil for something like $35. Not oil that I would actually run in my vehicles for any amount of time, but for that purpose it makes me feel better. Less than $2/qt.

I think that is what the majority do
You mean, of those that run their filter over more than one oil change. Right ? I really don't think a lot of people do it even though it is safe to do. Even Honda dealers replace the oil filter every time, it seems (they're already under the car and their cost for a filter is probably $2-3. If they do leave it on, I'll bet you they clean that filter up real well just in case someone crawls under to "check".

Quit bringing that weak argument over and over - Filters are rated to 20k and as the OP recognized many are just doing two 5k runs on them ā€¦
That's my opinion on the subject. And, we all know what what opinions are like, right? If you don't like my opinion, just move along!
Just for you, 4WD, NOTE SIGNATURE! LMAO @ EWE! :ROFLMAO:

That's my opinion on the subject. And, we all know what what opinions are like, right? If you don't like my opinion, just move along!
Only you donā€™t know what you are talking about - and Iā€™m not lazy as you constantly imply ā€¦
BTW: Nobody cares about your signature

Here is another way to look at this. Tig has gone for decades on 10k oil and filter runs.
Hundreds of thousands of miles.
Those that keep the filter ā€¦ but change the oil halfway - are doing even more.

Only you donā€™t know what you are talking about - and Iā€™m not lazy as you constantly imply ā€¦
BTW: Nobody cares about your signature
Obviously, you do. If not, you wouldn't keep replying to my comments. Could it be you're jealous that you didn't think it up?
Again, 4WD, just for EWE, read my signature. šŸ‘

Obviously, you do. If not, you wouldn't keep replying to my comments. Could it be you're jealous that you didn't think it up?
Again, 4WD, just for EWE, read my signature. šŸ‘
I have no reason to be jealous - I try to expand my knowledge here - not peddle a belief system ā€¦
Have a nice day ā€¦

Back