FRAM Ultra XG7317 leaks oil from top of cannister ...

Used from 10/1/20 > 9/10/21 and 9,135 miles . Advise to check for leaks if used in areas with snow , rain and humidity . I noticed it a few days ago while checking for leaks , etc.. Oil was all over the pan and undercarriage . Found this :

IMG_6851.JPG
IMG_6881.JPG
IMG_6861.JPG
IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_6918.JPG
IMG_6919.JPG
IMG_6920.JPG
IMG_6923.JPG

Replaced with NAPA Platinum PFL 47356 .

IMG_6927.JPG

yuck. looks like its been on the car for years.

I have a rainy and snowy seasons and bone dry season

I've left them on up to 3 years and 3 OCI's they looked great coming off.

Obviously a piece of road debris hit that can... And those Fram oil filters are not the strongest or thickest cans. Rather thin actually.

This is where a thick oil filter matters. Where it could possibly be hit by rocks or something else.

Good catch on your part.

Obviously a piece of road debris hit that can... And those Fram oil filters are not the strongest or thickest cans. Rather thin actually.

This is where a thick oil filter matters. Where it could possibly be hit by rocks or something else.

Good catch on your part.
That was my thought as well, co-worker had a road debris hit the motorcraft filter on his leased explorer. He was driving back from Chicago and began to lose oil pressure, filter had a 1/4” crack where something hit it causing it to leak.

Agreeing with previous poster, looks like a good ole NE road salt into and under paint, rust bubble. It would have been used during prime time for that to occur. Other bubbles shown look the same. Probably good to check for that occasionally in areas of high salt use.

Like to see what the inside of the can in that spot and other bubble areas.

Last edited:

Good catch on your part.
The oil was coming from the top of the filter where the bubble is pictured above . So , from within . Started the car and could see a sheen of oil on the top and ran down the the L.H. side to the bottom as shown .

Agreeing with previous poster, looks like a good ole NE road salt into and under paint, rust bubble. It would have been used during prime time for that to occur. Other bubbles shown look the same. Probably good to check for that occasionally in areas of high salt use.

Like to see what the inside of the can in that spot and other bubble areas.
Plenty of salt starting November to April .

I've had filters on a car for over a year and never have I seen where the can was rusting, even here in southeastern Wisconsin salt land. That looks like it has been on the vehicle for much longer.

The oil was coming from the top of the filter where the bubble is pictured above . So , from within . Started the car and could see a sheen of oil on the top and ran down the the L.H. side to the bottom as shown .

That one picture in particular.....

At least to me... Just a first look at it...

Looked like a tear in that can. Horizontal in nature.

Though looking at it I can see it being from that bubble/rust. That makes sense to me.

Definitely a weak can.... And that aspect of the Fram filters is a known fact. Those cans are thin.

There have been people on this site whom have posted "old" frams that were on cars for multiple years with no issues. I'm sure Fram has done tests to prove their cans are strong enough to hold up. I suspect road salt/road debris damaged the original poster's filter.

Those cans are thin... And it is not going to hold up to salt or any corrosive winter road treatment well.

Nor would those cans do well with road debris or large rocks hitting them.

If a filter is not exposed to either of those... Then the Fram filters will be good to go for a long time.

My lady's 98 Camry is a great car for a filter that is not heavy heavy duty. Where the filter is in that car the filter will not be exposed to anything.

In my car... It could possibly be exposed to salt or winter road treatment.

I have run a number of Fram filters on my car. And will certainly continue to do so. The Fram Force is quite likely to be my next filter of choice for my car and the lady's 98 Camry.

Having said that... The filter cans are not real thick or robust. In an area with long winter's with lots of road treatment... It would be good to monitor a filter that is easily exposed to road treatment and that was on there for over 8+ months. Say like in a area like south and east of the Great Lakes or in places in the northeast US.

Last edited:
Those cans are thin... And it is not going to hold up to salt or any corrosive winter road treatment well.

Nor would those cans do well with road debris or large rocks hitting them.

If a filter is not exposed to either of those... Then the Fram filters will be good to go for a long time.

My lady's 98 Camry is a great car for a filter that is not heavy heavy duty. Where the filter is in that car the filter will not be exposed to anything.
and so is the paint … as premium filters go … these features are lightweight …

Good information. So Honda has a reason to specify a gage thicker can from Fram, and Toyota filters are about two gages thicker from what I measured. I guess they know a thing or two about cars being used nationwide. Never thought that could happen in that time frame.

They don't use road salt where I live however they lay down gravel everywhere for traction. I've used fram/supertech and never had an issue. You can hear that gravel smacking the under carriage and I have an exposed filter on my Silverado. In the spring they have street sweepers that pick up the gravel.

Back