Fram ultra gasket seep

Fortunately every oil filter out there is already marked, with a label.

I'd say ¾ - 1 turn "feels about right" but you could go almost another full turn on most cars. Maybe I'm a big ape.

Thank you....

It has a darn label on it....

Follow the label boys and girls. Not hard to do.

I had a problem with a Genuine Toyota oil filter after they went to the Oring type gasket instead of the flat gasket. It leaked bad after I changed the filter and cranked. Turned out that the Oring had twisted when I installed it. I think the problem was that, although I oiled the gasket, it sat for about an hour before I installed it and the oil drained off. I put another on and it went OK. I think I like the flat gaskets better though.

I don't put any faith in that whole, "hand tighten only" rule either. Who's hand? Even my hand tight has changed as I've gotten older. I don't have the hand strength I did when I was 30.... And if my wife hand tightened my filters, every one of them would leak.

I always slip the wrench on it and give it a little extra. If you clean and lube the gasket, along with the mating surface, you will always be able to get it off.
I agree. I get it "hand tight," not gorilla tight, then give it about a 1/4-1/2 turn with a ratchet. I never had a gasket leak or a problem removing an oil filter that I installed.

I had a problem with a Genuine Toyota oil filter after they went to the Oring type gasket instead of the flat gasket. It leaked bad after I changed the filter and cranked. Turned out that the Oring had twisted when I installed it. I think the problem was that, although I oiled the gasket, it sat for about an hour before I installed it and the oil drained off. I put another on and it went OK. I think I like the flat gaskets better though.
I have gotten into the habit of using silicone grease on the Toyota O-Ring filters. O-Rings need all the help they can get.

Back