Leaking gasket

I noticed the other day the Fram PH3980 on my blazer was leaking at the gasket. Been using them almost exclusively since I bought the truck in 2017. I gave it a little crank to make sure it was tight and all was good.

I bought a ST this afternoon with what appears to have a thicker gasket so we shall see what happens. Never had this issue. The gasket seems fine after removal.

It shouldn’t matter as long as it seals, but I don’t like seeing the filter baseplate so close to the filter mounting surface. The new filter is about double the original when tightened.
IMG_6667.jpeg

Contact plus a turn. Been doing it like this for a while with zero issues.

The gasket was oiled too.

Had that same issue on my Ford Edge using a Motorcraft FL500S which I have used before many times. Filter was tight, oiled when installed, no double gasket like the others and still leaked. Replaced it with another and no issue. It happens. I use Wix filters now.

I torque the filters to 100 inch pounds with oil on the gasket. I arrived at that setting from trial and error.

80 inch pounds is probably plenty though.

Contact plus a turn. Been doing it like this for a while with zero issues.

The gasket was oiled too.
One turn is pretty darn tight on most oil filters with normal course threads (not very fine threads like some motorcycle filters). That's way more tight than just "snug" on the filters I've installed.

One turn is pretty darn tight on most oil filters with normal course threads (not very fine threads like some motorcycle filters). That's way more tight than just "snug" on the filters I've installed.
Not really. Most say 3/4 turn and there’s plenty of room for more. I just do 1 turn because it’s easy.

The filters I’ve needed wrenches/ tools for didn’t leak either.

Attach files
I torque the filters to 100 inch pounds with oil on the gasket. I arrived at that setting from trial and error.

80 inch pounds is probably plenty though.

Sounds about right, I normally tighten around 9.5 foot pounds which is about 13 newton meters as stated by Toyota service manuals.
I used to hand tighten my filters few years ago until I saw seepage telling me that hand-tight isn't enough. Getting a torque wrench and filter cap wrench is one of the best decisions I ever made. Not a single issue torquing down every filter since.

I noticed the other day the Fram PH3980 on my blazer was leaking at the gasket. Been using them almost exclusively since I bought the truck in 2017. I gave it a little crank to make sure it was tight and all was good.

I bought a ST this afternoon with what appears to have a thicker gasket so we shall see what happens. Never had this issue. The gasket seems fine after removal.

It shouldn’t matter as long as it seals, but I don’t like seeing the filter baseplate so close to the filter mounting surface. The new filter is about double the original when tightened.
View attachment 187794
Alrighty then. Scratch FRAM off my to use list then

Back