Toyota filters scratching my filter mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that my beloved Toyota oil filters (Denso made in Thailand)appear to scratch my oil filter mount, when installed properly according to directions. I noticed this on my 2TR-FE 4cyl Tacoma last oil change, and paid more attention to it this time.

Installation instructions are just like any other filter. Oil gasket. Spin on filter. Tighten 3/4 a turn once the gasket contacts the base. I know most people think hand tight is enough, but there is no way to tighten this filter by hand, reaching under exhaust, between the block and frame rail. This time I marked the filter with a paint pen, so I could see exactly 3/4 of a turn. Just past 1/2 turn, the outer crimp of the filter touches the filter mount, and since it's steel filter on aluminum it obviously does some damage. I don't think this will ever cause a leak with this same filter model, but other filters use a wider gasket might have an issue in the future. The toyota filters have a skinny o-ring type gasket, and only seal on the first half of the filter mount. Because of this, it's pretty easy to turn the filter that 1/2 turn.

I'm pretty particular about doing work correctly, so it bugs me when I can't follow the directions and do the job correctly. I've got another 6 Toyota oil filters to use up in the case I bought. It appears that the filter mount is removable from the block should it ever need to be replaced, but a real PITA to work on.

Just a rant...

Last edited:
Gonesurfing, I have the same problem as you. Toyota Oil filters use a very short gasket and it never fails with me either to scratch the filter mount. I just changed to using the Fram XG oil filter and I dont have that problem because this oil filter gasket is much thicker than the OEM one.

Originally Posted By: gonesurfing
Does the wider gasket touch on the scratched portion, or are non-Toyota filters pretty much the same outer diameter?

The non-toyota filters are pretty much the same outer diameter but its a lot thicker so that the gasket touches the scratched portion but not the base of the filter itself so it doesnt scratch.

Hi, gonesurfing, how bad was the scratch?
just wondering if you are going oversize, will the scratch affect the oversize filter...

I can feel it with my fingernail easily, but not so much otherwise. The next size up filter (90915-YZZD3) I believe has the same mounting dimensions, but is 1" taller. I'm more concerned that if I ever go back to NAPA gold, the wider gasket will not seal completely due to the scratch.

Interesting enough, the "torque stopper" gasket design is a Denso feature. I agree that it makes it easy to install the filter (turn until it won't turn anymore). But perhaps it shouldn't be used on aluminum filter mounts.

I will say that I do think the Denso filters from Thailand, are very well built and packaged. There is a different part number YZZG1, that is a cheaper version without the pre-lubricated oring and plastic sealant, but you'll pay the same price at the dealer. I bought a case of YZZD1's online that worked out to $4 a filter.

Last edited:
If you are using the "torque stopper" filter, how come you still scratch the mount?

For the YZZD3, yes, they have the same size gasket, and is taller. My car spec for F2 size but I went to F1 size.

Last edited:
Isn't the purpose of the torque stopper gasket to bottom out on the filter mount? The part that bottoms out and scratches the mount, is the outer edge of the can, where it is crimped to the base plate.

Should the torque stopper design not bottom out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back