Latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of 2023 January - Is it still a good choice?

I want to like the latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of the time of this post (2023 January).

I want to use Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317 filters for all my vehicles since it still has a rating of 99%+ efficiency @ 20 microns, and one of the highest filtration efficiencies of any filter at 15 microns and 10 microns.

But, I've read so many posts on this forum about how Fram was bought out by a company called "First Brands", who is repeatedly
cheapening the Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter to increase their profit.

Cost cutting resulted in:

[1] Removal of the wire backing, which is causing the filter pleats to be wavy instead of straight after only a few thousand miles of use.

[2] Moving from Synthetic Microglass filter media to a synthetic blend media with only a thin layer of synthetic media bonded to a Cellulose media?
Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

[3] People finding fuzzy hairs all on the filter media (possibly from the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters made in Brazil).
The fear is that these fuzzy hairs could detach from the filter and mix with the engine oil, causing engine wear.

So, is Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters still a 1st choice despite all the cost cutting, or should it be avoided due to the reductions in quality by "First Brands"?

Would I be better off using a lower efficiency OEM filter than to use a Fram Ultra filter if the Fram Ultra is infested with hairy fuzz or possibly harmful due to other cost cutting in the internals of the filter or filter media.

Thanks in advance for your insight and advise.

Last edited:
I just put one on my truck - first I have ever used. I watched the youtube cut opens and decided it was better than anything else in that price range.

My next choice would have been a microgard select but its a few bucks more and lower micron rating - so who knows.

I am trying to not use anything from MH anymore so my options are more limited.

What will you do? M&H is using the same strategy.

I know many obsess themselves over filtration statistics here but if the filter fits and is built well then I would use it.
Idea is to find a superb filtration filter and then stick with it for all my vehicles.
Since efficient filtration and high flow are usually inversely proportional, the only way to get both is to choose a filter with Synthetic media.
I wanted to settle on Fram Ultra filters for this, but my post is asking if all it's cost cutting negatives are a disqualifier for using it?

Unless independent data proves otherwise, the updated ultra guards seem fine to run.

1. While the wavy media really shouldn't be a thing, I haven't seen any tears.

2. Yes, the new media is dual-layer, many Fram Ultra competitors also are.

3. I feel like that thread was a snipe hunt. A fuzzball that could have came from anywhere on a filter that was ultimately proved to be authentic.

Unless independent data proves otherwise, the updated ultra guards seem fine to run.

1. While the wavy media really shouldn't be a thing, I haven't seen any tears.

2. Yes, the new media is dual-layer, many Fram Ultra competitors also are.

3. I feel like that thread was a snipe hunt. A fuzzball that could have came from anywhere on a filter that was ultimately proved to be authentic.
Thanks. For point #3, it is a valid concern, if BITOG posters are buying new Fram Ultra's made in Fram's new manufacturing plant in Brazil and having fuzzy hairs on and inside the filter media, it is a valid concern. I never heard of any other filter having that, and who knows if those hairs could break free and mix with oil and cause engine wear. For a premium filter, we shouldn't have to worry about such a concern.

Remember in the 1980's and 1990's, Mercedes had the highest quality and reliability of any car brand, with most Mercedes cars capable of going 400k miles. Then they started cheaping their quality, cutting costs on quality assurance (with reliability suffering) after the year 2000, and now they are the most unreliable car brand of all brands reviewed by Consumer Reports magazine. I fear the same thing is happening to Fram Ultra filters.

Last edited:
Thanks. For point #3, it is a valid concern, if BITOG posters are buying new Fram Ultra's made in Fram's new manufacturing plant in Brazil and having fuzzy hairs on and inside the filter media, it is a valid concern. I never heard of any other filter having that, and who knows if those hairs could break free and mix with oil and cause engine wear. For a premium filter, we shouldn't have to worry about such a concern.
Since it's a dual-layer media and the fuzzy layer is on the outside, the fuzz is going to get trapped and would never be on the inside.

Oil systems would have to run in reverse for that to be an issue.

Remember in the 1980's and 1990's, Mercedes had the highest quality and reliability of any car brand, with most Mercedes cars capable of going 400k miles. Then they started cheaping their quality, cutting costs on quality assurance (with reliability suffering) after the year 2000, and now they are the most unreliable car brand of all brands reviewed by Consumer Reports magazine. I fear the same thing is happening to Fram Ultra filters.

Fram's making oil filters in Brazil now?

So, is Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters still a 1st choice despite all the cost cutting, or should it be avoided due to the reductions in quality by "First Brands"?
The media isn't failing in use on the new Ultras - nobody has shown that's happening. The pleats don't look as straight/good on the new non-wire backed Ultras after use, but that doesn't really matter as long as the media isn't failing/tearing. If you want that high efficiency, and don't over run the rated mileage on the filter in use, then IMO it's still a decent choice of high efficiency filters on the market for the price. If you're paranoid about it, just run them to say 10K to 12K miles since they are still rated for 20K miles.

Would I be better off using a lower efficiency OEM filter than to use a Fram Ultra filter if the Fram Ultra is infested with hairy fuzz or possibly harmful due to other cost cutting in the internals of the filter or filter media.
"Infested with hairy fuzz" ... where you getting that idea? The old Ultra with the wire baced media is more "fuzzy" than the new Ultras.

Since efficient filtration and high flow are usually inversely proportional, the only way to get both is to choose a filter with Synthetic media.
Not always true ... guess you've never seen the multiple posting of the Purolator PureOne flow vs delta-p graph. The PureOne is not full synthetic. There are other factors involved too when flow vs delta-p performance is concerned ... like total media area.

"Infested with hairy fuzz" ... where you getting that idea? The old Ultra with the wire baced media is more "fuzzy" than the new Ultras.
I was referring to the photos of new Fram Ultras with hairy fuzz on this post:

I was referring to the photos of Fram Ultras with hairy fuzz on this post:
The inside media surface doesn't look "fuzzy". Like said earlier, the old Ultra was way more fuzzy on the outside than the new Ultra, and they are also not fuzzy on the inside surface.

1674176857912.png

I just got 3 of XG7317 from Walmart - ordered online around Christmas - date code A2320 - or 320th day of 2022 I think. Made in USA.

Are they going to Brazil? Maybe I should order some more soon. I like to buy made in USA whenever possible.
If you read through this post, it talks about the Fram Ultra's made in Brazil.

The inside media surface doesn't look "fuzzy". Like said earlier, the old Ultra was way more fuzzy on the outside than the new Ultra, and they are also not fuzzy on the inside surface.

View attachment 136329

So, you are saying that the new Fram Ultra's have less fuzz then the previous "better" Fram Ultra's that had the wire mesh support?
What is your final verdict on the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters sold currently.
Are they a good premium filter solution that you would run on all your vehicle(s), or do you have any doubts.

If you read through this post, it talks about the Fram Ultra's made in Brazil.

Hmm, cartridge filter. Wonder if their going to make cartridges in one place and cans in another - which wouldn't be unusual.

Or ship the whole lot to Brazil?

Think I will order some more while I wait to find out. I am happy so for with the XG7317. Mind you I run short OCI so probably doesn't matter much for me.

So, you are saying that the new Fram Ultra's have less fuzz then the previous "better" Fram Ultra's that had the wire mesh support?
Yes, the new Ultras look less "fuzzy" on the outside surface than the old Ultras. And neither are "fuzzy" on the inside surface of the media.

What is your final verdict on the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters sold currently.
Are they a good premium filter solution that you would run on all your vehicle(s), or do you have any doubts.
See post #9. I don't think some slightly wavy pleats after use would stop me from using any oil filter that has other redeeming qualities.

I kind of went down this path 6 months ago. The issue you have is lack of alternatives. Its not a matter of how great the Fram is or is not. What options do you have? There aren't that many.

When you rule out the MH - and many of us have, present company included, you have very few options left at the higher end.

Back