Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

I have reused filters twice on cars and motorcycles several times w/o any problems. Only thing I absolutely use only once before changing are;

DP1026201720333893C
Turn them inside out and get another day or two.

I use OBERG oil filters on a couple of my engines. And generally always use them for anything that is a "built" engine. These filters are servable by cleaning them. The servicing is a little more involved when changing the sump oil taking the oil filter service from a nice 30 minutes to about an hour. What is my point... well simple not many on this forum take apart their oil filters and look at the filtering elements each time they change an oil filter but I guarantee if you saw what gest caught and filtered out of the oil even on 3-5k mile service many of you would stop the poor habit of not changing the oil filter each time you do a sump fluid change!

This is my BABY Oberg. The other are twice this size. Oh and MOPAR use to offer them as kit in MOPAR Performance Parts.
The efficiency looks to be around 99% @ 200 microns. What is the efficiency rating?

Last edited:
On a "built" or rebuilt motor....
Yeah definitely change that oil filter every single time. Especially if it a high performance motor with any additional ons for more power.

On a routine regularly run stock motor... It is not a big deal. I have cut oil filters off my car with 2 runs on them. They were perfect and the filter media had nothing visible in the pleats. Human eye can see 70 microns and larger in size.

Attachments

• IMG_20160920_170828428.jpg
    IMG_20160920_170828428.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20160629_204010640.jpg
    IMG_20160629_204010640.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 19
Would I use an oil filter longer than two service intervals? No. I understand trying to get good value out of premium and/or extended life filters and I would run a filter for two intervals, but two is as far as I would go, even if the mileage across those two intervals falls far short of the maximum mileage printed on the filter box. My $0.02

Sure, why stop with leaving the “dirty” oil in the oil filter? Maybe just tear down the engine on every oil change, pull the oil pan & valve cover, just hose the whole inside of the engine down with Brakleen?? Wonder how all those old Hondas made it TWO oil changes on cheap filters, with old dino oil left in them?:unsure:

You should read this thread startng from the linked post. Oil filters can become less efficienct as they load up, and it starts way before the filter is totally loaded and close to bypass delta-p.

ZeeOSix,

Thanks for pointing me to that discussion. I missed it. Lot's of great information.

Let's say you have a premium oil filter and like running 5,000 mile oil changes. Would you ever run a filter thru say 3-4 oil changes?

If you have run the filter thru 2 or more changes, do you dump the old oil out or just leave it in the filter/cannister?

I am debating running my Fram Ultra thru 2 changes. I have never done that before.
Good idea. Why fix something if it isn't broke? ;)
(Note signature)

I would not hesitate to run an Ultra (or any other high mileage rated oil filter) for two OCIs of 5K miles each unless the motor was a sludge monster. Any engine that's had 5K OCIs it's entire life will never be a sludge monster.

Oh look ... says change the oil filter every other oil change. Must be those lazy engineers again. 🤫

1632379558007.jpg

1632379598244.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Honda's recommendation of changing filters less often than oil is more about saving money for dealers and customers. Many customers will not follow a maintenance schedule that calls for frequent fluid and filter changes at their expense. All the automakers know this and have made adjustments.

That's why you see "lifetime fill" on automatic transmissions that used to have 30,000–mile ATF and filter service intervals. The car will last through the warranty period on the cheaper maintenance schedule, but after that...

My suspicion is that the the life of automatic transmissions in most vehicles has actually declined in recent years because of "lifetime ATF" replacing fluid changes. Salvage yards will tell you more vehicles are junked for trans failures than for engine failures.

Cutting back engine oil filter changes is more of the same warped "logic". The really bright side for the automakers is increased sales of expensive reman engines.

Honda's recommendation of changing filters less often than oil is more about saving money for dealers and customers. Many customers will not follow a maintenance schedule that calls for frequent fluid and filter changes at their expense. All the automakers know this and have made adjustments.

That's why you see "lifetime fill" on automatic transmissions that used to have 30,000–mile ATF and filter service intervals. The car will last through the warranty period on the cheaper maintenance schedule, but after that...

My suspicion is that the the life of automatic transmissions in most vehicles has actually declined in recent years because of "lifetime ATF" replacing fluid changes. Salvage yards will tell you more vehicles are junked for trans failures than for engine failures.

Cutting back engine oil filter changes is more of the same warped "logic". The really bright side for the automakers is increased sales of expensive reman engines.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What amazes me are the number of people who buy into this twisted "logic", only because it's easier. Not because it's the smart move from a mechanical and maintenance standpoint.

Seriously, it's all about what you're running-$1.50-$2 RA Champ Ecores or Premium Guard cheap filters, sure, every time. OG Ultra, RP, even M1-every other time is fine. I've done the 20,000 mile wire backed Ultra run, I could have ran it FORTY!

Reactions: JC1

How is “lifetime” ATF related to running an XG10575 for two 5K OCI ?

Back