Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

Let's say you have a premium oil filter and like running 5,000 mile oil changes. Would you ever run a filter thru say 3-4 oil changes?

If you have run the filter thru 2 or more changes, do you dump the old oil out or just leave it in the filter/cannister?

I am debating running my Fram Ultra thru 2 changes. I have never done that before.

I do this with the old design Fram Ultras. I leave the oil in the filter and galleries. Looking at the dipstick ( after taking a run and wiping it off) afterwards it’s still golden. The volume of old oil left is inconsequential IMHO. I do two 5,000 miles runs.

I don’t bother pulling off the old filter to drain it. If I was to crawl underneath for that, I would put on a new filter. :)

I ran double changes on some vehicles - Fram XG mostly 5k x 2 … most I did was 16k on a M1
Once I use up some PF63E filters - will do again on GM … already in the works on Jeep …
As Snag mentioned … the oil really looked new …
Never remove to drain …

Last edited:
No reason to do this, unless the filter is hideously expensive or obscure.

The only example I can think of is those VW models with that weird spin-on filter with the hex key, where the Fram Ultra is over $30. In that case, I'd run it the full 20k recommended and go 3-5 years on it :sneaky:

I left my oil filter on my Camry for 20,000 miles. That cartridge design is a pain to change and I had some health issues at the time.

If I removed the filter, I'd put on a new one. I'm not trying to save $8 be extending the filter, I'm avoiding the inconvenience of replacing the filter.

Let's say you have a premium oil filter and like running 5,000 mile oil changes. Would you ever run a filter thru say 3-4 oil changes?

If you have run the filter thru 2 or more changes, do you dump the old oil out or just leave it in the filter/cannister?

I am debating running my Fram Ultra thru 2 changes. I have never done that before.
That should be fine assuming miles over the 2 changes will be less than 20,000.
I have run 2x oil changes on 1 Fram Ultra, but contemplating discontinuing due to new design.

I have reused filters twice on cars and motorcycles several times w/o any problems. Only thing I absolutely use only once before changing are;

DP1026201720333893C

No, wouldn't do it. On our CRV'S, the lower engine cover plate has to be removed/replaced to change the oil and filter. I am no longer able to change oil myself due to age and osteoarthritis, so my mechanic at my Honda dealer does the change with the oil/ filter I provide. I get the bundle deal at AAP on M1 0W-20 EP and M110A for usually under $36 (recently with an additional $15 rebate!) and do changes at 5k. With the bundle price the filter is essentially free, can't see the logic of NOT changing it as the labor (less than $40 including a tire rotation and Multipoint inspection) is the same. I guess I'm too old-school, but the logic of changing oil and leaving a half-quart+ of dirty oil in the filter and passageways just doesn't make sense to me.

I can't imagine a single good reason for doing this. Seriously, what are you saving $6.00, if that. Not to mention you're leaving a substantial amount of dirty oil in the crankcase by doing it. It takes 5 minutes to remove and replace a spin on filter. And you have everything clean, fresh, and ready to go.

Can you do it and get away with it? Sure, but again why would you? I'm not seeing ANY reward in going through all the hassle of an oil change, and doing it what amounts to half assed, by leaving a dirty filter and oil in the system.

Well for the first thing that comes to mind oil filter are inexpensive and while it is almost impossible in most average driving in USA you could likely go several oil changes alone without coming close to filling the filtering capacity of most any oil filter why would you want to change the oil and then mix it with the remaining oil in the filter? I guess????? IMHO its a "lazy" oil change?

Honda has advised to leave the oil filter in place for (2) oil changes for quite some time. On their vehicles with their Maintenance Minder, when the oil life gets down to 15% or lower and code A# pops up, that means change the oil (and rotate tires, etc). It does NOT mean change the oil and filter. When it's time to change the oil and filter, it will be a B# code.

So can you do it ? Yes. Are you going to destroy an engine by doing this ? No.

No reason to do this, unless the filter is hideously expensive or obscure.

The only example I can think of is those VW models with that weird spin-on filter with the hex key, where the Fram Ultra is over $30. In that case, I'd run it the full 20k recommended and go 3-5 years on it :sneaky:
I can't imagine a single good reason for doing this. Seriously, what are you saving $6.00, if that. Not to mention you're leaving a substantial amount of dirty oil in the crankcase by doing it. It takes 5 minutes to remove and replace a spin on filter. And you have everything clean, fresh, and ready to go.

Can you do it and get away with it? Sure, but again why would you? I'm not seeing ANY reward in going through all the hassle of an oil change, and doing it what amounts to half assed, by leaving a dirty filter and oil in the system.

Except that an oil filter actually gets more efficient at trapping smaller particles as the media gets filled with filtered particles. That is, up until the filter media gets so full that oil no longer efficiently passes through the media, and instead the filter goes into bypass almost continually.

But if a filter is claimed by the manufacturer as being for long life use, say 15k or 20k, that should not happen. Unless, of course, one has an engine that has previously been neglected and still has a lot of sludge in it.

Except that an oil filter actually gets more efficient at trapping smaller particles as the media gets filled with filtered particles. That is, up until the filter media gets so full that oil no longer efficiently passes through the media, and instead the filter goes into bypass almost continually.

But if a filter is claimed by the manufacturer as being for long life use, say 15k or 20k, that should not happen. Unless, of course, one has an engine that has previously been neglected and still has a lot of sludge in it.
I used to believe this, but this is not the case. Testing shows filtration efficiency decreases with time/use.
In the case of Fram it is so good from the start that I wouldn't concern myself with the drop off in efficiency.

Back