Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

Chrysler and Honda, and even VW, IIRC, were all recommending oil filter changes at 15k miles (every other 7.5k mile) intervals back in the 90's. Nothing new here. I've left oil filters on for years with no issues.

I just can’t it’s too natural to change out the filter each oil change. If anything you’re short changing the oil.

Just figuratively speaking.. a premium filter meant to run 10k should be used with synthetic oil that in most cases unless direct injection can go the same haul as the filter. So what’s the moral of this story you wanting to save yourself the hassle and extra expense of swapping out a filter each oil change.

So go ahead just leave it in place for two oil changes or if you’re not dealing with direct injection just run full synthetic and your premium filter to 10k

Another thing to factor into this whole equation, is oil filter size. In the 70's, 80's and even well into the 90's, full size oil filters were the norm on most all engines. My 1991 Ford 5.0 uses the full size Motorcraft FL-1A, (PH-8A Fram). Today you have these tiny mini filters everywhere. The oil filter on my 2018 Camry is the same size that's used on the V twin Briggs & Stratton Vanguard, and several motorcycles. (My 1984 V-65 Magna Honda had a bigger filter)..... And a much shorter OCI.

I doubt all of these tiny filters have half the filtering media that a PH-8A full size oil filter does..... And now they're telling you to leave it on twice as long?? For what? What's the upside of doing this? Saving $5.00, and the 5 minutes it takes to change it out twice a year? That's not enough of an incentive for me. In fact, it's no incentive at all.

Another thing is, today all of these engineers are being pushed by their companies, to conform to meet and exceed CAFE mileage requirements. And A LOT of things are going wrong because of it. Toyota now has engines that are plagued with seizing piston rings, that are gouging into cylinder walls. And Honda is having massive fuel / oil dilution problems, that have brought about several class action law suits, to name just two.

Toyota has said more frequent oil changes can help eliminate this. (See above video).... And Honda SHOULD BE SAYING IT. I can't think of anything much worse for a modern engine, than introducing gasoline into these already water thin oils they're using. All in an attempt to squeeze out every last fraction of MPG. This is all becoming a big Catch 22, as to what NOT to do, in order to keep your engine alive longer.

And one last thing. I can't speak for other engines, but on my 5.7 HEMI in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, once I pull the dirty filter off, a LOT of dirty oil continues to drain from the filter nipple. Add that to the filter full of dirty oil, and not changing it is a bit like peeing in the bathtub before you get in. I just can't see any common sense in it. It's not worth arguing about, let alone actually doing it.

Another thing to factor into this whole equation, is oil filter size. In the 70's, 80's and even well into the 90's, full size oil filters were the norm on most all engines. My 1991 Ford 5.0 uses the full size Motorcraft FL-1A, (PH-8A Fram). Today you have these tiny mini filters everywhere. The oil filter on my 2018 Camry is the same size that's used on the V twin Briggs & Stratton Vanguard, and several motorcycles. (My 1984 V-65 Magna Honda had a bigger filter)..... And a much shorter OCI.

I doubt all of these tiny filters have half the filtering media that a PH-8A full size oil filter does..... And now they're telling you to leave it on twice as long?? For what? What's the upside of doing this? Saving $5.00, and the 5 minutes it takes to change it out twice a year? That's not enough of an incentive for me. In fact, it's no incentive at all.
Yes, the trend by some of the car manufacturers has been to down size the oil filter. Newer cleaner running engines along with the good oil of today (and regular sceduled maintenance) don't generate debris like the older engines did. So the oil filter can be down sized some to match the recommended OCI.

Of course, there's typically an up-sized filter people can use if they want too. And there's also full syntetic media filters to choose which will have higher holding capacity for their size.

Another thing is, today all of these engineers are being pushed by their companies, to conform to meet and exceed CAFE mileage requirements. And A LOT of things are going wrong because of it. Toyota now has engines that are plagued with seizing piston rings, that are gouging into cylinder walls. And Honda is having massive fuel / oil dilution problems, that have brought about several class action law suits, to name just two.

Toyota has said more frequent oil changes can help eliminate this. (See above video).... And Honda SHOULD BE SAYING IT. I can't think of anything much worse for a modern engine, than introducing gasoline into these already water thin oils they're using. All in an attempt to squeeze out every last fraction of MPG. This is all becoming a big Catch 22, as to what NOT to do, in order to keep your engine alive longer.
That's why a lot of guys here go up a grade or two in viscosity and do shorter OCIs than what the manual calls out. More tailoring beyond the manual recomedations if people want to.

Last edited:
I just can’t it’s too natural to change out the filter each oil change. If anything you’re short changing the oil.

Just figuratively speaking.. a premium filter meant to run 10k should be used with synthetic oil that in most cases unless direct injection can go the same haul as the filter. So what’s the moral of this story you wanting to save yourself the hassle and extra expense of swapping out a filter each oil change.

So go ahead just leave it in place for two oil changes or if you’re not dealing with direct injection just run full synthetic and your premium filter to 10k

Why would the filter care what oil is being run through it? Are you contending the fuel in the oil damages the filter somehow?

What about filters designed and rated to run to 20K? Mobil 1, Fram Ultra / titanium, Wix XP/ Napa platinum, Amsoil...or 15K like the boss.

Have you let these guys know they have it wrong?..... you could write a letter (very strongly worded)

What I dont like doing is throwing away half used products for no reason, If I had ANY evidence that the filter manufacturers, or auto maker had this wrong, or I saw any evidence in the filters I cut open (I cut every one), or in the UOA's - I wouldn't do it.

Why would the filter care what oil is being run through it? Are you contending the fuel in the oil damages the filter somehow?

What about filters designed and rated to run to 20K? Mobil 1, Fram Ultra / titanium, Wix XP/ Napa platinum, Amsoil...or 15K like the boss.

Have you let these guys know they have it wrong?..... you could write a letter (very strongly worded)

What I dont like doing is throwing away half used products for no reason, If I had ANY evidence that the filter manufacturers, or auto maker had this wrong, or I saw any evidence in the filters I cut open (I cut every one), or in the UOA's - I wouldn't do it.
Wasn't looking to offend you I used the word "figuratively"... ill cut it short just run a longer oil change interval. You'll save on half used oil.

Do Honda dealers leave the filter on one more time? I don't think they do for the most part. Besides, like all dealers they want to add conditioner and snake oil to pad the profit while they have you on the hook.

I'm tempted to break old habit and start using for 2 OCI's. But if I do it'll because I'm changing oil at 5k intervals on something rated for 10k OCI's.
This is what I started doing for my vehicles with Fram Ultras.

Another well used point for every time changing is filters capture particles, and leaving them in the filter means that much more chance they get forced through the media by increasing diff. pressure or they fly through the bypass if the filter has an internal one.

On triple use, Ive been doing that for about 60K in my titan.

I'll change oil in my truck at about 6-7K and keep the filter on for 3, just shy of 20K or very slightly over.

I've yet to see anything in the pleats (no carbon chunk- nothing), but the wall where the mag is has had plenty of crud on it.

The thin wall of the ultra that makes it a downside if exposed offeroad, lets it work better with a mag.

As long as that crud isnt going through my timing chain and bearings Im a happier guy

On triple use, Ive been doing that for about 60K in my titan.

I'll change oil in my truck at about 6-7K and keep the filter on for 3, just shy of 20K or very slightly over.

I've yet to see anything in the pleats (no carbon chunk- nothing), but the wall where the mag is has had plenty of crud on it.

The thin wall of the ultra that makes it a downside if exposed offeroad, lets it work better with a mag.

As long as that crud isnt going through my timing chain and bearings Im a happier guy
Trying to understand, your oil filters capture no particles, or just don’t see the ones the eye can’t see? Just on a I don’t know about that basis I couldn’t leave a used filter on two three oil changes. Maybe I see it as I just want to get all the particles away as much as I can. Besides I buy too many filters and need to use them.

Trying to understand, your oil filters capture no particles, or just don’t see the ones the eye can’t see? Just on a I don’t know about that basis I couldn’t leave a used filter on two three oil changes. Maybe I see it as I just want to get all the particles away as much as I can. Besides I buy too many filters and need to use them.

Im sure its catching something, I just dont see it.

I'm flushing synth oil fairly frequently this way so nothing really builds up.

The vast majority of the particles are suspended in the oil not in collected in the filter- dumping the oil dumps the particles.

I change my oil on little used vehicles at around 12 months whether it needs it or not. Now that I use semi synthetic or synthetic oil exclusively, it probably doesnt actually need it, but oil in use has been proven to degrade over time so it does have to be changed sometime. But where a filter is designed to filter for say 10k miles and the oil change occurs when the oil has only done 2k miles then the filter is obviously good for another 8k, provided it does not degrade over the next 12 months to the degree there is a practical detrimental effect. It may even be good for more than another 8k miles as its filtering clean oil after every oil change.

As Ive not seen any evidence of filters degrading due to time in use over periods up to 3 years, then there is no reason to change a perfectly functional item. Its a no brainer.

I realise people see it differently, if the book says change the filter every oil change, then it must be done whether or not there is a practical reason to do so. Thats fine, they will waste some of there money and sleep well at night knowing they did it by the book.

I will spend the money I saved on more toys. They say the man who dies with the most toys wins and if this is true I will beat many people.

Last edited:
I changed my oil and installed a new Mobil I "Boss" filter rated for 15k miles. My plan is to run it for 2 changes. Being retired I don't drive as much as before, and my odometer hasn't worked in years, so I've been changing my oil once a year. My best guess is I have around 250k miles on the ol girl, and I'm betting I'll have rust problems or trans problems before the engine gives it up.,,,

Back