WM Synthetic Oil Prices

I've been monitoring synthetic oil prices at WM lately : M1 and Pennzoil Platinum ($26) , QSFS ($21) .
Castrol (not a fan) and Valvoline (I am a fan) are out of the running as their oil prices are $32+ for a 5 qrt. jug .
*Interesting that M1 EP is the same price as M1 AFE , so it would seem that the M1 EP is the best buy at $26 per jug .
*QSFS still has got to be the best $21 budget oil on the market made by a major oil manufacturer .

I've been monitoring synthetic oil prices at WM lately : M1 and Pennzoil Platinum ($26) , QSFS ($21) .
Castrol (not a fan) and Valvoline (I am a fan) are out of the running as their oil prices are $32+ for a 5 qrt. jug .
*Interesting that M1 EP is the same price as M1 AFE , so it would seem that the M1 EP is the best buy at $26 per jug .
*QSFS still has got to be the best $21 budget oil on the market made by a major oil manufacturer .

I'm constantly perplexed that my Wally has Mobil EP for under $30 ($29 everyday price and RollBack $26) while the Valvoline extended product is $32-$34 for the same 5qt jug. Does the "V" have that kind of committed customer to where they don't need to compete with the $$ or is this more of a localized Wally situation?

Side note: While Valvoline has always had a presence in my Wally, it is only lately Valvoline is getting end-shelf status with a much higher stock of product. Most of that product is Advanced and EP lines.

Our Wally World is up and down on its inventory. They had no Pennzoil Platinum non-Euro, and the QS was in other weights except 5W30.

This is what I found today. Again, they're not an exact match, but they're at least 5W30. 🥴

Attachments

• 2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (1).jpg
    2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (1).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 103
  • 2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (2).jpg
    2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (2).jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (3).jpg
    2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (3).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (4).jpg
    2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (4).jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (5).jpg
    2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (5).jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (6).jpg
    2022-12-09 Walmart Oil Prices (6).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 107
Today at the local walmart, no QS at all.. Hasn't been there in a couple of weeks.. Lots of Supertech, valvoline, castrol, mobil 1 too. oh and the price for 5w30 QS (Tag was on shelf) it's more expensive than Supertech full syn 10k version.. but wasn't everyone lately posting as if in a hysteria about a "price hike" for Supertech? saying it was more money that QS..Again.. Not true where I am in Michigan.. almost like the hype was to sell more QS..

Our Wally World is up and down on its inventory. They had no Pennzoil Platinum non-Euro, and the QS was in other weights except 5W30.

This is what I found today. Again, they're not an exact match, but they're at least 5W30. 🥴

Hardly any QS at my 3 Wal Marts. $23 and up for oils: NUTS. I’ll stick with frequenting Rural King

I'm constantly perplexed that my Wally has Mobil EP for under $30 ($29 everyday price and RollBack $26) while the Valvoline extended product is $32-$34 for the same 5qt jug. Does the "V" have that kind of committed customer to where they don't need to compete with the $$ or is this more of a localized Wally situation?
My local Walmarts are the same way. Valvoline used to be a great value against M1, but now that it's more expensive than M1 or Pennzoil, I don't get it.

I'm not going to pay about 23% more money for a run of the mill API spec'd oil from a blender that probably purchased their basestocks from XOM or Shell, when I can pay less 23% less for the vertically integrated XOM or Shell finished product instead.

That said, if Valvoline costed 23% less than M1 or Pennzoil Platinum, then I would've (and have before) chosen their product instead and run with confidence. But I'm never going to pay  more for Valvoline.

My local Walmarts are the same way. Valvoline used to be a great value against M1, but now that it's more expensive than M1 or Pennzoil, I don't get it.

I'm not going to pay about 23% more money for a run of the mill API spec'd oil from a blender that probably purchased their basestocks from XOM or Shell, when I can pay less 23% less for the vertically integrated XOM or Shell finished product instead.

That said, if Valvoline costed 23% less than M1 or Pennzoil Platinum, then I would've (and have before) chosen their product instead and run with confidence. But I'm never going to pay  more for Valvoline.
New owners have to pay for the high cost of overhead. They didn't buy Valvoline on the cheap would be my guess. So they move from the buy list to the ignore list. Hello Quaker State and Kirkland brand.

New owners have to pay for the high cost of overhead. They didn't buy Valvoline on the cheap would be my guess. So they move from the buy list to the ignore list. Hello Quaker State and Kirkland brand.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The price hike along with the reversion back to a standard/cheaper cap design happened right around the same time as the purchase. Not a fan of a new owners either, which is another reason why even if they lowered their pricing to match Mobil and Pennzoil, it's still a no thanks from me.

If Quaker State offered a high mileage full synthetic then they would be my go-to brand.

I’ve mentioned this in the other Walmart oil price threads - I’ve become an on line oil buyer.

My last several cases were from @High Performance Lubricants - of course, but I would buy oil when Amazon had a good price. I would buy only from Amazon. No third parties. Never an issue with “used” oil, like Walmart, or leaking jugs, as happens with some shippers.

A few minutes clicking on the iPad and I’m good to go. Driving to our nearest Walmart and walking the aisles is an hour of my time ( and time is the one thing of which I’m very short ) with no guarantee of selection or price. I just don’t enjoy it.

I’ve bought jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30, Castrol Edge 0W40 and Mobil 1 Euro 0W40 for $22-$24 each. Free shipping. They’re all about $40 each right now, but that’s why I stocked up when prices were reasonable. I’ve still got several jugs of the PUP, for example, which will be the next couple of years of oil changes on the Tundra.

Walmart on line would be my choice before walking into a Walmart. Buy enough to qualify for free shipping, when it’s a good price, and stack it on the shelf for the future. I’ve done the same with ammo, but that’s another thread…

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The price hike along with the reversion back to a standard/cheaper cap design happened right around the same time as the purchase. Not a fan of a new owners either, which is another reason why even if they lowered their pricing to match Mobil and Pennzoil, it's still a no thanks from me.

If Quaker State offered a high mileage full synthetic then they would be my go-to brand.
You mean like this? https://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/p...WRhcHBfMTUwNTIyMjk1LnN0YXRpYy9pZnJhbWUuaHRtbA

So just looked it up, and Valvoline has a price drop. So either they got the message, or maybe the new owners wanted to set a high price impression and then make you think its a deal at $27 bucks. Also note that in the past I have found things online with a price drop, where in store still at the old price, so if buying in person be careful.

1670690520742.jpg

Back