..prices up again at WM ...10-3-08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mpersell
According to the trade press, Lubes and Greases, it will continue to go up until about February because the suppliers of base oil don't believe the downward trend of oil will last.

That's just silly...when oil goes up, the oil goes up. When it goes down, the oil goes UP? because suppliers don't believe the downward prices will last?

There are some collusion games being played here. This needs to be fixed. A barrel of oil has gone down 50 percent since its high and motor oil continues to go up. Yet, everyone in the industry says there is no gouging going on.

Originally Posted By: globey
According to the trade press, Lubes and Greases, it will continue to go up until about February because the suppliers of base oil don't believe the downward trend of oil will last.

That's just silly...when oil goes up, the oil goes up. When it goes down, the oil goes UP? because suppliers don't believe the downward prices will last?

There are some collusion games being played here. This needs to be fixed. A barrel of oil has gone down 50 percent since its high and motor oil continues to go up. Yet, everyone in the industry says there is no gouging going on.

The gouging has been going on in the last 5 years. Look at the oil companys' profits.

Just saw the WalMart ad on TV for PZ HM 5qt jugs for $12. The fine print sated that "good at participating locations". That gets them off the hook if they want to raise the price.

SAMS has a case (12 qts) of YB 10w-30 for an insane price of $36.56

BUT.... they also have what seems to be the new style of packing that contains three 5 qts jugs (15 qts) for $32.88 which comes closer to the prices everyone has become used to.... still high.

Was in WallyWorld today and the QS 5 qt jugs went from $9.47 to $12, the same as Pennzoil YB jugs. One qt Pennzoil YB up to $3.57.
shocked2.gif
Lately the pricing at WalMart makes no sense. Saw the Q-torque 5 qt jugs for $17.??. But at another display area they were priced at $23.
crazy2.gif
They had Valvoline A/C 5 qt jugs Rolledbacked to $11. Welcome to the days of ever increasing inflation. Glad I took advantage of the Valvoline gallon jug BOGO at AAP.

Tell me about it...read the "Low prices at WM" thread and finally got around to going out last Tuesday.

$26 for a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 SuperSyn

Last edited:
I am seeing less reason to go to Walmart all the time. I am finding that the Autoparts stores run some nice specials from time to time and if I am going to pay the same the experience is more pleasant at a little Auto parts store than walking through a Walmart.

I would tend to agree something will have to happen. Rotella is $22.97 at ripoff Redding Calif. Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Yary
Originally Posted By: globey

The gouging has been going on in the last 5 years. Look at the oil companys' profits.

It's more complicated than that. Oil companys only have a 8-9% profit margin. The number is so big because the price of oil is higher. Speculators caused the run-up in prices above and beyond what the normal market forces would have and now we are seeing the correction back the other way. IMO, it is going to be a bumpy ride the next 9-15 months. That is when I think we will see the bottom in the economy. Hang on folks.

As far as WM, they are out to make a buck just like everyone else. A lot of times one can find better deals at another store thanks to entry point pricing.

Anywho,the price of an oil change is still the cheapest part of owning a car.

Quote:
motor oil at the retail level is a much better indicator of inflation than crude oil.

I'd also suspect that it takes a bit to make it to the end user level. I don't think motor oil is treated like a commodity like frozen orange juice.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I'd also suspect that it takes a bit to make it to the end user level. I don't think motor oil is treated like a commodity like frozen orange juice.

Remember that old Eddie Murphy / Dan Akyrod movie 'Trading Places.' The climax of that movie has to deal with the price of FCOJ - Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

It's odd all the pricing inconsistency at Walmart these days. I thought they used some sort of central computer for that?

$26 for the HM is $5 cheaper per jug for you than it is for me, which is pretty darned significant IMO. Buy, buy, buy!

Main issue is transportation cost that have to be passed on. Having worked in a Wal-Mart distribution center in my way younger days and having business trips that have taken me to Montana (not Wal-Mart related), all things are not equal.

A quart of oil will not sell at the same price in every Wal-Mart due to transportation and logistics cost that have to be passed on. In the case of Montana, Montana is not on the way to anywhere of sizeable importance that major manufacturing transportation cost can be defrayed. Whatever Wal-Mart distribution center that serves your Montana area is probably more remote and the vendors that transport to it, are probably incurring more cost and that cost is transferred on to you.

Prices are still stable here. 22.74/5qrts M1, 5.97/qrt M1, PP, Syn Pwr and Maxlife Syn. PP 5qrts 19, Valvo Syn 5qrts 10, Valvo Maxlife Syn 20/5qrts, Maxlife 13/5qrts, and RTS 20/gal. All as of this evening.

Latest news bulletin from LNG publications.

Some of the base oil refineries are just now getting up to speed after having been shut down for 2-4 weeks due to storm precautions or damage.

The polled suppliers stated tight supplies and an unpredictable market for their latest increases or continued raised prices in light of a 37% drop in crude prices.

No freebates for a while. Seems worth having a year's stash on-hand and doubling-up when sales are available.

Do the country (world) a favor and avoid Wal*Mart. You all have heard the reasons, and there are many. They are not good for anything but cheap prices. And the difference is next to nothing or even better if you shop specials at the auto parts stores. Auto Zone's regular prices on Rotella (both 15 and 5 40) are within 1% of WM, and you can still get CI-4 plus 5-40 there. Other brands are very close as well.
If you continue to buy everything at WM, you better prepare to work for them someday. They are getting into just about EVERY type of business. Banking, insurance, travel, hospitality, auto sales, legal, medical etc. And there will be more--you can bet on it. They will come for your job and mine. Remember--service comes at a price. Try to get any kind of competent service or advice from WM. It's not going to happen. They are the poster child of the dumbing down and the decline of America, in my opinion. Patronize them at your own long term risk. Hope you look good in a blue vest.

They're just well ahead of the curve on the future.

I hardy ever go there ..and I tend to find less and less satisfaction from the oil section. I still grab a MC and/or ST filter or two for the lower mile members of the extended fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back