"Full" Synthetic Pricing at WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to WM yesterday to swap a few more jugs of M1 0W-20 AFE for M1 0W-20 EP and could not help but notice all main stream "full" synthetic brands were the same price - $25.17 (except RP and QSUD). So Pennzoil (Platinum and Ultra), SynPower, M1 (Regular and EP), and Castrol Edge were all priced the same.

Seems like a shopper's landscape...pick your favorite brand and roll.

Same at my Walmart. Ultra was about 3 bucks higher than Platinum for a jug, but now the same. I don't know what is going on or how long it will last, but I like it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I went to WM yesterday to swap a few more jugs of M1 0W-20 AFE for M1 0W-20 EP and could not help but notice all main stream "full" synthetic brands were the same price - $25.17 (except RP and QSUD). So Pennzoil (Platinum and Ultra), SynPower, M1 (Regular and EP), and Castrol Edge were all priced the same.

I'm outraged! Just a couple months ago they were $24.97! Heads will roll for that massive price increase! Just another big corporation stickin' it to the man!

He He
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
I just wish we still had the Ultra at Walmarts around here
frown.gif

Just visited a brand-new WalMart in our area. Good oil selection with all shelves filled but no Ultra and no places for it. Based on this and Pennzoil's response that they have no current intention of bottling it in 5 quart jugs, I wouldn't be surprised if Ultra is not in Wal Mart's plans. Even if it is, it'll be pricey in individual quarts.

No Ultra at the three South Bay WMs I visited recently though they surprisingly have Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn. I hadn't seen this oil around these parts ever before.

The new PPPP looks good enough I don't think it's worth the trouble to have to "hunt" for Ultra.

Same prices at my Wal-Mart (small store) in west central Indiana. 20 miles away at Super Wal-Mart they were re-arranging the oil shelf and were putting up PPPP but only in 5W-30 5 quart containers. My little local WM had carried Ultra but were phasing it out. Only had a few jugs left of 5W-20 at $21.00 clearance. The Super's hadn't carried Ultra for two years. And it seems the only syn blends left to buy there are Motorcraft and Castrol SynBlend. Seems they are phasing those out too. Used to be able to get DuraBlend and every other kind of blend.

But they are starting to carry more diesel oil such as DELO synthetic and even Motorcraft in 10W-30 HDEO. Still no Delvac1.

I decided on using Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W-20 for the new Jeep since the jugs have MS-6395 on them and I'm only going with 6000 mile OCI's. Could have done any brand I suppose but this will be fine.

I know some people can't stand Wal-Mart but at $10 cheaper per jug across the board...I can't see going across the street to Advance Auto or Napa.

Last edited:
I have rarely found synthetics priced differently at Walmart, and only then is it a special promotion by Valvoline or Pennzoil to have oil marked at $22.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
How much is the QSUD? Why would anyone buy the regular oils over EP or Ultra if they're the same price?

It is $21 and change here for the QSUD. $4.00 cheaper than the others. Anyone know why? The 3 jugs they had on the shelf had dust on them and a date of 2012.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I have rarely found synthetics priced differently at Walmart, and only then is it a special promotion by Valvoline or Pennzoil to have oil marked at $22.

Your WM has a "style" of pricing then. Historically, in the south Texas WMs, PU was 27ish versus 24ish for PP as was M1 EP at 27ish and regular M1 at 24ish. They have had specials down to the 21ish range for PP and regular M1, but PU and EP have always been more. Just seems strange that all mainstream synthetics are priced the same; I was at another today and all of them were $25.17 except QSUD ($20.57) and ST ($18.97).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Thank your lucky stars your synthetics are around $25 for a 5 quart jug! Up here in Canada most are andywhere from $48 - $55 for that same jug, even at WalMart...however, I have noticed at our local Walmart a few of the sythetics have now dropped from a regular price of $48 to $39, so a bit better, but nothing compared to what you enjoy!

Imagine my happiness that I'm heading down South on Monday! WalMart here I come!!!

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Why would anyone buy the regular oils over EP or Ultra if they're the same price?

Agreed, except in the case of "regular" M1 0W-40!
wink.gif

M1 0W-40 is difference animal, if XOM has M1 EP 0W40 at the same price then I will try it.

Local Walmart in So Cal have similar price, $25.17 for all synthetic except QSUD and ST. It looks like this new synthetic pricing is company-wide.

Last edited:
HTSS_TR
There's no such oil as Mobil 1 0W-40 EP. There's just Mobil 1 0W-40. Being a long drain, robust oil, it's all the "EP" anyone needs.
wink.gif

Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
HTSS_TR
There's no such oil as Mobil 1 0W-40 EP. There's just Mobil 1 0W-40. Being a long drain, robust oil, it's all the "EP" anyone needs.
wink.gif

Gary

Beat me to it!!
thumbsup2.gif

This is slightly off topic, but how is the Kendall 0W-20 Full Syn doing? I'm thinking of buying some Kendall Full Syn 5W-30 for my Dakota after I use up my 76 Super.....maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back