..prices up again at WM ...10-3-08

Status
Not open for further replies.
You skeerd me so I went down to stalk up on Motercraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20. BIG sign said Price Roll back to $13 so that's OK $2.6

So I grab 3 jugs. At the counter she rings up $11.24/ or $2.25/qt.

Thats the same as I paid last month. Now I have 4 jugs of it sweet. That's good for 50k mils in my Fit Woot!

5.5qt Maxlife blend was $12 at the Walmart I was at yesterday. Wish they had that instead of the regular Valvoline that I got last time for $10. Not bad for a name brand.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
motor oil at the retail level is a much better indicator of inflation than crude oil.

I'd also suspect that it takes a bit to make it to the end user level. I don't think motor oil is treated like a commodity like frozen orange juice.

--I can understand that, but certainly, with oil costing much less than it did several months ago, price increasing isn't more. Perhaps additives went up, but wouldn't the lower price of oil offset that? I can even see if this has to take months to play out. BUT, I will not buy it's because base oil suppliers don't think the lower prices will last...that's why they are keeping the inflated prices.

Take gas, for instance. We heard fuel suppliers and gas station owners complain that the price of gas isn't going up proportionally with the rising price of oil and they were barely breaking even. Oil drops 50 percent and prices aren't dropping proportionally either. So it seems they are "getting" us to make up for their perceived loss of profits. How long this will last, who knows.

Originally Posted By: JDD
Do the country (world) a favor and avoid Wal*Mart. You all have heard the reasons, and there are many. They are not good for anything but cheap prices. And the difference is next to nothing or even better if you shop specials at the auto parts stores. Auto Zone's regular prices on Rotella (both 15 and 5 40) are within 1% of WM, and you can still get CI-4 plus 5-40 there. Other brands are very close as well.
If you continue to buy everything at WM, you better prepare to work for them someday. They are getting into just about EVERY type of business. Banking, insurance, travel, hospitality, auto sales, legal, medical etc. And there will be more--you can bet on it. They will come for your job and mine. Remember--service comes at a price. Try to get any kind of competent service or advice from WM. It's not going to happen. They are the poster child of the dumbing down and the decline of America, in my opinion. Patronize them at your own long term risk. Hope you look good in a blue vest.

I think you'll find a lot of allies here in your fight against Wal-Mart. I was saying this seven or eight years ago and my co-workers used to laugh at me and call me paranoid.

I agree...Wal-Mart is just making it easier for these guys to completely cross them off their list. A lot of guys here ONLY went to Wal-Mart because of the cheap oil prices...now it seems even this isn't becoming such a great deal.

Well, looks like it is time to fill a cart with oil and get funny looks while prices are still semi-cheap here. Castrol is out of my price range of affordability. I will either horde the Valvoline or Pennzoil 5w20 jugs that they have.

Originally Posted By: globey
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
motor oil at the retail level is a much better indicator of inflation than crude oil.

I'd also suspect that it takes a bit to make it to the end user level. I don't think motor oil is treated like a commodity like frozen orange juice.

--I can understand that, but certainly, with oil costing much less than it did several months ago, price increasing isn't more. Perhaps additives went up, but wouldn't the lower price of oil offset that? I can even see if this has to take months to play out. BUT, I will not buy it's because base oil suppliers don't think the lower prices will last...that's why they are keeping the inflated prices.

Take gas, for instance. We heard fuel suppliers and gas station owners complain that the price of gas isn't going up proportionally with the rising price of oil and they were barely breaking even. Oil drops 50 percent and prices aren't dropping proportionally either. So it seems they are "getting" us to make up for their perceived loss of profits. How long this will last, who knows.

IIRC the reason the prices aren't coming down and are still rising is because the oil blenders believe that crude oil prices are going back up again. Probably so, and while they are slightly lower why not grab a little extra profit while waiting for them to go back up?

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Prices are still stable here. 22.74/5qrts M1, 5.97/qrt M1, PP, Syn Pwr and Maxlife Syn. PP 5qrts 19, Valvo Syn 5qrts 10, Valvo Maxlife Syn 20/5qrts, Maxlife 13/5qrts, and RTS 20/gal. All as of this evening.

Valvoline Syn 5qts $10? That's amazing! Typo?

My local Wal-Mart is now out of stock on SuperTech 5w30. (And my oil stash is rich with SuperTech 5w30)

$9 for 5 quarts, can't beat it. SuperTech dino was the ONLY product that had not had a price increase at my Wal-Mart yet. I am going back in a few days for more.

Last edited:
Bought 5 qt jug of Pennz 5W20 for 12 bucks...shelves are pretty barren......big price jump for sure...16 bucks for 5qts of Castrol?? No thanks

Goose
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back