“Will It Run?” videos, seem suspicious to me.

vice grip garage, junkyard digs, and old roadkill videos are some of my favorites. too bad roadkill became subscription only.

that impala was knockin on heavens door at the beginning of the video, I'm surprised it made it to their destination.

LOL That was the one where they installed a catch can because it had so much blowby. Every hundred miles or so they had to stop and empty the catch can right back into the engine!
Yeah that one was fun. Sometimes nothing goes wrong and it's a bit too boring. Lol.

Yeah that one was fun. Sometimes nothing goes wrong and it's a bit too boring. Lol.
Yeah, that was pretty good. I'm hoping they do a vid on a teardown, just what gave up in that mill. Thing is, that wouldn't make a full vid, so it might show up on... whatever other social media sites they have, that I don't go to. Which would be a bummer, but... plenty of other content to watch.

Dunno bout that. Dave's Farm was doing that around 2009 or 10. Back when You Tubes limited video length.
I don't know who was first on You Tube, but coldwarmotors first will it run video was April 2010.

I have a different experience but the only “will it run” videos I watch are from VGG, Diesel Creek and The Bearded Mechanic. They all seem very genuine.

I’m sure they are someone selective in what there buying but they have lots of failures.

I’m sure for guys like Derrick it has to be exhausting, he must be the hardest working YouTuber out there.

These videos are not being streamed live ... Of course you only see the successful ones .
Except for the ones that weren't successful. Sometimes they make it partway home. Often brakes are the hardest part. It really isn't that hard to get an engine running with a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump, or an electric in line pump. They can almost always get it running. It's the transmission and brakes that make the getting home part hard.

My dad’s 79 Caprice Classic has been parked in my brothers yard for at least 20 years now. It only has about 75k miles on it. About once a year I tell myself I’m going to see if I can get it running, but then I lose enthusiasm. Maybe I should film myself giving it a try.

My dad’s 79 Caprice Classic has been parked in my brothers yard for at least 20 years now. It only has about 75k miles on it. About once a year I tell myself I’m going to see if I can get it running, but then I lose enthusiasm. Maybe I should film myself giving it a try.
Sounds like a fun project, even if you don't film yourself. Just scope it out first, make sure the bottom half is still there. Up here, it wouldn't be.

These videos are not being streamed live ... Of course you only see the successful ones .
This. Plus there is a lot of editing done to cut out the "struggling bits" of the process. If half of their videos were just showing them walking back and forth to the tool box because they grabbed the wrong wrench, or trying 30 times to start the engine before cleaning the carburetor, nobody would watch. These videos are usually filmed over the course of several days often weeks.

• Love
Reactions: D60
This. Plus there is a lot of editing done to cut out the "struggling bits" of the process. If half of their videos were just showing them walking back and forth to the tool box because they grabbed the wrong wrench, or trying 30 times to start the engine before cleaning the carburetor, nobody would watch. These videos are usually filmed over the course of several days often weeks.
Man that's what always made me chuckle about shows like Hot Rod TV: standing in a pristine shop with expensive race-deck-esque floor, nary a bit of grease under your fingernails.....and you assemble most of a small block starting with a bare block in ~5 minutes. Plus you never get the least bit dirty doing it and everything goes together perfectly. It's so fast and easy. Anybody can be a master tech, it's so simple

Back