“Will It Run?” videos, seem suspicious to me.

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve seen at least one “will it run?” Video. A YouTuber introduces a chosen vehicle to take a roadtrip or just get running at all. Usually it’s in a junkyard or farm field - been sitting for years too. I used to highly enjoy watching these videos, until after watching a dozen or so more, I got tired of the predictable results. Except for one memorable exception, every single vehicle has ran and moved on its own power.

It’s getting annoying.

These YouTubers make it seem like there is a plethora of easily fixable cars all across American junkyards and farms. The decayed junky cars just need a battery and some point cleaning, and some starting fluid, and bam! They start - Almost every time.

But I can’t help but wonder; what about the failures? Why don’t more of these videos end with total failure? No head gasket issues, no engine knocking, no seized engines. Why? Do you think these YouTubers omit these videos due to lack of view potential, or they make sure to pre-screen these cars behind the scenes? What do you guys think? I’m smelling fish.

Nearly all the ones that I have seen seem to be legit. There are so many that jumped on that bandwagon in the past ten years. I'm sure that some are questionable, but I pretty much stick with the same half dozen channels. I've seen many that start with stuck engines, stuck valves, etc. and may take multiple days to get running. Also carb and stater rebuilds. Sometimes a bad rod bearing, etc. becomes evident then.

Coldwarmotors, a terrific You Tube channel from Alberta, CA., is said to be the originator of the "will it run" video. They've been on for about 13 years. The Jonathan W channel has done countless ones in the past. Including oddities like a Franklin, V-12 LaFrance and flathead Cadillac V-8. He has been on a massive collection of restored antique steam engines at his home in recent years and hasn't done a lot of car videos of late. Another truly impressive wrench and fabricator.

Last edited:
They aren't airing the vehicles that don't run and drive, because that's not a good video.
Exactly. Why would you post a video of a car that ended up seized or has a hole in the side of the block.

Basically all cars ran when they were parked. So why wouldn't they run once you clean the points, hook up a good battery, pour some gas down the carb and fire it up? All you need is fuel, spark, and air to make an engine run. But it's got to be in the right timing and have decent compression.

I could let my old '96 Jeep sit out in the driveway for 20 years and film my own video after changing the battery and some fresh gas. It absolutely would run. It's a mechanical object, not a person that you medically induce a coma for 20 years and then wake them up and tell them to go run a mile.

Some of these are entertaining, like the ones running a boat gas tank from the passenger seat.

Imagine someone taking a dumpy car, fixing all the body work, clearing all the codes, and getting it a proper state inspection!

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve seen at least one “will it run?” Video. A YouTuber introduces a chosen vehicle to take a roadtrip or just get running at all. Usually it’s in a junkyard or farm field - been sitting for years too. I used to highly enjoy watching these videos, until after watching a dozen or so more, I got tired of the predictable results. Except for one memorable exception, every single vehicle has ran and moved on its own power.

It’s getting annoying.

These YouTubers make it seem like there is a plethora of easily fixable cars all across American junkyards and farms. The decayed junky cars just need a battery and some point cleaning, and some starting fluid, and bam! They start - Almost every time.

But I can’t help but wonder; what about the failures? Why don’t more of these videos end with total failure? No head gasket issues, no engine knocking, no seized engines. Why? Do you think these YouTubers omit these videos due to lack of view potential, or they make sure to pre-screen these cars behind the scenes? What do you guys think? I’m smelling fish.
I watch them all the time and I have seen a lot of failures. Vice Grip Garage is one of my favorite and there have been a lot of vehicles that didn't make it home. Not sure what guys you're watching but you're experience has been different than mine.

It’s getting annoying.

In Colorado apparently people throw out everything including high mileage vehicles that run. On more than one occasion I've had junkyard employees point out vehicles that ran when they came in. 20 years ago I went to a yard to get wheels for my Mazda. They had a 94 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 that ran when it was brought in. I had to show the owner how rare it was, and to please don't junk it. I didn't have the money to buy it. He had no Idea that only 800 were made in 93 and 1100 in 94.

There are a few that have really ridden the struggle bus. Jennings Motorsports is definitely one. Lots of stuck engines and valves that he generally able to free up and make run.. But he isn't road tripping his.. and he doesn't always win. Deboss has done a few - some road going vehicles and some equipment, and not all of his were "put a battery and fuel in it and go". Some of his were definitely hard fought and ended in defeat.

Been watching Dylan McCool sounds like. Most cars just get parked from little annoyances or small issues so a high success rate seems probable to me. As mention VGG has had alot of failures.. few others but can't think of them. Diesels seems to be alot easier to revive.

I love those shows and they are very entertaining to say the least. I have to admire the mechanical skills this guy has to even get these old cars fired up. Throw in the cheapest oil and filter and do whatever it takes to make it home. Some of the comments and mis pronunciation of words is total comedy. I would like a VG garage hat.

Do you think these YouTubers omit these videos due to lack of view potential, or they make sure to pre-screen these cars behind the scenes? What do you guys think? I’m smelling fish.
I think you don't understand the point of them having YT channels and making these videos. 🤣 They ain't doing these to see "will it run" !

Junkyard Digs had a lot on interesting ones especially the farm equipment, Vic Grip & Deboss are more favorites. I always enjoyed the roadkill series so there is that too.

Junkyard Digs especially has had some that had no business running for a cross country trip but they did anyway.

There have been a few that just didn't run, or didn't run well. And sometimes ones that look like they're a sure bet to run well will have issues..... Derek at VGG bought an old Buick (I think?) that had once been his dad's and it looked like a really nice car but he didn't make it home before having to call a trailer for it to get the rest of the way.

My only disappointment is there is rarely any follow-up. Channel host buys junked old car, gets it running, drives it hundreds of miles to get it home in spite of all manner of challenges, and then we never see it again. Did he sell it? Park it out back forever? Maybe once in awhile they need to make an "update" video telling what's going on with all the cars they've bought in the last year.

Nearly all the ones that I have seen seem to be legit. There are so many that jumped on that bandwagon in the past ten years. I'm sure that some are questionable, but I pretty much stick with the same half dozen channels. I've seen many that start with stuck engines, stuck valves, etc. and may take multiple days to get running. Also carb and stater rebuilds. Sometimes a bad rod bearing, etc. becomes evident then.

Coldwarmotors, a terrific You Tube channel from Alberta, CA., is said to be the originator of the "will it run" video. They've been on for about 13 years. The Jonathan W channel has done countless ones in the past. Including oddities like a Franklin, V-12 LaFrance and flathead Cadillac V-8. He has been on a massive collection of restored antique steam engines at his home in recent years and hasn't done a lot of car videos of late. Another truly impressive wrench and fabricator.
Dunno bout that. Dave's Farm was doing that around 2009 or 10. Back when You Tubes limited video length.

Can't stand that Cold War Motors. Almost as bad as the Half Assed Custom.

Junkyard Digs had a lot on interesting ones especially the farm equipment, Vic Grip & Deboss are more favorites. I always enjoyed the roadkill series so there is that too.

Junkyard Digs especially has had some that had no business running for a cross country trip but they did anyway.
The impala recently just barely made it. The engine was junk. They have had a few Oldsmobiles that successfully made it a long ways home.

It’s getting annoying.

LOL I can think of about 1000 more annoying things on Youtube than "will it run" videos.

I think they are legit, because I've done similar things in my own life, just not on video. There have been some failures I've watched, but for the most part they pick vehicles or equipment that have potential, and there is a TON of work done off camera. The stuff they check out that will need more resources than they have to get running doesn't make the cut and won't be filmed. For the channels I've watched, it really is pretty simple. Most of the vehicles are in farms and junkyards that they either know the person, or the person is a viewer and recommended they look at the vehicle. Even as a small engine mechanic, I can't count the number of times someone has approached me and said "hey I have this X piece of equipment sitting in a friend's uncle's brother's yard if you want it". Just like small engines, as long as the old vehicle's engine isn't seized and has decent compression (which I'm sure they check beforehand) some carb and ignition work and it will usually fire up.

I 100% think they screen everything beforehand (otherwise it would be a huge waste of time filming) and I'm sure there are projects that don't make it on screen due to road blocks. I mean if every project a channel posted ended in failure, nobody would watch.

The original poster has a terrible take. He says he is getting annoyed, but nobody is forcing him to watch these videos. The numbers don't lie and show that these "will it run and make it home" videos are crowd pleasers. With regard to whether they are legit, I think they are. Cars come off the road when they become too much trouble to keep on the road. Some might not run, but in most cases, the cars fall apart around solid engines. Consumer society does not allow us to be content with cars that look worn out. Still, as the years go by, we end up missing those cars. And we love to see them come back. The cars that you see have usually been "saved" by someone, with the idea that they will one day be restored. Most old wrecks end up in the crusher. All of that adds up to these videos being legitimate. The simple fact is that cars are junked without all that much being wrong. Further, we are conditioned to get rid of cars when they are still able to offer more.

Back