Pentastar 3.6 plastic oil cooler failure in police vehicles.

So to start off, I do actually like the pentastar and cannot believe the power it has when paired with an awesome tranny. Need some opinions.

PA state police have some 2022 and 2023 dodge chargers so they have not had them long enough to develop any pattern failures. In watching youtube videos, in addition to reading some hear say on some other forums, I was wondering if this can be an issue to cause a engine compartment fire.

For civilian use, the plastic oil cooler will fail, and it will cause coolant or oil to make a horrific smell, triggering the owner to replace. Problem solved.

In police use, these will seep for some time, then in a high speed chase I am hearing the plastic will burst and hot oil will ignite. I watched one last night on youtube.

Hot oil on a hot engine is a no brainier, but how often is this a reality?

Aside from typical stellantis quality issues, these new chargers look really appealing to own. Especially if they go for a bargain price at auction.

Need some opinions.
This is the right place to ask for opinions!

First, are the new coolers really leaking? I have my doubts.

I was wondering if this can be an issue to cause a engine compartment fire.
I don't believe so, because the filter housing oil leak will fill the valley between the heads and run over the dam in the casting at the rear of the block. When the oil does run over, it runs down the trans bell housing, then onto the ground. It doesn't come in contact with the exhaust system.

This is a picture I took when changing the oil cooler in my Durango
IMG_3703.JPG

For civilian use, the plastic oil cooler will fail, and it will cause coolant or oil to make a horrific smell, triggering the owner to replace. Problem solved.
I've never heard of coolant leaking from the cracked cooler, only oil. I smelled a faint smell of oil, but zero horrific smell. The civilian oil cooler and police oil cooler is the same.

In police use, these will seep for some time, then in a high speed chase I am hearing the plastic will burst and hot oil will ignite.
I have heard that the plastic plugs can be pushed out, but the oil pressure isn't as high at high RPMs at it is on cold starts. I observe just less than 100 psi on cold starts and during high RPMs with hot oil, when the pump switches to the high side, I'll see maybe 75 psi. I don't believe the oil spraying during high speed pursuits is occurring at any regularity. A corner case or two, sure, but not often.

Hot oil on a hot engine is a no brainier, but how often is this a reality?
See previous response.

Last edited:
Easy replacement. Pop the hood from time to time and look for tell-tail signs of a leak. Replace when it starts to avoid the big clean up mess. Never heard of any fires from these. Aftermarket aluminum housing style is cheaper than the OEM Mopar part iirc. You are pretty much out of luck for American full size sedan's unless you want a Mopar.

When I read about these coolers, someone said the design screamed Mercedes design from the Daimler-Chrysler era.
A MB guy rejected the claim vehemently.
Pentastar plant started up early 2010. Daimler sold their interests in 2007.

Screaming MB isn't really a stretch on that timeline.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't tapped all the oil / coolant bosses in the valley and run hoses for external mounts for everything. I know if I was younger I would do it.

The newer Chargers 2020 to present haven’t had the cooler issues as prior years. More concerned about valvetrain issues. Poss why they are cycling them out early to avoid costly repairs.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't tapped all the oil / coolant bosses in the valley and run hoses for external mounts for everything. I know if I was younger I would do it.
I was thinking about it, but I see no benefit other than running HPL out to 100k miles with bypass oil filtration.

I know all the guys who have replaced one or read about replacing one are the experts but, Look the “plugs” so to say in the front leak as well as the o rings can wear that go into and against the block

There are 2 different o rings now a red and a black one. The 2022 and earlier now use a red o ring that comes in the package to install with an OE oil cooler

I have seen easily over 100 coolers probably 4 digit number and I really don’t think I have ever seen the cap area cracked. Yes leaking from an incorrect o ring, missing o ring, o ring in incorrect groove, or not tight enough but never cracked. The hex area usually rounds before that

There isn’t much wrong with the OE one. Yes it leaks. It’s not a difficult or uncommon replacement. Should it last longer sure but it is what it is

Reactions: D60
Back