Will GM and Chrysler Bankruptcy Kill Ford??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Lets see
A warehouse to close in Barny Franks state -na ah. One call to GM its now underconsideration
GM wanted to bring in small cars from China?(quik and simple problem solved)
na ah ,union balked,not going to happen now

Two early examples of "non interferance"

I would really be p!$$ed off if GM brought in cars from China. We need to save jobs in this country, not outsource more. That's the problem with this economy. We don't have the manufacturing we used to have and cannot continue running huge deficits and empowering commis China at the same time.

Last edited:
I doubt if there will be a Ever be a G.M. or Chrysler in my future. My friend has a Ferrari and I spent a whole lot of time replacing the A/C hoses and the timing belts and the fuel hoses [pretty car],,,there is no way I would buy a Fiat and feel pleased with the purchase.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Vizzy said:
How about a class action suit against the last four decades of management at GM and Chrysler that REQUIRES them and the BoD to repay all their salaries, bonuses and compensation for gross negligence? I'd love to see that!!!!!!!!
I would certainly run the corp into the ground for their compensation.

Quote:
Unions represent the entire working class in this country, because without them, there would be no middle working class.
That is the absolute truth. Just look at the standard of livivng we had in the overall population .Soon there will be just an upper class and a lower class like any other third would country. Also an over priced under performing Government.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: cousincletus
I believe the loans to the automakers will work out only if this country mans up and starts slapping import tariffs on the foreign competition.

If we "Man up"?
crackmeup2.gif

Why doesn't the UAW "Man Up" and make a real car.
crackmeup2.gif
It is no accident that GM has gone from 51% market share to less than 20% and now many Americans have freely chosen imports.
The companies failed because of the overpriced management making poor decisions . The last 2 CEOS raped the company for quick profits and turned a great corporation to an embarasement to the taxpayers,if they have a clue.

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Lets see
A warehouse to close in Barny Franks state -na ah. One call to GM its now underconsideration
GM wanted to bring in small cars from China?(quik and simple problem solved)
na ah ,union balked,not going to happen now

Two early examples of "non interferance"

I would really be p!$$ed off if GM brought in cars from China. We need to save jobs in this country, not outsource more. That's the problem with this economy. We don't have the manufacturing we used to have and cannot continue running huge deficits and empowering commis China at the same time.

I agree ,but it illustrates the difficulty of non interferance from Obama,and tough choises that have to made.
GM is caught between a rock and a hard place

Unions represent the entire working class in this country, because without them, there would be no middle working class.

Unions are only ~12% of the working population in this country, yet total compensation continues to rise.

There are less "middle class" because people have been moving UP, not down.

Unions had a role in the past but have now become the very thing they were formed to fight...corrupt monopolies.

If you think tariffs are good for American jobs then you need to look up the Smoot Holly tariff act and see how well that worked.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

If you think tariffs are good for American jobs then you need to look up the Smoot Holly tariff act and see how well that worked.

It was the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, it was written by two Republican congressmen, and was passed into law by Herbert Hoover after the '29 crash. Unions had nothing to do with that disaster.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

It was the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act, it was written by two Republican congressmen, and was passed into law by Herbert Hoover after the '29 crash. Unions had nothing to do with that disaster.

Thanks for the spelling correction and I don't believe I said that the unions had anything to do with the act?

Unions are only ~12% of the working population in this country, yet total compensation continues to rise.

There are less "middle class" because people have been moving UP, not down.

Unions had a role in the past but have now become the very thing they were formed to fight...corrupt monopolies.

12% is a monopoly?

Quote:
12% is a monopoly?

They have a monopoly on what they do. If you work at GM do you get to choose what union you belong to?

Some states are right to work states so you don't have to belong to the union to work there. I agree that unions though have become what they originally were against, only I call it big business, because that is what unions have become. However without the unions even now the standard of living would fall off since companies that aren't union will pay higher to keep their good help. For all the complaining about unions, especially by business, I've always noticed that they don't have a problem taking their money when they buy a house, car or any number of other things.

Unions came about because of human nature,some of those in charge (foreman) will tend to abuse workers under them(send me your wife tonight).
Like any organization created with such a narrow focus (right a wrong) what happens after its success?
It never goes away because its a good go for the people that run it,"lets fix this now ',thats not fair' or we need............and so on.They really are workers business managers now ,thats their job and they do it well ,(remember how fast they folded more then once in the last 6 months)Management failed to resist them for the most part . Reagen signaled the end when he fired the air traffic controlers ('72?) since then unions have been under steady attack and membership has been dropping ever since,just the ebb and flow of our culture.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maybe the new GM will finally figure out the pushrod engine, they have been working on it long enough.
The engines aren't the problem.

What's the big deal? Are you anti-union or something? If so, then just don't work for a union company. Pretty simple solution.
I put the blame on the CEOs and their pay. Roger Smith and Bob Wagner ruined a great corp.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If, it had been a loan like was made to Chrysler back when Lee was in charge, and paid back over a period of time, I have no problem with it.
What saved Chrysler is all the government purchases of Chrysler cars.

That's a fiction perpetrated by the union bosses, because if the unions disappeared then the bosses would have to find some real work to do, like robbing convenience stores or defrauding elderly ladies.

The $780 billion stimulus bill had, in the fine print, requirements that public works projects only be contracted to companies that hire union workers. As a result, the money will not pay to repair as many miles of road, or build as many new classrooms... and of course fewer workers will be hired. There's only so much to go around, even in the biggest pork barrel spending bill in the history of the world.

My idea would be to tax any income over around 1 million bucks a year at the 90%+ level.

I'd like to see a reasonable standard deduction, maybe $10k a year, then tax every bit of income above that level at the same rate. 10% sounds about right -- that would be a tax cut for most everyone who pays taxes now, and a slight increase for those who don't pay any taxes and thus do not contribute to the necessary operations of the government.

What, you say 10% would not generate enough revenue? Well, not at the current rate of spending -- but current spending is insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back