This is from a w123 240d that has sat outside since at least 2008. During re-animation all fluids and filters (amonst lots of other stuff) were changed - except the fuel. The tank was full to the brim, so we were slightly optimistic it might have survived, even though the fuel was nearly black (with a reddish hue). A can of diesel biocide was added, as algae/ diesel pest was not unlikely.
After 250km the first signs of loss of power could be observed (running uphill at Autobahn speeds). Power slowly deteriorated. A couple hundred kms later, driveability was severely impaired; immediately before the filter change, the car was struggling to maintain city speeds and would only be able to go with the flow of traffic in the flats - any incline, such as an overpass, would have her lose even more speed.
Both prefilter and main filter were changed after ~850km.
The pre-filter was completely plugged - for a short video see here.
After changing both filters, the car regained it's top speed of 155km/h (confirmed by GPS).

The red stuff may look like rust, but it is very smooth to the touch. There is no grainy structure, nothing hard or sharp, as I would expect from rust. This is - at least predominantly - organic. (It may well be that the red colour comes from very small rust particles - as there was water in the fuel ("eyelets" could easily be observed when emptying the filters, just like fat swimming on a hearty soup...).

Main filter may possibly have been able to go longer. I am currently wicking the filter element dry to hopefully get a better impression of the paper.
Note that the red slime is to be found also on the clean side of the filter, albeit less thick.
A "new" tank is waiting at a friend's place, but it will probably be spring until we can install it. Given that the slime has made it past the filter element, I shall surely purge the fuel system once I got the new tank and have run a tankful or two through the engine.

Finally: the pictures!
Filter1.jpgfilter3.jpgfilter4.jpgfilter5.jpgfilter6.jpgfilter7.jpgfilter8.jpgfilter9.jpgfilter10.jpgfilter11.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, That filter is plugged. Keep at it & you'll iron out the debris eventually. A new tank is a wise investment here since it's the first point in the fuel system. Great work!

If you have that much water in the filter, I’d be pretty concerned about what’s in the tank.

Prudent would be to drain the tank, pull the in tank strainer, check what’s in there. Then fill with fresh diesel and a dose of biocide.

Carry lots of prefilters. May be smart to run a Racor in front of you care about the IP.

Then after it’s all done, send the injectors to
Greazzer on the peach parts forum. He is currently running an OM616 special.

Here’s a filter setup I put on a 1993 w140, which didn’t have any bio growth but had some surface rusting on the fuel filler neck and cap:

IMG_5732.jpeg

Last edited:
Back