GM to begin prevention of Apple carplay and Android Auto use in new models beginning in 2024

Mercedes' audio and navigation have been highly proprietary since at least the early 2000s. Some Chinese manufacturers have introduced limited aftermarket replacements for the MB audio/ navigation, but they have many quirks and are often a massive undertaking to install/ get working.

One of many big complaints about MB is they stop supporting navigation updates not far after a vehicle was manufactured, and there are no aftermarket alternative since the system is proprietary. With these latest designs from MB, I speculate no aftermarket or third-party solutions will be feasible, because the proprietary technology is doing more than ever.

Mercedes' audio and navigation have been highly proprietary since at least the early 2000s. Some Chinese manufacturers have introduced limited aftermarket replacements for the MB audio/ navigation, but they have many quirks and are often a massive undertaking to install/ get working.

One of many big complaints about MB is they stop supporting navigation updates not far after a vehicle was manufactured, and there are no aftermarket alternative since the system is proprietary. With these latest designs from MB, I speculate no aftermarket or third-party solutions will be feasible, because the proprietary technology is doing more than ever.
Well … while all the drama was going on here - I read Google Maps would be free plus other Google things … for 8 years on GM …
But again, as UD says - get ready for more subscriptions …
Sure common in the IT world …
Google is the best of any in my signature …

I suppose the car will also complain mightily if an aftermarket stereo is installed.
It either won't be possible ( Ford- sync three that controls just about everything in the vehicle) or will be prohibitively expensive.

I'm not sure how practical, or possible, in most cars built in the past ~10 years.
Metra does make dash kits for many newer GM/Ford/FCA products. They even make dash kits for the newest Toyotas - since the new Toyota deck is made by Pioneer or Denso Ten based off a 1DIN head, but a “tablet” display. Someone was able to install a new Pioneer “modular” display deck into a current RAV4 - and even used the stock Toyota trim around the Pioneer.

Toyota’s been dropping support for their navigation systems after 10 years, the gen 1-6 systems were obsolete when they debuted but are no longer supported for maps, and there’s a good change gen 7-10 will lose map support in the next 4 years or sooner. There’s Chinese Android replacements for some models, others have a hacked sidecar system that will interface via the GVIF pins and MD/CD emulation if a 2DIN deck can’t be installed easily - BeatSonic had a dash and RGB interface for some Lexus models.

The trend in the aftermarket is to keep the factory head unit but use code to work with factory ANC, start-stop(cars with start-stop undervolt the audio system to reduce battery load) and infotainment so you can replace the factory amp and speakers. The solutions are either simple(iDatalink Maestro or PAC Audio amp interface), complicated(Kicker Key), or very complex(AudioControl/JL Audio/Audison DSP, Zen Audio, or anything to intercept the MOST bus or TOSLINK/SPDIF and translate to a “clean, square” analog output for an amp).

Leave it to Govt motors to decide for their "customers" what a better user experience is.

People will buy other vehicles for this reason alone. - some people are at this point integrated with their phone.

People will buy other vehicles for this reason alone
Some will, but it will be a very low percentage of buyers and they're likely to know this change/limitation ahead of time. Most buyers will find out later, after they're taken the vehicle home, and they start setting things up. They won't know where the capless-fuel funnel is (from reading the manual) but they'll dig into how to connect their phone !

Some will, but it will be a very low percentage of buyers and they're likely to know this change/limitation ahead of time. Most buyers will find out later, after they're taken the vehicle home, and they start setting things up. They won't know where the capless-fuel funnel is (from reading the manual) but they'll dig into how to connect their phone !
I very respectuflly disagree. Maybe for us old farts, and maybe for the very small percentage of the population that are "car people".

Most under 30 has no care in the world what car they drive - other than color - but they sure care about what phone they carry. The first thing sales people show you is infotainment, and the first thing the modern reviews talk about is infotainment, so if GM thinks they can keep up with Google and Apple - well best of luck.

I very respectuflly disagree. Maybe for us old farts, and maybe for the very small percentage of the population that are "car people".

Most under 30 has no care in the world what car they drive - other than color - but they sure care about what phone they carry. The first thing sales people show you is infotainment, and the first thing the modern reviews talk about is infotainment, so if GM thinks they can keep up with Google and Apple - well best of luck.
Not one salesman ever showed us infotainment - they helped us setup OnStar on the GM’s and did nothing more than spit shine the other brands … Or, try to sell aftermarket crap …
Amazing how many pretend they’d buy one anyway …

so if GM thinks they can keep up with Google and Apple - well best of luck.
They don't need to keep up with Google, they're using Google. If the phone connects, they can make calls, use navigation, and some audio streaming apps, most buyers will be happy.

I am curious how Google will implement text ability with iPhones though. And before anyone rants about this, using this is nowhere near the same as "texting and driving".

Apple and Google want to sell licenses and GM isnt biting.

Look for connectivity license sales (subscriptions) coming.

They don't need to keep up with Google, they're using Google. If the phone connects, they can make calls, use navigation, and some audio streaming apps, most buyers will be happy.

I am curious how Google will implement text ability with iPhones though. And before anyone rants about this, using this is nowhere near the same as "texting and driving".

Thats just it - you wont get to use the navigation on your big screen.
You'll be stuck with the map you get from chevy.

It will be restricted to the phone and Bluetooth connectivity vs native.

Route planning, live charger status and especially battery-preconditioning (before charging) are vital for a good EV experience. I could see doing a native OS would be way easier to integrate all these thing instead of having to go though Apple/Google for updates (yes I know this is made with Google’s help).

I’m an Apple fan and use Apple Maps for navigation, but if Apple Maps can’t start preconditioning my battery approaching a
charging station I’d probably never use it with an EV anyway. Would also make the car manufacturer look bad if the car doesn’t charge as fast as advertised, because the user didn’t navigate and precondition.

Basically this is everything Tesla already does. Just hope GM gets it right…

Last edited:
Thats just it - you wont get to use the navigation on your big screen.
You'll be stuck with the map you get from chevy.

It will be restricted to the phone and Bluetooth connectivity vs native.
The map I got from Chevy is already Google …

Back