GM to begin prevention of Apple carplay and Android Auto use in new models beginning in 2024

Wow, maybe shop around. One of our cars seems to have XM for life, and the other was $99 for 3 years which is nice because I can stream online at the gym or in the shower ($99 is $127 with tax and fees lol). They also had $165 for 5 years but I was thinking it's getting too far out. $1/day seems like a lot of money it implies north of $300 a year. Maybe the OnStar has unlimited 4G and that's different...
That’s for OS & SXM … It’s a function of what level is selected - which is up to my wife and daughter … I keep the safety features on my Jeep too …

They all monitor plenty now - again - all the crying here is from people who aren’t buying them regardless …

It matters to those who have a lot invested in their respective systems. Contacts, destinations, music etc.

Apple and Google want to sell licenses and GM isnt biting.

Look for connectivity license sales (subscriptions) coming.
The APIs for CarPlay are out there for developers to use, ditto for Android Auto which is an app on top of Android. It’s basically tighter integration via screen mirroring over USB or wifi. Honda has been using a neutered Android 8 build in their cars since the 10th gen Accord while Pioneer has been using a very neutered and gimped Android 4 build on the 4xxxNEX/AVIC NEX decks.

Now, Google and Apple want tighter in-car integration and it’s up to the OE interior electronics suppliers(Visteon, Fareucia, Pioneer, Denso Ten, Samsung Harman, Hyundai Mobis) to follow.

I don't get it - everyone with a smart phone (so pretty much everyone these days) got all that for free anyway.

image_2023-04-10_201203130.jpg

I'm not sure how practical, or possible, in most cars built in the past ~10 years.
At least with Toyotas, it's a single-din opening with a large screen attached to it, and there are aftermarket fit kits and headunits available to fit that form factor.

1681156916503.png

1681156988532.png

1681157082835.png

g500ILX507-M.jpg

98008ae7-0616-49ef-9445-e9c603e6c399-jpg.149686

Nice, they already tell you the end of life already. SaaS into obsoletism.

The obsolete OnStar in my 02 Silverado tells me everything about these integrated subscription services.

98008ae7-0616-49ef-9445-e9c603e6c399-jpg.149686

Nice, they already tell you the end of life already. SaaS into obsoletism.

The obsolete OnStar in my 02 Silverado tells me everything about these integrated subscription services.

A 2002 model is 21 years old. Old enough to walk in to a bar and order a beer.

The APIs for CarPlay are out there for developers to use, ditto for Android Auto which is an app on top of Android. It’s basically tighter integration via screen mirroring over USB or wifi. Honda has been using a neutered Android 8 build in their cars since the 10th gen Accord while Pioneer has been using a very neutered and gimped Android 4 build on the 4xxxNEX/AVIC NEX decks.

Now, Google and Apple want tighter in-car integration and it’s up to the OE interior electronics suppliers(Visteon, Fareucia, Pioneer, Denso Ten, Samsung Harman, Hyundai Mobis) to follow.

I've got the neutered Honda and it works, but neutered is a great description.

I've never heard "gimped" used to describe a condition like that - I've been giggling for hours.

I've got the neutered Honda and it works, but neutered is a great description.

I've never heard "gimped" used to describe a condition like that - I've been giggling for hours.
Google, Apple, GM, MB etc want a cut of every transaction you make from your vehicle.

Out of town and need fuel and do a search for a gas station, GM wants a commission, as does Apple, and Google. Hungry, maybe GM will only post restaurants that agree to pay GM a referral fee.

One word never spoken in all of this- open system. All is proprietary. Proprietary equates to reduced choice, options, and features….. But one will be paying the piper because of lack of competition/ free market.

The OEMs have long feared that they'd be rendered mostly irrelevant in terms of ICE and telematics, and worse, they'd be unable to monetize the in-vehicle activity that users partake in a connected world.

They've been wary about protecting their own turf, as does every other owner of a captive ecosystem, including the tech giants.

Despite that long-held knowledge, and many years to try to improve, and compete, the UX that most OEMs have produced is still substandard, and mediocre at best, at least pertaining to the code that doesn't actually involve what's needed to run the car.

Meanwhile, most users, who have made their smart devices an integral, essential part of their lives, have come to expect that their vehicles should not be exclusion zones in that respect, and have embraced casting technologies like CarPlay and Android Auto, which allow them to leverage their investment, monetary and otherwise, while in their cars, without missing a beat. All their contacts, subscriptions, settings, and familiar apps, simply proejcted onto their car's display, and a UI that's consistent from vehicle to vehicle, and doesn't require learning each OEM's likely dreadful attempt at a good UX for each car they may hop into.

By dropping CP and AA support, and making their UX mandatory, GM has tacitly admitted that they won't, or can't compete, and have decided to deny owners the chance to compare options and choose which they prefer.

All the talk about better integration, a better experience (LOL, prove it) and "free" services (just because there is no upfront cost doesn't mean there is no cost to you) is just a smoke screen to obscure that fact that the foxes have already infiltrated the hen house, and are taking their chickens. For free.

If the reception to this announcement is any indication, GM had better prepare to unfurl that white flag, and the accompanying PR speak of veiled mea culpas.

Sorry to hear this but suspect this will spread. I use Apple Car Play and Waze for navigation. The Waze and maps come up on the screen in my VW GTI. Great system for me.

Back