wife got a wild hair, wants a RAV4?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Unless there is a real need for the AWD, I agree with the FWD recommendation for a RAV4 ....

The RAV4's AWD setup in the Hybrid version is very cool. No driveshaft. Electric motors in the back take care of driving the rear wheels. Great city MPG since its a Hybrid, smoothe transmission, very good engineering all around.

"OP/CynciDavind, The dogs/Puppies, how young they are? (more of a question of height and easiness to get them in the car/vehicle)"

The older beastie is almost 18 months old, probably fully grown. The "little" one is 10 months old, over 100 lbs already and still growing. I suspect he'll hit 120 lbs or so. Both very nimble at the moment, but the older/smaller one is hesitant to jump up in the car. I just hoist him up each time. He MIGHT jump into the Jetta, but simply won't jump into the SUVs. It's not like he can't, he just won't. They are both tall and leggy, the older one is built more like a poodle, the younger one is beefier like a lab.

My wife is looking at possibly getting a 2019 when they come out. I'm hoping her 2004 Rav4 can make it another year until the 2019 Rav4 hybrid hits the dealers.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Unless there is a real need for the AWD, I agree with the FWD recommendation for a RAV4 ....

The RAV4's AWD setup in the Hybrid version is very cool. No driveshaft. Electric motors in the back take care of driving the rear wheels. Great city MPG since its a Hybrid, smoothe transmission, very good engineering all around.

Now THAT sounds pretty interesting!
The AWD in my old RAV6 took too long to pick up slip in the front tires and would then belatedly send too much power to the rear all at once (V6 definitely didn't help here)...an AWD system that really wants to bring the back end around on you is not a good thing IMHO.
The solution was to pop the electronic 4WD button, but that turned itself off at 25mph.
Don't get me wrong, it got me up steep hills in tough winters...just wasn't as seamless as my Subarus.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'm hoping her 2004 Rav4 can make it another year until the 2019 Rav4 hybrid hits the dealers.

My friend's 02 Rav is going strong but only 80k miles on it and FWD. She doesn't love it since it's older, loud and rides a bit rough. Looks good on the outside since it gets washed often. Shiny black with no rust.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
"OP/CynciDavind, The dogs/Puppies, how young they are? (more of a question of height and easiness to get them in the car/vehicle)"

The older beastie is almost 18 months old, probably fully grown. The "little" one is 10 months old, over 100 lbs already and still growing. I suspect he'll hit 120 lbs or so. Both very nimble at the moment, but the older/smaller one is hesitant to jump up in the car. I just hoist him up each time. He MIGHT jump into the Jetta, but simply won't jump into the SUVs. It's not like he can't, he just won't. They are both tall and leggy, the older one is built more like a poodle, the younger one is beefier like a lab.

Than for lower floor level, Wagons (Golf SportWagen and Alltrack).
Give a try/test to Rav4/ Rav4 hybrid/Subaru Outback.

In used category:
-Prius v (The Prius wagon); It has the same foot print as a Mazda5; only built 2012-2017
-Mazda5: sliding doors; 2012-2015
-Ford freestyle; the Folvo Wagon : 2005-2007; a Ford on a Volvo platform
-Ford Taurus X; better version than ^^^; 2008-2010
-Ford Flex

Alternatives used:
-Chrysler minivans; 2013-up
-Nissan Quest minivans

Pretty much all wagons and minivans will have a lower loading floor/backfloor.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The CRV and the Rav4 are Bryers and Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. They are in essence the same. If she does not like the CRV, she won't like the Rav4.

Blasphemy.
Blue Bell and Breyers are nothing alike. I say this as someone who thinks Blue Bell was made by the ice cream God's.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The CRV and the Rav4 are Bryers and Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. They are in essence the same. If she does not like the CRV, she won't like the Rav4.

Blasphemy.
Blue Bell and Breyers are nothing alike. I say this as someone who thinks Blue Bell was made by the ice cream God's.

OK: re-write.

Bryers is a purple Hyundai Accent or Nissan Versa hatchback with rusted wheels,
Blue Bell is a Nissan QuesT Minivan Limited.... With a wild cherry on top....

And yet I'd probably never buy a RAV4.
Car and Driver summed it up about the RAV4 (and Toyotas in general) weakness: "With lifeless, vague steering and a soft suspension, the RAV4 isn’t much fun to drive, even for a small crossover." Also, Toyota styling is a problem. Ugly stuff. https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/rav4

Indeed the RAV4 Hybrid's AWD set-up is good, yet a Honda CRV gets a combined EPA rating of 29 MPG to the Hybrid RAV4's 32 MPG, not a lot of difference overall. ...
The RAV4 Hyb would really only give you an MPG advantage in mostly-city driving.

The Honda CRV nearly matches Toyota's famous reliability in a vehicle that works better. Ditto Mazda CX5. I'd also recommend an '18 Equinox (GKN-brand AWD, 2.0T, 9-speed version) over a RAV4. I lease an '18 Equinox 1.5T AWD now, and it handles great, MPG great, acceleration is the only weak point.

And Kia/Hyundai has the long warranties, so if you wanted to keep one forever, get one of those.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Go with a 2019 RAV4 if you can wait, significant updates and looks really good imo. https://www.tflcar.com/2018/03/2019-toyota-rav4-a-new-look/

....and Toyota manages to make the 2019 even uglier.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Danno
Go with a 2019 RAV4 if you can wait, significant updates and looks really good imo.

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/03/2019-toyota-rav4-a-new-look/

The Stevie Wonder special edition.

laugh.gif

If you don't like the CR-V, I can't imagine liking the current gen Rav 4. The 2019 looks interesting, but the current one is under powered, loud and has the most hideous dashboard I have ever seen.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think she has a 3 year lease on the CRV and Honda Financial is sending her offers to turn it in early and lease something new.

Exactly, so, Honda has incentives for the lease turn in IF she gets another Honda, but she wants a Toyota, so, early termination, etc. and then buying a new car?

Seems an expensive way to go...

i would get a new CRV over a RAV 4 . mom has a 2017 and its awesome. more room , power, bells and whistles. i have driven it hard and its got good power and the mpg was around 28-30 according to the dash.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
She also said she thinks she wants to buy instead of lease, and drive the wheels off the thing.

Smart. Leasing sucks.

Honestly, it's worked well for us...we drive low enough miles that the 12k per annum is fine, I never have to buy anything beyond oil changes, tire rotations and wiper blades and the cars are under warranty the whole time.

Well, since you’ll be spending $10K on depreciation for 36K miles, and you’ll have no asset at the end, avoiding a front brake job and a coolant flush is the least they could do. But thanks for keeping the economy humming.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
She also said she thinks she wants to buy instead of lease, and drive the wheels off the thing.

Smart. Leasing sucks.

Honestly, it's worked well for us...we drive low enough miles that the 12k per annum is fine, I never have to buy anything beyond oil changes, tire rotations and wiper blades and the cars are under warranty the whole time.

Well, since you’ll be spending $10K on depreciation for 36K miles, and you’ll have no asset at the end, avoiding a front brake job and a coolant flush is the least they could do. But thanks for keeping the economy humming.

It was going to depreciate anyway, according to Edmunds it would depreciate by $7500 during the first 3 years. Every new vehicle depreciates, whether it is leased or financed.

I will concede that keeping a car forever and running it until I sell it to pic-n-pull MUST be cheaper per mile, but that's not how it winds up working in my household.

IMO the best small SUV is the Jeep Cherokee. My wife traded her 2012 Equinox on one and it rides and handles better than the old car. It gets 25 mpg average and close to 30 on a trip. Not bad for 4WD. It's had no issues and is the most American made car you can buy aside from the Wrangler.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think she has a 3 year lease on the CRV and Honda Financial is sending her offers to turn it in early and lease something new.

Bingo! $272/mo for 36 months with no money down. My primary issue with the CR-V is the rock hard, uncomfortable seats and the headrests that push against the back of my head. My bride HATES the CVT (doesn't mind the one in the Accord though) and the tinny-sounding doors.

Her 2016 is the previous gen. and if you pay attention to the "batting average" of the new one in reviews against RAV4 you'd both be well-advised to at least try the new CR-V, it's kicking butt and taking names. The seats are new and the CVT has been updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back