Can you help me better understand why women want a SUV over a sedan?

Shes not my son or daughter but an adult free to make her own choices for condiments or cars.

and then there's the guy with a private airplane and a Porsche who dailys a clapped out stock jeep Cherokee, and has one or two batteries that he moves between his cars. he doesn't want to spend money on batteries for his truck so he just steals the car battery when he needs to tow
I rode the elevator last week with someone at my co who has a Lear 75. I really didn’t appreciate that he said, “I make and break little worms like you every day!” Kinda felt the rest of the afternoon dragged 😂

Shes not my son or daughter but an adult free to make her own choices for condiments or cars.

I did not say your sister is your son or daughter, so I'm not sure you are telling me she is not. It's patently obvious by definition! 😆

What I did understand is that if you wanted a piano for your birthday, it's perfectly cool to gift you a clarinet, because life has to suck 😆

It wasnt a birthday or christmas present.
She ruined a 15 nth car from neglect then thought her family owed her what she wished vs finding something in great shape and affordable.

…Grocery-getter, and soccer moms love them for convenience. When I was in traffic the other day, I couldn’t help but notice five or six different brands of SUVs past me and they all looked nearly the same; correction, they all look like Nissans. They’re so widespread it’s like owning a Tesla model 3. Strictly white bread and baloney in terms of styling.

Last edited:
I remember when cars used to have huge rear hatches:
Me too
IMG_20221231_164907941_HDR.jpg

Growing up my parents always shared vehicles, but my mom was always the main user of the Rangers and their current Ranger is primarily hers. She likes being a little higher up and the utility.

My sister on the other hand doesn't like anything but small sedans.

My sig other is small, 5 feet tall and 110 pounds tops ever. She loves driving my sequoia, its seat can raise her up and the sequoia has the best visability of any car I ever owned. She feels safer to drive it, and can see very well. It has large mud tires and amazing 4 wheel drive w locking center and low range gears available. The sequoia is also height adjustable.. it has 6 passenger supple leather seating. I feel she will always love my sequoia and I will get her a much newer one when this one is used up enough.. it's a safety thing for women, they need to feel in control and able to see well. Confidence counts.

My sig other is small, 5 feet tall and 110 pounds tops ever. She loves driving my sequoia, its seat can raise her up and the sequoia has the best visability of any car I ever owned. She feels safer to drive it, and can see very well. It has large mud tires and amazing 4 wheel drive w locking center and low range gears available. The sequoia is also height adjustable.. it has 6 passenger supple leather seating. I feel she will always love my sequoia and I will get her a much newer one when this one is used up enough.. it's a safety thing for women, they need to feel in control and able to see well. Confidence counts.
Surprisingly my friend-of-a-girl doesn't like driving anything big. She likes her 2 door cobalt.

It worries me that sitting higher is seen as safer, effectively upping the chance of rollover. Now I know that's not common, but I do find it concerning as light crossovers have become a thing. They're tall and not wide in addition to being relatively light for the height. It just seems like a poor recipe for driving dynamics and body roll.

It worries me that sitting higher is seen as safer, effectively upping the chance of rollover. Now I know that's not common, but I do find it concerning as light crossovers have become a thing. They're tall and not wide in addition to being relatively light for the height. It just seems like a poor recipe for driving dynamics and body roll.
I don't know if there is statically more roll overs or not-but I very rarely see roll overs-even living in mountain country. Also one needs to remember there are driver aids that would prevent this. This is the upside of those systems. I had a 4Runner and the computer didn't like how fast I was going around a mountain curve (I was pushing it) and the computer applied the brakes to a couple of the wheels.

I don't know if there is statically more roll overs or not-but I very rarely see roll overs-even living in mountain country. Also one needs to remember there are driver aids that would prevent this. This is the upside of those systems. I had a 4Runner and the computer didn't like how fast I was going around a mountain curve (I was pushing it) and the computer applied the brakes to a couple of the wheels.
I don't disagree, but using tech to correct physics is a band aid. All I meant was that being up higher does not make one safer than sitting lower. It's a feel good that doesn't really have any basis in reality.

My Italian woman likes her SUV Skoda Yeti because it’s easier to load and unload groceries. She also likes that it sits higher than cars so she can see better up ahead.

I don't disagree, but using tech to correct physics is a band aid. All I meant was that being up higher does not make one safer than sitting lower. It's a feel good that doesn't really have any basis in reality.
No disagreement. I know VSC has cut down on rollovers but it's still possible. And you do have that much more mass to contend with--but the crumple zones are bigger too.

Wife here likes her Camry quite well. But she is a tad taller than the average woman--then again, she'd simply retort, adjust the seat up. That's what we tell our short daughter to do. Who has indicated that she does not like our CUV. Rough ride for one, but also for having to clean snow off of, harder to clean the roof off when you can't see over it.

One valid argument is sitting up higher gives your better visibility-which is SOMEWHAT TRUE. And of course-if you are in a 2 1/2 ton SUV you are going to fare better than someone in a Smart car in the event of an accident.

One valid argument is sitting up higher gives your better visibility-which is SOMEWHAT TRUE. And of course-if you are in a 2 1/2 ton SUV you are going to fare better than someone in a Smart car in the event of an accident.
Only because everyone feels the need to drive an SUV.

Sometimes-it's just a want not a need. And this is America so........
Absolutely. That’s why I said it that way. I fell into that category for awhile and then realized I didn’t need the space. It prompted me to buy a car that I always wanted but thought it wouldn’t fit my needs.

Back