Toyota or Honda for teen's first car

Will soon be helping a teen relative buy her first car. She's not overly picky and seems willing to buy something practical. Ideally, I'd like to steer her towards something that, if she takes care of it, will last her through college and even a few years after. It'd be nice if she didn't have to start out with car payments immediately after college.

RAV4 and CRV are kind of where my head is at this point, but am open to other ideas. Really like the idea of a Toyota or Honda based on their longevity and reliability. If not one of those models, what else? Camry/Accord could work but she may need something a little roomier based on some of her hobbies. Highlander is a maybe, but Pilot is probably more than she would want. Smaller models like Civic and Corolla are too small.

Were there particular eras that were especially reliable?

Other brands she should be considering?

Thanks a lot.

If I had a daughter off to college and needed an SUV for her kayak or whatever she does, I'd look at a used Mazda CX-5 Sport with a stick. Yes a stick. But no one drives stick todays so why bother? What if she is with her drunk BF at a frat party that has a Civic Si, WRX, Mustang with a stick and she cant drive it? Than her BF smashed into a tree putting your daughter in a wheelchair for life only because your first priorty in getting her a car was something reliable.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
Is there a specific price range? :unsure:

A Fit would be a great first car :)

There's also the Matrix/Vibe, Scion XD, XB, IM, and even the Prius V wagon

The Yaris hatchback is an awesome car and has lots of room inside.

For something sporty, there's the Mazda5

Last edited:
If I had a daughter off to college and needed an SUV for her kayak or whatever she does, I'd look at a used Mazda CX-5 Sport with a stick. Yes a stick. But no one drives stick todays so why bother? What if she is with her drunk BF at a frat party that has a Civic Si, WRX, Mustang with a stick and she cant drive it? Than her BF smashed into a tree putting your daughter in a wheelchair for life only because your first priorty in getting her a car was something reliable.

Lol, what?

I'd have her check the Rav 4 and the CR-V out and she what she prefers. We had a 2015 Rav 4 Limited and it had zero mechanical problems during the time we owned it. I got clobbered in it by a guy in a Chevy 2500 towing a big trailer loaded up with roofing materials. He hit me hard. Car was totaled and I walked away without a scratch. So not only is it reliable but it is safe too. My aunt has a 2009 Honda CR-V which she bought new. She has had one mechanical repair the entire time (A/C compressor). I don't know exactly how many miles hers has but I know it is over 100k. Both are great choices.

The Rav-4 also comes as a fuel efficient Hybrid. But the Rav-4 is a very big vehicle.

Are you sure a Camry Hybrid wouldn't work? You can put 5 large people in it easily. And a Kayak on the roof and a ton of stuff in the trunk too. Talk about bullet proof.

A Honda Accord handles better than a Camry but may not be quite as reliable. Too bad Honda did away with the 2.0 manual transmission Sport.

If you live in a low rust area the Mazda 6 is worth a look too. I think a Mazda 3 is big enough for a young person at university but that's just me. Mazdas are also very reliable. Not quite as reliable as a Toyota but still very reliable.

Can't help you too much--but what the heck, my 2 cents.

I think CRV ditched the timing belt around 2001-2002. For our 2003 model, maybe because it's an upscale LX model, it DOES have side impact airbags. I think of it as a pretty poor vehicle, the AWD is primitive, the 4AT is not what I'd call smooth, and it musters all of 23mpg. Honda's have weak AC that like to grenade, at least for what, the first decade of the 21st century? But it has the space and utility of a CUV.

RAV4's ditched the timing belt around the same time, but, this vintage get the oil burning 2.4L I4. The 4WD button on these I like (no it's not a "true" transfer case, but IMO on these primitive setups it's step up on the snow, JMHO), but not the oil burning. The V6 RAV4's might be real fun and not much of a hit on mpg--but cost more to buy, and I'll bet to insure. But if you can go 2009+ and get the 2.5, even though it's a stone age 4AT, it does tend to be on the relatively reliable side. I think only the CRV could get AWD with a stick, on the RAV you were stuck with FWD (the older TB ones, maybe different--but do you want curtain airbags or not?).

FWIW, my daughter has informed me that she doesn't want a CUV for her first vehicle. Ok, she's apt to get whatever I find--and like it, and if she'd rather, she can walk. In her defense, her major fear is, cleaning it of snow and ice. Being on the short side this is a problem. Not insurmountable but that's her opinion. Which gets me to the kayak comment above: I'd rather hoist a kayak on top of a sedan than a CUV, let alone anything taller--and I'm a quite a bit taller than her. Since she doesn't kayak much, and probably won't take with her to college :) I'm not too worried about that, but figured I'd point that out, roof racks are a great idea, right up until you use them, us shorter people dislike them (I go and get a trailer instead).

Wife had an '01 Civic and I hated that tin can. Good transmission but that was it. Constant AC problems, no power, plenty of noise (without acceleration). But I do believe there's been a few generations since then... Corolla of those early years had real oil burners, the first couple years of the 1.8 got the timing chain--and huge oil burning. Then had a few good years, then got stupid boring. But boring can be good.

My guess, you're not looking at Accords but if so, avoid the V6's, they always had timing belts (as did the early Civics) and certain years of V6's had automatics made of glass. The Camry of similar vintage? same story, if it has the 2.4L then skip, if it has the 2.5, not a bad buy, if not boring. V6's got timing chains but like the RAV4, likely cost more to buy and insure, and I bet the V6's are more of a handful in the snow, even in the RAV4 with AWD. If curtain airbags are important, then pay attention, I think Toyota waited until 2009 or so before making them standard across the board.

No experience with Highland or Pilot. Highlander I think skipped the 2.4's (if not, then avoid those), and Pilot would have a timing belt.

On all of them, miles might not matter as much, but rust sure will. And if not maintained, may cost a pretty penny to fix up. Not sure how many miles you have to drive, but I have to wonder if the non-Toyondas would work better, if miles/year required is lower, then initial lower cost may pay for any possible repairs, assuming it would need any.

Lastly, if it's for a teen, as their first car... I don't care how good they are, everyone makes mistakes, and nobody does it better than teens starting out. A good safe car that you can walk away from, both figuratively and literally, is what I'd look for. Over what they may or may not want...

CR-V or RAV4 are probably good ideas as long as she likes the idea of a small SUV. If you or she wants to keep it ~7 years, you probably want to look at something 2010 and newer and even that (2010) might be pushing it. It would already be 12+ years old so rubber bits can start wearing out, gaskets will start leaking, etc. If she doesn't want a small SUV, Camry and Accord like you mention are great options. I'd stay away from models like Highlanders, Pilots, etc if for no other reason than fuel economy (and timing belt in the Honda).

My son had a 1975 2002 with E21 Recaros and new seat belts.
2015 2002 RF.JPG

Will soon be helping a teen relative buy her first car. She's not overly picky and seems willing to buy something practical. Ideally, I'd like to steer her towards something that, if she takes care of it, will last her through college and even a few years after. It'd be nice if she didn't have to start out with car payments immediately after college.

RAV4 and CRV are kind of where my head is at this point, but am open to other ideas. Really like the idea of a Toyota or Honda based on their longevity and reliability. If not one of those models, what else? Camry/Accord could work but she may need something a little roomier based on some of her hobbies. Highlander is a maybe, but Pilot is probably more than she would want. Smaller models like Civic and Corolla are too small.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot.
A sedan is safer for a 1st time driver.

Why does everyone have to have a CUV? They're grossly overpriced because everyone wants one for some reason.

I'd find something with a less common name, like an Avalon or a Lexus ES300 or ES330. Not usually in people's searches so they sit for sale a lot longer and they're often a good deal.

My son had a 1975 2002 with E21 Recaros and new seat belts.View attachment 137855
Is it practical? my first car I used to haul firewood a couple of times, a replacement engine once. Had I kept it, would have used to haul my stuff to/from school. Can’t imagine the door dings from inconsiderate freshmen. Nice vehicle, but even at my age, too nice for me.

Guessing you can fit a 2x4 in that though. or get roof racks?

Back