Toyota or Honda for teen's first car

If I had a daughter off to college and needed an SUV for her kayak or whatever she does, I'd look at a used Mazda CX-5 Sport with a stick. Yes a stick. But no one drives stick todays so why bother? What if she is with her drunk BF at a frat party that has a Civic Si, WRX, Mustang with a stick and she cant drive it? Than her BF smashed into a tree putting your daughter in a wheelchair for life only because your first priorty in getting her a car was something reliable.

Very rare and difficult to find.

A basic Corolla, Civic or Mazda 3 would be my choice.

A sedan is safer for a 1st time driver.
Based on what? Most studies show the opposite - just google. Modern SUV's / CUV's are much safer overall. They sit higher - putting the occupants further out of reach of larger vehicles. Modern SUV's / CUV's are no longer tippy like those in the past. They are often heavier, although not always. Heavier is better in a crash - absorbs more force with less shock transfered to the occupants. Better site lines may prevent an accident to begin with.

I bought my youngest a two year old Elantra base model before covid. Cheap, reliable and excellent on gas. Great college car considering I'm paying everything including gas until she graduates.College kids need fuel efficiency
I would stay away from Kia Hyundai for now. Just because some insurance companies are charging extra for them.

I'm also not buy another Honda.
In our experience and research, excessive oil consumption and fuel in oil issues are not unusual.

We had several 1980's vehicles that got better than 30 mpg.

When we were shopping for a runner, our granddaughter & daughter, we ended up with Nissans.
They were very cheap by the mile. And got over 30 mpg.

I would beware of CVT transmissions unless the vehicle is cheap enough that you can have the transmission swapped if or when necessary

Is it practical? my first car I used to haul firewood a couple of times, a replacement engine once. Had I kept it, would have used to haul my stuff to/from school. Can’t imagine the door dings from inconsiderate freshmen. Nice vehicle, but even at my age, too nice for me.

Guessing you can fit a 2x4 in that though. or get roof racks?
My son drove the ‘02 in high school. Starting with his sophomore year of college he drove my wife’s 2004 X3.
I’ll also note that I sent my son to the two day teen school at the BMW Performance Center in SC; a few months later I sent him to Street Survival so he could learn how the ‘02 handled at the limit.

I have had several Civic's and a Corolla. The Corolla will be about 10% less money however I believe the Civic's drive a little better and are a little more fun to drive. The CRV or Rav4 are good alternatives also. I would find out which one she prefers because if she doesn't like the vehicle it's a lost battle. I believe the Civic/Corolla choice would be more reliable and least costly than the CRV/Rav4 vehicles. I have had many Civics and they don't need anything until you hit about 110,000 miles. Buy something with lower miles and she will be good for many years of driving with very few if any problems. If she really needs something bigger the Civic/Corolla wont work and go for the little CRV/Rav 4. The Accords and Camrys are not much bigger but ride better and cost more money. Many kids are satisfied with anything that runs!

Through college and beyond elevates the importance of maintenance records.

If this active young soul is going to use a roof-rack then make sure you give her a ratchet strap lesson.
Then she can lash her stinking drunk boyfriend to the roof and go back to the party.

No one has mentioned a budget at all? Any recommendation is in the wind.

A brand new Tesla with their auto pilot thing is likely a great first car also?

Are you seriously advocating a young girl buy a 20+ YO BMW as her first car without knowing anything about her family or finances or just showing what a cool dad you were?🤑
I don't see why not. My 10 YO has already expressed an interest in the Trooper.

I don't think a tippy SUV with no airbags will be the car for her, but she at least has good taste. An E36 or E46 BMW would not be outside the realm of possibility.

I was shopping for the same for my teenage sons learning vehicle. I got a 02 crv with 140k miles. I wanted something reliable but not a big deal if he hits something and scratches or dings it. 02 got the k24 engine, one of the greats. Also can probably drive it a couple years and sell it for the same or more. I was looking at Rav4 and Highlanders but they were more $$ for anything decent. The earliest Rav4s had timing belts too.

Just submitting what worked for my son.
With your automotive interest sure. For a young woman who needs help deciding on her first car?
I don't think a tippy SUV with no airbags will be the car for her, but she at least has good taste. An E36 or E46 BMW would not be outside the realm of possibility.

Is there an adult male in her life that can manage maintainence of an older Euro car? Uncle OP didn't mention wanting that responsibility. Not enough info given about budget, situation, etc. but an older Euro anything sounds like an impending financial disaster. Something with good safety and reliability ratings that fits the unknown budget is appropriate. Does any $15k BMW meet that as well as a $15k Toyota?

Toyota or Honda are good ideas for reliability, but I'd certainly go with
an old model with lots of miles. We are talking college. Young driver.
Most likely to get in an accident sooner or later. Think old reliable beater if you can find one.

With your automotive interest sure. For a young woman who needs help deciding on her first car?

Is there an adult male in her life that can manage maintainence of an older Euro car? Uncle OP didn't mention wanting that responsibility. Not enough info given about budget, situation, etc. but an older Euro anything sounds like an impending financial disaster. Something with good safety and reliability ratings that fits the unknown budget is appropriate. Does any $15k BMW meet that as well as a $15k Toyota?
Skipping over the sexism, I could make a $5k BMW as reliable as any of the cars mentioned here. A well-sorted car is a well-sorted car.

Since the OP has posted exactly ONCE in this thread, I don't get your beef.

If an CUV/SUV is a must, look at 2004-07 Saturn Vues with the V6. Honda powertrain and dirt cheap as it's not on most peoples radar.
What's parts availability like? I'm concerned about that, as the S series I do believe have that issue.

Back