Can you help me better understand why women want a SUV over a sedan?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
A friend of mine's Daughter wants a vehicle for her 16th bithday, and asked for my help. I located a flooded MB AWD sedan, that I can rebuild and probably have to her for $2k out the door (see picture). Her response was she does not want a sedan, and would take a worse shape little SUV, like a Toyota RAV4.

Yesterday, when I arrived home from a week long work trip, first thing I was told walking in the door was my middle Son's wife told my Wife she wants a SUV. I said, I can get her a sedan for free (I will pay for it), response back- has to be a SUV.

What am I missing here? Why is a small SUV so important to a woman in her 20s, and a 16 year old, over a nice sedan, at a deep savings or for free?

resizer.jpg

So my daughter has had a chance to drive all of my current cars, two sedans and an older CUV (CRV) and she‘d rather drive my old carpbox econobox sedan. ??? The CUV she worries about cleaning snow off of, as she’s 5’2” or so. That and the ride is… isn’t nice.

That said, she has college in a couple of years and a CUV would have more space for moving stuff. Less nice out on the highway, but more space than a sedan. A hatchback might strike a better balance.

I don’t think she has enough driving time (not licensed yet) and has only been in the sticks to have an opinion of how annoying it is when everyone else on the road is above you.

My wife is short and she likes the height so she could see better and she likes a basic vehicle hence the Yukon. She can’t see out of my Caddy and doesn’t like all the electronics in it along with my LR. PLUS WE HAVE 6 grandchildren that she hails around so she needs the space and it’s fishing vehicle 2x a year when I go to Quebec

I have never had much luck in helping people decide which vehicle choice to make. Small SUV's or Crossovers are so much more popular than sedans for some reason. I think it's all about the look since the SUV's and crossovers look a little larger.

Probably for the same reasons that SUVs/trucks and CUVs outsell sedans. It’s not just limited to teen and 20s females. It’s the entire marketplace that doesn’t buy many sedans.

That sounds like a nice car for a young driver. My concern would be some flood damaged electrical gremlin popping up and leaving a 16 year old girl on the side of the highway.

My concern would be some flood damaged electrical gremlin popping up and leaving a 16 year old girl on the side of the highway.
RH,

Very good point. I tear the "flooded" car apart, redo all the connections, and reassemble. I have done numerous flooded vehicles, and have never ever had a "gremlin" come up, not once.

I think the issue with flooded vehicles is that "flippers" often do the rebuilding. That typically equates to speeding up the rebuild process, shortcuts, and not inspecting anything that appears not to be broke. I go through every connector and clean, then Deoxit, etc.

Last edited:
A friend of mine's Daughter wants a vehicle for her 16th bithday, and asked for my help. I located a flooded MB AWD sedan, that I can rebuild and probably have to her for $2k out the door (see picture). Her response was she does not want a sedan, and would take a worse shape little SUV, like a Toyota RAV4.

Yesterday, when I arrived home from a week long work trip, first thing I was told walking in the door was my middle Son's wife told my Wife she wants a SUV. I said, I can get her a sedan for free (I will pay for it), response back- has to be a SUV.

What am I missing here? Why is a small SUV so important to a woman in her 20s, and a 16 year old, over a nice sedan, at a deep savings or for free?

View attachment 152225

Height contributes to feeling secure (better visibility, safer in accident). It's some of the same reasons why men, who really don't need them, buy SUV and pickups. Although for ken "status" also has a lot to do with it.

Probably for the same reasons that SUVs/trucks and CUVs outsell sedans. It’s not just limited to teen and 20s females. It’s the entire marketplace that doesn’t buy many sedans.
I need to start working out, I’m starting to notice when I get into my sedans. It’s worse getting in and out of our late model Camry for some reason, my old Camry isn’t too bad but even that I’m starting to notice. Must be a flexibility thing.

Look at sedans available today YUCK
and forget about a couple or hardtop ... Practically non-existent anymore.
My question becomes why does 97% of everything HAVE to have 4 doors? Boring.
While I wouldn’t mind having a stripper 2dr truck, short bed, for the sake of having one, I have zero desire for a 2 door car. Just too easy to open the rear door, toss my junk in and then go.

Then again, I have the world’s most boring fleet, so I am not the typical shopper. ;)

Look at sedans available today YUCK
and forget about a couple or hardtop ... Practically non-existent anymore.
My question becomes why does 97% of everything HAVE to have 4 doors? Boring.
I think the issue with coupes may be include the size of the door. It makes opening the coupe door in a garage much tougher than a sedan, without banging a wall of another vehicle with the door.

I myself no longer want a coupe simply for the door size. My garages are packed to the brim, and even opening a sedan door can be a challenge.

RH,

Very good point. I tear the "flooded" car apart, redo all the connections, and reassemble. I have done numerous flooded vehicles, and have never ever had a "gremlin" come up, not once.

I think the issue with flooded vehicles is that "flippers" often do the rebuilding. That typically equates to speeding up the rebuild process, shortcuts, and not inspecting anything that appears not to be broke. I go through every connector and clean, then Deoxit, etc.
I understand that freshwater flooding isn't anywhere near as bad as a car that's been flooded with salt water. True?

Back