Why keep a big oil Stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: PT1
I have often wondered that myself. Let's assume 100,000 miles and someone wants to do a 10k OCI with dino oil & ST filter ($10 cost per OCI) So, skip the $25 UOA and do an 7500 OCI for the same price. Am I missing something here?

It's probably much worse than that. Most people are getting multiple UOA's per 100K miles, and some get a UOA for every (or nearly every) oil change.

LOL, that is ridiculous...easier to buy a good synthetic on closeout and do a 5000-6000 OCI and probably less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"Now here is the question. Before discovering BITOG, how many of you had an oil stash?" ??

I did... but I hid it like I was ashamed !! (So lonely, so sick !!)

BITOG is my "meeting" for my affliction... where I get my forgiveness and understanding. I AM NOT ALONE !!
happy2.gif

Me too!

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Yeah, there's a fun factor in going to the stores and seeing what you can get dirt cheap!

grin2.gif

I'll bet that many with big stashes 'tend' to have garages stuffed to the gills with other stuff.
cool.gif

I can see it being a mix of hobby (Finding a killer closeout deal IS a bit of a rush!), collecting (not a bad thing, it provides a little order in one's life), with varying doses of clinical irrational compulsion thrown into the mix. (My PRECIOUS Penzoil PLATINUM!!)
55.gif

FWLIW, I try to maintain a comparatively modest hoard, enough for 2 or 3 changes (1 ~ 2 years' use.) This gives me time to wait for a nice sale or rebate to come along. I can't see the sense in tying up hundreds of dollars in oil, although those of you that bought up gobs before the big petroleum run-up may disagree!
banana2.gif
Current inventory is pretty puny: A motley 4 qt assortment consisting of 'broken' and leftover quarts purchased during various oil change (5qt+filter) specials, and two Purolator filters for a car I no longer work on. Being out of work, I can't see buying a whole lot, although I've set aside one of my M1 rebates in anticipation of upcoming 15w50EP end-of-life closeouts.

Because We all have OCD! Seriously, I need to stockpile to keep up 6 vehicles and 2 boats. Like others on here I also stock up on car wash, waxes, etc. If my garage ever catches fire I'm going to have a serious problem. Glad it's not attached to the house.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Mark888
So would understanding why people spend money on UOA's to extend the OCI just a bit, when it would actually be cheaper and more convenient to just lower the OCI and not pay for a UOA.

I have often wondered that myself. Let's assume 100,000 miles and someone wants to do a 10k OCI with dino oil & ST filter ($10 cost per OCI) So, skip the $25 UOA and do an 7500 OCI for the same price. Am I missing something here?

I must have evolved. I just ran syn for 12k miles with a supertech oil filter with no UOA. I got a 100 qt stash with 80% of it is FAR oil. the rest was on clearance for $0.50 cents/qt.
grin2.gif

I buy on deep discount sales, usually ~$1/qt. So I buy in advance but try to hold to no more than 'one year' in case I change my mind about what oil to use. (I have been experimenting for a few years.)

But when I was paying $20 for 4x5qt jugs of MC 20W50 at Autozone over Xmas, I went back and bought a second case. 40qts for $40.

Also I'm finally getting ready to use my PP 15W50 that was acquired over a year ago.

My last purchase before Xmas was Pennzoil YB 20W50 last Thanksgiving when PB was running $1.99 and SOPUS had $1/qt rebate for Salvation Army special.

Last edited:
I run through hundreds of quarts of oil and filters. We have pretty much stopped buying off the shelf and now just call our Shaeffers rep and he hustles out the green gold to us at $4.50 per quart. We just cannot be any happier than we are with the results/customer service we get from Shaeffers. We also have a deal with Hastings filters and get them by the case now.
But this arrangement has left me with about 200+ quarts of Pennzoil Platinum/Chevron Supreme/Yellow Bottle Pennzoil so I am a real popular guy at the Hot Rod meeting on Saturday morning now :) Everybody wants to buy me breakfast and "stop by the shop" on the way home :) Now would you trade steak and eggs, biscuits and gravy feast-a-thon for a $10 dollar jug of Pennzoil? [censored] right you would! My "stash: is paying off big times. If I was an ugly girl I would have a monster stash of oil :)

I keep a big stash to p!ss off my wife
LOL.gif

I have "The WALL OF OIL" in my basement(450-something quarts). My youngest son (almost five) knows what oil is in every vehicle, including all my Jeeps and my Mom's Cobalt.
He highly recommends Quaker State Q-Torquepower.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
LOL.gif

I have "The WALL OF OIL" in my basement(450-something quarts). My youngest son (almost five) knows what oil is in every vehicle, including all my Jeeps and my Mom's Cobalt.
thumbsup2.gif

Thats awesome!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Right on!!!!!
11.gif
10.gif

Hey why stop there? Start leaving the toilet seat up and leave your beer cans laying around the house
thumbsup2.gif

On second thought, don't. Probably don't want to sleep outside.

Last edited:
With the way motor oil prices keep going up,a substantial stash seems very logical.

With the way the FED is printing money inflation might be a real concern in the future.

Last edited:
With the way motor oil prices keep going up,a substantial stash seems very logical.

My decent sized stash is all oils that were 25% or more off of regular price. There is only one oil I will pay regular price for (PP 0W-20) and I order it a week before I need it...once a year.
...And it [censored] off my wife too! She hates it when i get a new flyer and say "Hmmm it looks like there is some good oil on sale this week"

Actually, motor oil prices have started to inch slowly downward in line with the decrease in crude prices. If you really think that oil prices will go up, you could buy an index stock tied to oil future contracts like DXO. It will take up less room in your garage.

I usually just buy enough to service both vehicles one time.

So I have 2 5-quart jugs of oil ready to go.

I never find any deals in Buffalo, NY so I have to go to walmart and buy the 5 quart jugs.

I did stock up on ecotech cartridge filters on amazon about a year ago, paid 1.75 each, and bought a couple cases of them.

There, so my oil change costs 10.50 plus 1.75 for a filter.

I'm lucky that I have a stash, about 2-4 years' worth. I never had to pay the $2 that regular oil cost this past year. For that matter, I haven't bought any oil in the past year because I haven't seen any deals out there. I'm banking on the hope that oil prices on the shelf will come down soon.

thumbsup2.gif

better be careful you wife doesn't call child services...
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back