Why keep a big oil Stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why a big stash? are you kidding me? Why not?

A stash is there to save money. Not just on oil, but on food and house hold supplies. You see something selling at below manufacturing cost? You buy a bunch and use them when they are back to normal price.

Cereal, engine oil, soy sauce, rice, coolant, salt, soap, you name it, I stash it.

Average stash cost is about $1.1 per qt ($1.5 for synthetic and $0.4 for dino)

Last edited:
I hide my huge 16 qt. stash
crackmeup2.gif
in an outside storage building so me wife won't find it. Because IT'S MINE! ALL MINE! HAHAHAHA!

One day I'll achieve the great wall of jugs. I have a storage shed that I am going to pack up with oil jugs front to back, bottom to top. God forbid someone touch the jug mountain a cascade of plastic death will bear down on them!...I need to rethink that, because that could be me.

I try to keep enough to change each vehicle's oil at least once, and enough to run the generator for a week if needed.....

Of course if there's a good sale, there may be more on the shelf.......

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Now here is the question. Before discovering BITOG, how many of you had an oil stash?

Johnny,
I am an oilcoholic!
I have always had a stash since I started driving in the late 70's.

Yes;After 3 weeks it's junk. At that point it's good for your stash count but not your engine.

The only problem with a big oil stash is saying goodnight to each and every bottle each and every night....

Goodnight Pennzoil Platinum, 5w30, lot #2487365579
Goodnight Pennzoil Platinum, 5w30, lot #2465293722
Goodnight Pennzoil Platinum....etc

Last edited:
I have a huge oil stash. I don't buy by the quart, I buy by the 20 litre PAIL!!! I don't know why, I think I have "hoarding disease syndrome". Until I use up BOTH of my 20l pails (In addition to over 200 quarts in jugs) I'm not buying any more. I find a good cure for this disease is to actually buy a couple of pails, then you know for sure you have a disease, and you can stop. Before doing that, you can easily fool yourself, that you're just building up a stash, buying cheap, etc.

I suspect if someone wrote up a psychological profile of bitog members, it'd reveal the following traits:

1. very frugile
2. would buy two pizzas for $15 instead of one for $10, even if they couldn't finish both
3. tendency to hoard things

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I suspect if someone wrote up a psychological profile of bitog members, it'd reveal the following traits:

1. very frugile
2. would buy two pizzas for $15 instead of one for $10, even if they couldn't finish both

I am not sure the profile would be quite that flattering.

If we were truly hoarders, we would not give oil away. I got 80 GALLONS of Delo 30 for $1 a G, so alot of it went into other people's cars. With about 25 left, I am more stingy.

I hoarded a bunch of GC, but ended up driving Hondas. I sold a lot of it. The 2-3 cases I have are like 2004/5.

I'm made a lot of good buys, but you have to say, $1-$2 synth and
The cool thing about DIY car stuff is that it's a hobby that you SAVE money on.

I have a ton of PP, never used it yet! I shuffled my uses around so I can start with some 2006 PP this winter. I always try to use oldest oils first. That's a must with a stash.

I was psyched to use my Mobil 1 0w-30 SL, and ended up relagating to the older CRV.

Quote:
or a money saving thing?

Yes. Had I been smart and stashed oil filters as well, I'd have a good selection of ACDelco and Motorcraft fiters for $2.50 from Wally rather than the $5+ Frams & others that are available now. (I did buy up what was left when I found out they would stop carrying them, but that only amounted to around a dozen filters...)

Quote:

The 2nd $5 pizza serves as my lunch for a couple days. =-)

Alex.

Even though I have a sizable stash (150 quarts or so), I dont think there is anything disfunctional about it. I am responsible for maintaining 4 vehicles, 2 tractors, 2 ATVs and various other engines for my main residence and a tree farm. I remember my grandfather used to buy oil, grease, and gear grease from the local Texaco refinery by the 55 gallon barrels. He used it for all of vehicles and farm equipment, etc. So my 150 quart stash is small in comparison. In some cases, like GC which is probably one of the most stashable of the oils mentioned on this board, it could disappear from the shelves at some point if Castrol comes out with a Euro spec GRPIII based Edge or something in 0W-30, so there is good reason to stash it in its currently formulation. Also think about it these way, we are mostly car guys here, for less than the cost of taking a car or truck to a brake shop for an average brake job to get ripped off, we can buy our stash and save money in the process by changing our own oil. By getting it at good prices and with rebates, saves even more in the long run. If CD interest rates were 10% again it wouldnt make sense, but with money rates at 2%, stashing some key items is a good idea. Especially in the case of oil, where we can expect more and more environmental controls and higher prices. I also wouldnt be surprised if we see engine protection sacrificed for fuel economy by our future American ratings and standards. So everyone go out and buy another 20 quarts or so tomorrow with a clear conscience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

1. very frugile
2. would buy two pizzas for $5 instead of one for $10, and freeze one for tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm a new forum member although I've read this site for a few years. Guess I joined the right group.
I used to think there was something wrong with me getting pleasure from shopping for, storing, and organizing my oil bottles.
The wife and I are down to three cars now, though, from four, so I don't get to have quite as many rows of different oil weights now.
5W-20 for the pickup, 10W-30 for her car, 10W-40 (for winter), and 20W-50 (for summer)for the old VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back