Why keep a big oil Stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I find automotive items on clearance I pick them up whether I need them now or not. I've found NXT carwash and window cleaner dirt cheap and bought enough for several years. I bought several cans of CD2 on clearance-and that is a tough product to find. I recently started picking up the Q Torque synthetic because it was as cheap as a conventional oil. I also hit the AZ Castrol special several times because that was 1/2 price.

I don't see the need for a 500 quart stash but when the economy is in the toilet sometimes you can find some great buys.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Oil is cheap. A buck or two here or there doesn't mean much except for the psyche. If I find a good sale I may buy enough for my next OC on both cars and that's it.

It adds up for me. On average the synthetic oil I am using sells for $5/qt and I am getting it for $2. That is $300/year. But the real savings is in time and labor cost. A Lexus OCI & tire rotation costs me $18.91 versus $130 at a dealer. Toyota OCI & rotation costs $16.77 versus $59.99 at the dealer. Keep in mind I am using synthetic. A Harley OCI costs me $55 versus $118 at the dealer. My boat costs $99.70 for an OCI (2 engines with fuel filters) versus the dealer at $220.00

My stash is only enough for one more change on each car.
3-5Qt jugs of Mobil 1 0W30 bought when sales/rebates all matched up.

And 12 gallons of TCW-3 outboard oil. This will probably not last all summer once the waterski show season resumes!
This lubricates 5 boats and 8 motors. (one boat is a twinrig, one is a triple rig)

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably would make a great psychiatric study.

So would understanding why people spend money on UOA's to extend the OCI just a bit, when it would actually be cheaper and more convenient to just lower the OCI and not pay for a UOA.

So would trying to figure out why people attach mystical powers to the UOA regarding the condition of the engine and effectiveness of the oil far beyond what it is capable of telling us.

thumbsup2.gif
10.gif
28.gif

This is one of the most reasonable, sensible, and logical statements I have heard in a long time. I predict it will not go unpunished.
27.gif

I've got all my oil on sale or with Advanced or Auto Zones oil changes special. So I guess I do it to save money. I rarely buy oil at full price.

I've stashed for 35 years. But on sale -- save money. Way back when it was easy. One grade of oil served every car I worked on. Some cars (turbo) now need synthetic, plus I've tailored my use to the seasons and whatever grade I can get on sale.

I'm stingy. If I can save a couple of bucks on an oil change it keeps me happy.
Besides, shopping for bargains and finding the oil I want before someone else gets it is fun.
thumbsup2.gif

I have started a stockpile since I started really sifting throught this site.
The reason I came here is that I finally got tired of fools changing my oil, and I really wanted better understanding as to what went into High Mileage oils and Synthetic oil.

Now I have a stockpile of about 50 quarts. It should last me quite some time. All of it I bought on clearance or a sale.
I can do a oil change on my car for about $12. There are those
here that can change their oil for under $10.

If you have storage space some extra cash, and you shop sales, why not?

I get oil for free or near free. Why pay 25 bucks for a big jug when I get it free? People don't like to save money? I have 4 or more cars to do, so they don't sit anyway for that long. Doesn't really take a lot of space.

Originally Posted By: PT1
So would understanding why people spend money on UOA's to extend the OCI just a bit, when it would actually be cheaper and more convenient to just lower the OCI and not pay for a UOA.

I have often wondered that myself. Let's assume 100,000 miles and someone wants to do a 10k OCI with dino oil & ST filter ($10 cost per OCI) So, skip the $25 UOA and do an 7500 OCI for the same price. Am I missing something here?

Compulsion, especially considering that all of our engines will outlast our interest in keeping the cars they reside in.

I keep a few gallons of ACD on hand, enough to change the oil in my TL and the girlfriend's Murano. I do so since it's mail order so I can change any time without waiting for it to be delivered. I'll never switch oils as long as they keep making the stuff so it makes sense to keep a little laying around.

When GC first arrived in Canada back in 2002, I was afraid it wasn't going to be here for very long, and it was difficult to find, so everytime I found 4 or 5 bottles somewhere I'd grab it and add to my stash. Then when it started showing up in more places, I'd still grab a bunch of it everytime it went on sale. Once I got up to about 75 bottles I stopped though (and now I'm down to around 6 or 7, which I'm using in my dad's VW Golf)

What I do now is only buy what I need. I do buy it quite a while in advance though, as I only buy oil when it's on sale, so when I see a good deal I grab it.

I have often wondered that myself. Let's assume 100,000 miles and someone wants to do a 10k OCI with dino oil & ST filter ($10 cost per OCI) So, skip the $25 UOA and do an 7500 OCI for the same price. Am I missing something here?

It's probably much worse than that. Most people are getting multiple UOA's per 100K miles, and some get a UOA for every (or nearly every) oil change.

It's probably much worse than that. Most people are getting multiple UOA's per 100K miles, and some get a UOA for every (or nearly every) oil change.

I also feel that unless you think you may have issues, many UOA's doesn't do any good. I've never done a UOA and won't unless I feel it could do some good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I see some members buy and keep a large amount of oil/filters. I usuallly just buy it when I need it.

I may decide to try something different the next oil change and with oil tech constantly changing I would not want to get stuck with alot of "old oil".

Is it a sickness, a compulsion, or a money saving thing?

So why do you do it?

My Land Rover burns it to the tune of a quart every 600-800 miles, so I always need to have a supply on hand! That and my vehicles are older. SH- API rating for both, so anything I grab will work just fine. Especially on sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back