Why doesn't Schaffers oil get more love?

That seems like a no brainer. API CK-4 and SP is good as it gets for North American vehicles.
If one engine oil meets both with CK-4/SP on the container, what could be better for a mixed fleet application?
If for example, Delvac 1300 CK-4/SP can be found 20% cheaper than Schaffers, and the latter can't prove their product is 20%
better, I'll go with the Delvac.
Or, for the same money I'll drain the inferior oil when the olm hits 20%.
I'm not interested in extended drain intervals anyway.
When in doubt, drain it out.
Personally, I prefer the full-SAPS Euro approvals as historically they've been far more stringent than the API ones.

I've only heard good things about Schaeffer's from users on BITOG, but I can't get it here, so it's not on my radar.

Looking at their website, the data sheets they provide are very good, with some excellent values, e.g. their Supreme 9000 5W30 full synthetic has a Noack volatility of only 7.9%, that's very good.

They also say:
Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 meets and exceeds the following specifications and manufacturers’ requirements: MIL-PRF-46152E; CID A-A-52039B, API Service Classification SP, Resource Conserving; ILSAC GF-6A; Ford WSS-M2C946-A; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1; Ford WSS- M2C930-A; Ford WSS-M2C929-A; Ford WSS-M2C929-B1; Ford WSS-M2C961-A1; General Motors dexos1TMGen3; General Motors 6094M; Chrysler MS-6395Q, MS-9214; Toyota and Honda Service Fill Specifications, Honda/Acura HTO-06.

But when you look it up on the GM dexos website, it's not listed. So Schaeffer's has made and tested the oil to their satisfaction, but have not passed it on to GM to confirm. Probably a corporate finance decision rather than an engineering decision.

I know it's not big in North America, but Schaeffer's should start including some of the European ACEA sequences like A3/B4, C3, A5/B5, C5, etc. As these are very high quality test sequences, often more stringent than API, but they allow for self-certification as ACEA only describes the test process and the results require.

Schaeffer's also claim for this oil:
Substantial wear protection to reduce wear and damage to critical engine parts
o 28% Better wear protection vs. API and GM wear limits
o 37% Better protection against timing chain wear and elongation vs. GM limits

If this is true, they should be able to reflect it with some higher Euro specs that most other oils don't have.

Marketing is definitely an issue. I had never heard of them before BITOG and all my friends never heard of them. Seems like they are more popular down south.

I only first heard of them when I visited a motor shop in north central Illinois in 2018. I think they were relatively new to him. They are an old company based in St. Louis. There are 3-4 reps just in my area and my guess is their core business is farm/commercial/industrial. I bought a case of racing oil from Amazon couple years ago. I called a local gas station/convenient store chain for Supreme 9000 0w-20 and they were $12/quart for a case. I don’t expect them to go national. They doing just fine the way they are.

But when you look it up on the GM dexos website, it's not listed. So Schaeffer's has made and tested the oil to their satisfaction, but have not passed it on to GM to confirm. Probably a corporate finance decision rather than an engineering decision.
No - Schaeffer's' does not pay the thousands of dollars to have theirs listed by GM!

I only first heard of them when I visited a motor shop in north central Illinois in 2018. I think they were relatively new to him. They are an old company based in St. Louis. There are 3-4 reps just in my area and my guess is their core business is farm/commercial/industrial. I bought a case of racing oil from Amazon couple years ago. I called a local gas station/convenient store chain for Supreme 9000 0w-20 and they were $12/quart for a case. I don’t expect them to go national. They doing just fine the way they are.
Schaeffers was founded in 1839! And I buy mine at the local auto parts store here 60 miles south of Buffalo NY. They also carry it in Sugar Grove, Pa. And don't pay any $12 a quart for the Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic.

With only 4 posts its hard to believe you have witnessed a gazillion posts.
Until someone can show me that UOAs are not the "best" indicator available to us concerning protection of oils. I'll fall on my sword here.
People have gotten seriously hurt falling on a sword while it still sits inside a baldric or uwa-obi.

So be extra careful with it Al, especially in the Shower.

Schaeffers or a Schaeffer’s rep was the original Bob that started this forum. They definitely deserve more love here.
Indeed. It's definitely more a smaller niche now than it once was, but it paved the way in many ways for boutique oils. I have much respect for those who walked first.

Thank goodness Bob didn't work for Hostess, because we'd be over here arguing about "this little pastry shop in Wilmington and how THEYA ARE-A THE BESTA" and dissing people who chomp down on a Little Debbie once in a while.

I would easily pick Schaeffer's over many other brands talked about here as its really a great oil, I would use it,but i already have a sustainable inventory for a long time,,they produce many oil products other than engine oils for industrial markets etc, their salespeople are knowledgeable on what they sell, and areas served, very good proven products. nicely transparent company when you call them with a question and the printed specs are up front info.

I would easily pick Schaeffer's over many other brands talked about here as its really a great oil, I would use it,but i already have a sustainable inventory for a long time,,they produce many oil products other than engine oils for industrial markets etc, their salespeople are knowledgeable on what they sell, and areas served, very good proven products. nicely transparent company when you call them with a question and the printed specs are up front info.

I've used Schaeffer's for years. We used it alot in dirt track racing as well. The only reason I tried other oils ( HPL,Torco, Royal Purple HPS ) was outta curiosity. I have since switched the riding lawnmower to Schaeffer's 👍

I used to when I lived in Idaho and the dealer delivered. Prices were in line with other major brands.

The products I've looked more recently have been fairly expensive. Like grease at $10-12+ a tube.
Chevron is about 2/3.
Some of my bigger equipment uses a full tube everyday it's being used, times that by 3-4, 7 days a week, costs add up.

They bought a Citgo plant not long ago, maybe P & A will benefit l.

Back