why are schaffers and amsoil so unpopular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee Bob, I wish I had bought it from you or Tim. I just assumed that you had to go to the regional rep. But, I think the local rep used my order to close out an existing order, so he charged litlte, if any for shipping. He is actually quite nice.

So far I am pleased with the #131 and #132 products. Even my dad wanted a bottle of the #132.

[ March 20, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Fillherup ]

Amsoil is the largest independent manufacturer of synthetic lubes in the US, so I'd hardly call them unpopular. With the exception of Mobil, no other company has done as much to promote the use of fuel efficient, extended drain synthetic oils. From 1973 until about 1990 (when Castrol Syntec was introduced nationally), Amsoil and Mobil 1 were about the only synthetic oils in national distribution.

Redline is fairly popular with racers, but really isn't a player in the passenger car market. I'd wager that Amsoil sells more oil in two months than Redline does in a year.

TooSlick

Amsoils marketing is both good and bad.

Without the face to face distribution of the product in the early days there I would venture to bet synthetics would still be unheard of. "al even said this himself"

Fastforward to the present. Large chain stores that carry products at discounted prices do nothing to help educate a customer into extended drains.

Ever notice how many folks you see buying those "snake oil" products. They are not being educated.
Go ask a clerk at pep boys what the best oil for your car is, would he even know??

Anyhow, I am thankful for the opportunity to something for myself as an independant dealer. I have a good customer base that I feel have been treated as a customer should and am always there to answer questions and help solve problems.

I do say this, as in all sales professions, not all salesmen are created equal. How many car salesmen, just want to sell you the lastest and greats without a care to what you want?? How many insurance/investment salemen only have their commissions in mind when they sell you that plan???

I believe Amsoil is a very poplular oil with the folks that use it. Granted there are some customers that have been lyed to about what amsoil can do, which I don't believe should happen.

I think one of the big reasons is price. I have seen so many people bad-mouth a product solely because they can't afford to buy it or will not spend a dime more than they have to. If Walmart does not sell it, it junk.

For instance, I have a friend who will not buy Budweiser or Miller etc, says he don't like it, gives him headache and it costs to much. One day we were helping him do some work on his house. He told us he would buy the beer and the food. The beer he got was Old Milwaukee even though he new I can't stand the stuff. Figuring he would not buy the bud, I brought my own and offered to all. A few hours later, there he was drinking my bud.

I also, had never heard of Schaeffers,and i`ve been drag racing since the seventies!I think it would help a company like Schaeffers to get more involved in high performance and car forums...there are a lot of business people browsing these forums eg..my cousin,who is Head buyer for one of the largest construction firms in Canada and buys a ton of lubrication products and i know he hasn`t heard of Schaeffers...and myself,i learned about the site on ShoForum...

quote:

Originally posted by Shoboost:
I also, had never heard of Schaeffers,and i`ve been drag racing since the seventies!I think it would help a company like Schaeffers to get more involved in high performance and car forums...there are a lot of business people browsing these forums eg..my cousin,who is Head buyer for one of the largest construction firms in Canada and buys a ton of lubrication products and i know he hasn`t heard of Schaeffers...and myself,i learned about the site on ShoForum...

Yep, part of the problem, as I've mentioned here many times, is that there are no Schaeffer reps in Ontario, NADA, ZILCH, ZERO! They are totally ignoring a huge market up here. Ontario is probably more populated than the rest of Canada combined. Toronto alone has 2.4 million people, and even Mississauga, Toronto's largest suburb, has 600,000 people! Yet still no Schaeffer rep here.

So true Patman...look at Brampton too,my brother lives there..there are huge subdivisions all over the place...i know it has been named the fastest growing city in Canada a few times...lot of modded out cars there!

quote:

Originally posted by Shoboost:
So true Patman...look at Brampton too,my brother lives there..there are huge subdivisions all over the place...i know it has been named the fastest growing city in Canada a few times...lot of modded out cars there!

Definitely! I'm on the border of Brampton, and my wife is from there. I worked there for many years too. Lots of oil customers there!
smile.gif

I live in the Cleveland, OH area. I have seen AMSOIL on the shelves of every murrays auto parts store in the area. It seems like most of them only have XL7500 on the shelves, but they tell me they can special order anything and have it there the next day. They also have Amsoil ATF.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back