Why doesn't Schaffers oil get more love?

Where do you buy it ? Never seen it in any stores. If the only way to buy it is to find a local "distributor" who you then have to contact to find what stores they sell it (be it the small, independent parts shops or in bulk to garages), no thanks....

In my area, they says I can buy it at a Line-X dealer, used car dealers, etc. 🙄
I buy it in my local auto parts store - Randolph Auto Supply in Randolph, NY. But I had to travel down to little Sugar Grove, Pa (D&L Enos Milling) to get Schaeffer's synthetic grease for the wheel bearings on my travel trailer. I use their full synthetic oils in my John Deere 425 garden tractor w/snowblower, my Country Clipper Boulevard mower, my 2016 Honda Odyssey and my 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi E-torque pickup.

Last edited:
As has been posted - and explained in detail - a gazillion times, UOA's are not the tool to characterize motor oils.
Your reason not to buy it can be fully explained by post #53 - SuperTech and Schaffers cater to different markets.
With only 4 posts its hard to believe you have witnessed a gazillion posts.
Until someone can show me that UOAs are not the "best" indicator available to us concerning protection of oils. I'll fall on my sword here.

With only 4 posts its hard to believe you have witnessed a gazillion posts.
Until someone can show me that UOAs are not the "best" indicator available to us concerning protection of oils. I'll fall on my sword here.
But it has been explained, in detail, what must be hundreds of times that the tool lacks the resolution to contrast the actual performance of oils to each other. This is why actual wear tests use tear-downs with measurements.

But it has been explained, in detail, what must be hundreds of times that the tool lacks the resolution to contrast the actual performance of oils to each other. This is why actual wear tests use tear-downs with measurements.
But there aren't lots of tear down tests available for evaluation purposes.

Frustration over the data we don't have doesn't justify an attempt to infer what we can't from the data we do.
Moreover, we are at liberty of running those meaningful tests that compare motor oil performance. Yet, it's sad to acknowledge they're too expensive to foot for your typical bitoger (self inlcuded). So, sharpening reading skills helps when choosing the "right" motor oil.

That of segregating right from wrong.

Any previous threads on that topic? I must have missed them in the search box.

Thanks

Last edited:
Which is why, when in doubt, go by the oil with the most stringent approvals.

Frustration over the data we don't have doesn't justify an attempt to infer what we can't from the data we do.
That seems like a no brainer. API CK-4 and SP is good as it gets for North American vehicles.
If one engine oil meets both with CK-4/SP on the container, what could be better for a mixed fleet application?
If for example, Delvac 1300 CK-4/SP can be found 20% cheaper than Schaffers, and the latter can't prove their product is 20%
better, I'll go with the Delvac.
Or, for the same money I'll drain the inferior oil when the olm hits 20%.
I'm not interested in extended drain intervals anyway.
When in doubt, drain it out.

Back