Why doesn't Schaffers oil get more love?

Schaeffer 9000 Full Synthetic at Amazon only states Dexos 1 on the front label. No mention of any Gen number.
Every UOA I've seen in recent years is additive intense / abundant. What the 9000's base oil consists of, I haven't any answers to that.

I've been wanting to try the HPL, Schaeffer 9000 and also the Red Line Ester oil in our Kia Soul's typewriter. Nobody within 50 miles of me seems to sell these-3..

Schaeffers or a Schaeffer’s rep was the original Bob that started this forum. They definitely deserve more love here.
Bob of BITOG is Bob Winters. He was a Schaeffer rep in Florida. Schaeffer was primarily an industrial lubricants company. BW may have sold to the FL phosphate mines and limestone quarries. At one time Schaeffer was a low to mid level supplier to the mining industry.

They are a smaller specialized oil company like Amsoil and HPL. Why don't you see much more of them? How would you rate their oils?

I am also curious what Antimony does in an oil. I noticed Lab results of their oils show it.
Schaeffer Oil has never been out of love. Unless you have been living in a cave for the past 22 years many members have used it and reported various results with it. Do a search on Schaeffer's or go to their web site at:

They have quite a history in the lubrication industry.

Economy of scale and their boutique status. In most market with more than 3-4 suppliers you can expect the smaller guys to not make it either because the big guys already cover most of the needs or have a better cost per customer / volume advantage. This include marketing, manufacturing, R&D, shipping, risk tolerance, and trust. Schaffers could be a better oil but most customers either never heard of it or are more comfortable buying a bigger brand they trust for a cheaper price locally.

I purchased Schaffers motor oil from Bob Winters. He and I visited together at my home and at his home. After the onset of his illness it became quite difficult to remain in contact.

I purchased Schaffers motor oil from Bob Winters. He and I visited together at my home and at his home. After the onset of his illness it became quite difficult to remain in contact.

Do you know how he's doing these days? He had a stroke didn't he? I lost contact with him a couple of years ago. His Facebook profile suddenly changed from Bob Winters to Jacki Winters and there's a picture of a young woman there instead of Bob

What does Antimony do in oil? I see lab tests show it in their oils.

Thanks. After reading about it I am surprised you don't see it used more often.

Maybe in the past Schaffers was the "in" oil. Now HPL is.
Of course it isn't well known unless you are an oil geek like we are. It doesn't get the shelf space in stores like Amsoil and even Redline or Royal Purple does.

Maybe in the past Schaffers was the "in" oil. Now HPL is.
Of course it isn't well known unless you are an oil geek like we are. It doesn't get the shelf space in stores like Amsoil and even Redline or Royal Purple does.

Schaeffer has been around since 1839. They are a popular oil regardless if they aren't in the Wal-Marts of the world,etc.

I used Schaeffer oils for years and only reason I changed my oil selection is just curiosity of other oils. It surely wasn't because it's not the "in" oil as you word it.

Schaeffer has been around since 1839. They are a popular oil regardless if they aren't in the Wal-Marts of the world,etc.

I used Schaeffer oils for years and only reason I changed my oil selection is just curiosity of other oils. It surely wasn't because it's not the "in" oil as you word it.
It isn't even in most auto parts stores or other stores.
I am positive it is excellent oil and yes they have an incredible history.
Popular probably depends on what you compare it to. Major store brands and well advertised brands would to me be considered popular.
We all know the favorite or "in" oils come and go on here.

Popular probably depends on what you compare it to. Major store brands and well advertised brands would to me be considered popular.

Trust me, they don't need to promote their oils. There's enough users that are in the know of Schaeffer oils,so there's no need to be on the shelves at AutoZone, Walmart,etc.

Musing over “popular” oils helps to illustrate the importance of manufacturer approvals.

With those you don’t need to be “in the know” or have a secret handshake or be part of the club. That nonsense has ceased to be a relevant factor in oil performance.

My local race shop carries it but that’s a fringe case. Their 5w-50 has a high HTHS viscosity right up there with Redline, I’m hoping to try them out during a track weekend sometime soon.

Back