Why did you join/How did you find BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found BITOG while using Google search trying to find a good oil for my then new, Mazda3.

Researching oil. Saw a particularly angry thread that I just had to chime in on. It was locked by the time I got signed up but I stuck around. Learned that not everything I thought was snake oil was actually snake oil and some of the things I though were good were actually....
21.gif
meh...

Similar to Charlie, I was looking for a decent oil to run in my Honda and came across the site. One of the best things I've found and it's inspired me to do alot of things I hadn't ever thought about before. I wish I'd joined earlier.

I came here after I bought my Escape wich was the first car I owned spec'd for 5w-20, I wanted some confirmation that my engine wouldnt blow on that
blush.gif
"thin" oil . I am now convinced it is ok but still hang around for the interesting conversation.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I was on an auto repair newsgroup (remember newsgroups) and a poster was raving about Restore. Bror Jace commented, mentioning BITOG. Oddly, I haven't seen his name much since.

He's still around, I have him as one of my Facebook friends actually and he posts there quite often.

I am really not sure how I originally found BITOG, I think I was probably doing a Google search on oil and found the original version of this message board which didn't use the UBB software but instead was more like a newsgroup type of a format. This was back around 2001, and there weren't too many of us on there back then, I'd say less than 100 active members if that. Then in May of 2002, Bob decided to switch to this type of forum and I was member #6 to join up. Within the first week he asked me to be one of the moderators, and I'm still having fun to this very day! It's absolutely awesome to be a part of this team and to have seen it grow from a handful of members to the huge number we have today.

I had just bought my home and had an oil change done at the dealership. They didn't tighten the bolts on the skid plate and all the bolt holes had to be redone
mad.gif
. So I started looking online about DIY oil changes since I could now do it in the drive and found BITOG. I also needed the engine cleaned out due to some negligence on my part.
I have had a dealer change my oil once since then (7 years later...I was out of state) and they did the exact same thing
mad.gif
mad.gif
!

I found it through someone who had posted about it on crownvic.net. Probably ULVER, if I had to guess.
I found it interesting, so I registered. My first post was a UOA on my Cavalier.

Rexmo mentioned BITOG to me as a place to look for stuff that would help me pass NOx emissions. I used Seafoam and repllaced the O2 sensor and the car passed easily on the re-test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back