Shop did work without written estimate?

#4 was your mistake. Lesson learned - next time don't authorize them to do the work, but ask them to give you an estimate what it will cost.

PS: when I send my airplane in for annual inspection every year, I give them a letter (yes in writing) that says they are authorized to perform an inspection, but they are not authorized to correct any findings. They must give me a report of all findings which we will review together before they do anything else.

On those rare occasions when I give a car to someone else to work on, I do the same with that.

PS: this is for airplanes, but it applies to cars too:

Your verbal authorization to "use dealer/OEM parts and just R&R the wheel bearings" is all you needed to do to authorize repairs.

You didn't ask for an estimate. They didn't give you an estimate. They did what you asked. You're not concerned about how much you were charged.

That transaction was in line with how business is done by regular people every day. What's the issue?

I never get written estimates, just verbal ballparks from my mechanic and I expect it to be a little more and sometimes it is less surprisingly. He always calls if something else is found and I always tell him sure just fix it, so I pay what it turns out to be. You gave the go ahead and now have buyers regret, sorry it was extra but it is a valuable lesson.

I agree with everyone else regarding you authorized it.

However I would go one step further. If they charged you no more than OEM MSRP for the parts - they should get a hefty discount for their own margin - or maybe a little more to pick them up - And they charged you book time at their normal labor rate - why do you care if they gave an estimate or not. Were you going to shop it, or not do it if it cost too much. I guess my question is - if you were charged something close to a fare price, does it really matter?

I'm not necessarily bent or angry over this issue; it's more of a curiosity/slightly annoyed thing.

This is what happened:

1) State: FL, so only the laws in FL apply

2) Dropped car off during business hours for certain issues

3) Shop finds bad wheel bearings, among other issues

4) Shop calls me about the bearings, I just tell them sure, use dealer/OEM parts and just R&R the wheel bearings. No prices are discussed over the phone. The shop tells me they will touch base with me later in the day on the repairs.

5) I call the shop after a day or so to check on the status, as the shop has not contacted me at all, not via email, text, phone call, voicemail, or pigeon.

6) I am told that the shop has completed the wheel bearing R&R and they are just going to go on a test drive tomorrow morning as a final inspection.

7) I am slightly surprised, as I did not receive a written or verbal estimate. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what I even owe the shop for the R&R. I ask the shop to let me know how much I'll owe them tomorrow, and hang up the phone.

8) I am sent an estimate via text message that has been "approved" and I, for the first time, see how much the R&R costs.

I'm curious--is it possible to verbally waive your right to an estimate for repair work in FL?

What would you do in my situation?

I suppose I could beat the shop over the head with this issue--the not providing a (written or verbal) estimate before repair work. From my reading and my understanding of Florida law, you have to sign away your right to a written estimate. I didn't sign a single thing.

I did provide verbal "consent" to the R&R but I was also waiting for a written estimate, but never received the written estimate and they completed the work anyway.

I do intend on paying for the work, and I don't intend on raising any issues with the shop as long as the bearings were actually replaced. Which I expect they were. They might have been sloppy in not providing an estimate before work, but I doubt they would claim that things were replaced when they weren't.

I am also strongly considering going to another shop from now on...this just seems sloppy to me.

I require all new/unknown customers to sign a repair order before working on their car, With long time clientele....We have a shorthand version of doing business, Like this......
I just tell them sure, use dealer/OEM parts and just R&R the wheel bearings.

One thing, verbal (using words) means written or spoken (oral). It is oral (spoken) vs written. A written contract has better legal legs to stand on compared to an oral contract and a handshake for obvious reasons. With oral contracts it's nothing but I said vs he said. I always ask for a written estimate. That way there won't be "misunderstandings" and if the estimate is exceeded beyond a trivial amount the customer must be notified and asked for permission to proceed with the repair. Just save yourself and the shop any trouble by being professional about the work order and the estimate.

You told them to do it, and with what parts.

That's an authorization in my book. If you had wanted an estimate you should have asked for it. Yet you're considering finding another shop over this?

You're not unhappy with the work or it seems the cost, yet your here intimating that the shop may not have done the work and complaining that you didn't get a written estimate when you told them to do it. It's messed up. Best thing that could happen to this shop is probably for you not to darken their door anymore...

You have a legitimate complaint about them not calling you later in the day like they said, but that's about it, why don't you try talking to them about it instead of us?

When I bought my VW I had to wait in the seating area of the service center and I was shocked that the service advisor would yell out ma'am or sir you need a transmission service or plugs or whatever and nobody asked how much.

The dealer is top notch and actually very fair priced but nobody even asked. I always ask no matter the service...

Of course they have had a VW oil change for $59. for years.
Great deal.

I'm not up on Florida laws but here imo is their out:

4- "Shop calls me about the bearings, I just tell them sure, use dealer/OEM parts and just R&R the wheel bearings. No prices are discussed over the phone. The shop tells me they will touch base with me later in the day on the repairs."

You told them to do the wheel bearings. They forgot to touch base. I have a feeling you'd be SOL challenging them on the repairs.

Im going to be the first to admit that I dont know Florida repair laws as I own a shop in PA. That said, if your point 4 is how you say, and you told me on the phone to R&R wheel bearings and use dealer parts, I would at that point fix the car the way you asked.
Probably not kosher, but I will say that a lot of independent shops operate this way....especially with "regular customers."

You both are correct.

I'm in NJ and basically have a shop that has pretty much overhauled both vehicles I have. They always do a better than usual job, sometimes minor things overlooked however they know me very well and know that I want the issue "taken care of" - whether it's mounting tires, doing a brake pad or rotor, sometimes I'll need a sensor replaced, but it gets done and they know I want it done all the way, for literally thousands of miles of use.

There is never a written invoice or estimate. They could make one, but most of the time we just pay and they ring it up right there on the computer. The invoices seem to be for repairs done for cars about to be sold, as they also repair "flip cars" for sale and then sell them. As well as customer cars. They are slammed with more work than they can handle .

So, if I'm calling them and we say "Just drop it off" or "Just bring it in," it's getting done, as again stated, they know me, they know that car is going the distance. They have to fix the issue. That question was answered when first contact was made.

If they charged you more than you thought they would, ask yourself.. are they charging $125 an hour labor for their work? One of the reason I have such a good yet highly annoying relationship with my shop (I've been there a lot) is that I am aware that they don't work for free, there is a baseline of respect amongst automotive enthusiasts.

Are you this customer here? (Goes as to illustrate the point of a customer the shop won't service. They DO have a choice. Or, as EricTheCarGuy says, "Fire the customer.")

I'm thinking the shop charged more than you think the work should have cost and you're looking to make an issue out of it. If that is the case.. Pay them, and find another shop.

Lastly: I use the shop I use because I don't trust people working on cars in their yard (thought about it but. No,) and the other shop is equally as slammed and costs double. So there you have it. I am a regular customer of a shop that has never done me wrong on multiple vehicles. I do wonder if your relationship with the shop is the same.. or, if you are like the customer the WWK video describes.

FWIW this appears like a lesson to all of us here. If you tell a shop to R&R parts and didn't get a price they will do exactly that. Clearly a misunderstanding between the OP and the garage on expectations. I don't believe there is any fault on the garage here regardless of cost, they received the approval to do the work.

Personally, I seldom take my vehicles to a garage but when I do I ask the shop what the cost for the work will be. They give me a price and then I say sounds good, go ahead. This way there are no surprises.

Just my $0.02

I'm not necessarily bent or angry over this issue; it's more of a curiosity/slightly annoyed thing.

This is what happened:

1) State: FL, so only the laws in FL apply

2) Dropped car off during business hours for certain issues

3) Shop finds bad wheel bearings, among other issues

4) Shop calls me about the bearings, I just tell them sure, use dealer/OEM parts and just R&R the wheel bearings. No prices are discussed over the phone. The shop tells me they will touch base with me later in the day on the repairs.

5) I call the shop after a day or so to check on the status, as the shop has not contacted me at all, not via email, text, phone call, voicemail, or pigeon.

6) I am told that the shop has completed the wheel bearing R&R and they are just going to go on a test drive tomorrow morning as a final inspection.

7) I am slightly surprised, as I did not receive a written or verbal estimate. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what I even owe the shop for the R&R. I ask the shop to let me know how much I'll owe them tomorrow, and hang up the phone.

8) I am sent an estimate via text message that has been "approved" and I, for the first time, see how much the R&R costs.

I'm curious--is it possible to verbally waive your right to an estimate for repair work in FL?

What would you do in my situation?

I suppose I could beat the shop over the head with this issue--the not providing a (written or verbal) estimate before repair work. From my reading and my understanding of Florida law, you have to sign away your right to a written estimate. I didn't sign a single thing.

I did provide verbal "consent" to the R&R but I was also waiting for a written estimate, but never received the written estimate and they completed the work anyway.

I do intend on paying for the work, and I don't intend on raising any issues with the shop as long as the bearings were actually replaced. Which I expect they were. They might have been sloppy in not providing an estimate before work, but I doubt they would claim that things were replaced when they weren't.

I am also strongly considering going to another shop from now on...this just seems sloppy to me.

Were you aware of this requirement under Florida Law prior to dropping the car off?

As for "What would I do?". I would do nothing. I mean what's there to do? What do you expect to gain? At worst the shop didn't follow the letter of the law by asking you, via email/text, if you wanted a written estimate prior to performing the work. You're going to pay the bill regardless. Obviously if you think the bill is outrageous then ya, you can file a complaint and never use that shop again.

In some instances unless they give you the old parts back you really have no way of knowing whether the work was done regardless of whether you were given an estimate.

Note to everyone else: Per FL Law it doesn't matter that the OP gave the "go ahead". The shop is required by law to provide the estimate or have proof the customer decline it. Basically a paper trail must exist.

Last edited:
I feel like you're entitled to complain if you want to, and we're entitled to ignore it if we want to. ;)

I can see how it is disturbing not to receive an estimate, but I certainly would have asked for cost (at least ballpark then contact me if unforeseen addt'l issues/costs are found while doing the work) prior to authorizing the work. I'm not a big fan of shops that tell me "while we were doing this we found other unrelated things wrong" unless it was something I already knew about from driving or inspection myself.

Verbal acceptance is what I prefer (IDK Florida law). I would not want to have to go back and sign the work order first, if I'd dropped off the vehicle for diagnostic/etc instead of a clear cut single-item repair such that I could sign the work order when dropping it off. Then again if they came up with a lot of BS, I'd end up going back anyway, either for some proof/convincing in person, or drive/tow the vehicle off if I felt like I was being reamed.

I should mention that I never let someone else do level 1/2/3-ish repairs on my vehicles. Too many bad experiences and can usually do the repairs myself in less time than the whole schedule, drop vehicle off, get back in touch, go get vehicle, etc, unless I'm waiting on some internet ordered part to arrive but those usually cost half as much so I just factor in how much savings is vehicle downtime worth, also having more than one vehicle so downtime is not a severe hardship.

One of the chains... Meineke or Midas or whomever... has a "social media" type presence that messages you when your car goes on the lift, when it's ready, etc. Meant to make you feel in control. But then you have to have chain store goons working on your car.

Aside from communication, these guys sound all right. They got you in without a wait (huge) and did decent work (assumed) as requested, no more, no less.

In todays age I just assume everything will cost 175% of what I think it will and usually hit the nail on the head.

Back