Why are people Pretentious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

I would suggest you don't listen to other people's conversations and then you won't be bothered about things that are really none of your business. Who cares where she gets her oil changed? Maybe she went on and on about it because the place did a good job and she is happy with them.

What makes you think it bothers me? I just wanted to get some overview on why people like to live behind a facade. I frequent DC and NYC, so pretentious isn't something new to me. The car scenario is just one of many pretentious situations that I've come across.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

Why do you think she pretends? Maybe she likes the service and the waiting area at the MB dealership. If my wife were to take our cars for service, I would ask her to go to a dealership where the service was pleasant, regardless of the expense.

She's pretentious because she had a 20 minute conversation about an oil change.

Why do you think she pretends? Maybe she likes the service and the waiting area at the MB dealership. If my wife were to take our cars for service, I would ask her to go to a dealership where the service was pleasant, regardless of the expense.

She's pretentious because she had a 20 minute conversation about an oil change.

LOL, we have a whole forum for oil change
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I would suggest you don't listen to other people's conversations and then you won't be bothered about things that are really none of your business. Who cares where she gets her oil changed? Maybe she went on and on about it because the place did a good job and she is happy with them.

Exactly. Our local Mercedes dealership is wonderfully nice inside. A beautiful waiting area, fresh coffee via a Keurig or Tassimo, everything is spotlessly clean.

It echoes my experience at one of the BMW dealers (which I won't go to again because they raped me on my clutch job). The waiting room had gorgeous leather seating, a Tassimo with a huge selection of coffees to choose from, some fresh snacks, great background music and you could get up and check out the latest X6M or X5, 5-series....etc. The atmosphere was nothing like a quick Lube, Canadian Tire, or any other non-Euro dealer I've been to.

Of note: The cost of an oil change at either of those locations was not extravagant. And the service bays looked like hospital OR's.

SkyActivG said:
Alfred_B said:
SkyActivG said:

LOL, we have a whole forum for oil change
smile.gif

Oh the irony
13.gif
she spends 20 minutes talking about oil changes, while we spend hours every week on BITOG.
In 1600+ post I hate to think about the time I've spent here... Probably a month if I could total up the hours lol

I kind of miss my annual visits to the Jag dealer back when it was in warranty. Very nice place.

In contrast to the Pontiac dealer where, when I was buying my GTO, people were sitting at tables in the lobby having their tax returns done for a downpayment.

The Jag dealer always put the filter on too tight, imo.

I had my E430 at dealer for free oil changes and other no cost maintenance the first 4 years, after that I changed oil myself using Mityvac 7201. With right tools I can change oil+filter for my E430 in less than 30-40 minutes without getting under the car.

Yes, an MB dealer waiting room is much nicer than most others. My dealer charged $200 for 8.5 quarts M1 and OEM cartridge oil filter but they loan an MB C-class for the day of service, their oil change is $250 now. Doing it myself costs me only $50 or less depends on when I buy my oil, if it was on sale with rebate the cost can be as low as $25-30.

As of the last 10 or so years my wife still goes to the MB dealer once or twice a month for free car wash, and to enjoy their excellent free coffee.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Says the guy who named himself after his car's engine

That's a really stupid name for an engine. Quite pretentious. In reality Mercedes, and BMW are indeed a status trophy on wheels. Lots of tools, debutantes, and such drive them. A car is a statement, in my opinion.

Every year my wife and I drop off the kid with my mother, go eat a great dinner and get great seats for a show. It's a once-a-year anniversary splurge at a restaurant that doesn't have a kiddie menu.

A few weeks ago a coworker asked me for a restaurant recommendation for his wife's birthday, and I heartily recommended the place where we had our most recent anniversary dinner. I told him the appetizers and steaks were the best I had ever had, the wine list was great, the cocktails wonderful and the service top-notch.

I sure hope Skyactiv wasn't listening.

Seriously, though, what's a woman to do, assuming they're not mechanically inclined to change their own oil? If they go to Jiffy Lube they're idiots. If they go to the dealer they're pretentious. I mean, jeez.

I do oil changes under $5 for my cars.

If I was affluent and had a BMW, Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Infinity, Lexus....etc.... I could do it under $25 without oil filter.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I think it's part of the human condition - we're all a prone to pretentious jackassery.

What an awesome word!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Boczech
Maybe they want to impress people they don't know with materialistic things they can't afford.

13.gif

Bo
Probably a lease, eh?

Yep and the lease payments probably being paid by her husband.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I do oil changes under $5 for my cars.

If I was affluent and had a BMW, Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Infinity, Lexus....etc.... I could do it under $25 without oil filter.

If you could buy M1 0W40 for under $3/qt, most MB engines need 7.0-8.5 quarts ! Can you buy M1 for $3/qt any day ?

If you're talking about everyday price, then 5 jugs of M1 0W40 is about $130 at Walmart for 3 oil changes, or about $43 an oil change plus $6-7 for oil filter so the total about $50.

That why I change oil myself for all my cars. With Mityvac 7201 and buying oil on sale + rebate(s) and buying oil filter online my cost of an oil change for my E430 was mostly less than $40. So the Mityvac 7201 paid for itself after 2-3 oil changes.

Last edited:
The kicker is a good customer would never go to the dealer.

Good customers cars are picked up at their houses, serviced, and returned.

Bragging about waiting around at the dealer just means your time is worth very little, probably a C class owner.

Last edited:
I don't think they will let you live in this (my) area without being abjectly pretentious, and SHOWING A LOT of affluence.

Don't ask me how I was let in here with my 'lowly', aged, mulletmobile, and lower income (I must have snuck in under their snooty radar/noses?).
21.gif

The whole success of the auto industry is probably based on people being pretentious, isn't it? Get them to go for the blinged out super scooper instead of the plain.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The whole success of the auto industry is probably based on people being pretentious, isn't it? Get them to go for the blinged out super scooper instead of the plain.

Exactly!

How many commercials are about what you deserve?

Few discuss the technical merits of the car.

Most car makers are selling access to an experience or lifestyle. They have easy financing or lease programs so you too can have the experience they are selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back