Why are people Pretentious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

Maybe she was taken advantage of at a jiffy lube. Maybe she doesn't like sitting in greasy waiting rooms looking at car magazines. I was in awe the last Mercedes dealer I was in. It was made for modern times. With Wifi, special coffee machines, new leather chairs and quiet rooms to get work done. If that is what attracts buyers, then I guess if I owned a shop, I would make it that sort of way

You're example of the oil change at an MB dealer sounds more like status anxiety than pretentiousness - bragging about being rich/successful in the hope of being accepted/respected.
I think it stems back to insecurity in ones self, leading to an internal devaluing of self and causing a greater desire to be judged based on wealth and number of trinkets owned.

Maybe they want to impress people they don't know with materialistic things they can't afford.

13.gif

Bo

It's easy at times, especially with sentences such as,

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

Try, I couldn't [A contraction of could not] care less [Different from careless which has a completely different meaning]...

Just sayin'...

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
It's easy at times, especially with sentences such as,

I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

Try, I couldn't [A contraction of could not] care less [Different from careless which has a completely different meaning]...

Just sayin'...

Bobisthesemanticsguy.com
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Maybe they want to impress people they don't know with materialistic things they can't afford.

13.gif

Bo

Remeber when Alan on the show Two and a half Men took Charlie's car to the MB dealer to get an oil change?

Reminds me of a situation, years ago, where I found myself in a small group of men of "better off" status. One of them was playing with his car keys, a Lexus or some such. The next thing you know, they all whipped out their car keys, Mercedes-Benz, Acura, whatever.

The only key I had in my pocket was to an old Plymouth, the nickel plating worn off the pentstar. Yeah, I guess I felt a little uncomfortable. But I know how to fix my Plymouth, and keep it on the road. And I'm confident in that.

The whole event later struck me like I had suddenly been cast back into kindergarten in an episode of "Who's got the better toys?"

I'd agree with Olas, insecurity, it drives a lot of bad behavior in people.

Well, apparently you do care about her oil change at the Mercedes dealer because this right here is a thread about it.

Of course you won't get your Mercedes oil changed at Walmart either so her choices are somewhat more limited than for a Buick.

I once had the oil changed on a 190e at the dealer because I had to go get a filter and I just didn't feel like going home and doing it. It was pretty impressive, they fixed several little things I hadn't gotten around to and cleaned the car inside and out very well for no extra charge (make no mistake the charge was substantial). If I had a Mercedes and a disinclination to do it myself I would definitely go back.

Most women are ignorant to most things automotive. She probably thought she was getting better service by paying more. She may very well be frugal otherwise, possibly a coupon clipper. She may take one look at the slobs at the local Jiffy Lube, pants a saggin, gold teeth, and every other word bein "yo", and thought "I don't want that thing sitting in my car". Let's not turn this into a "lets bash people that like nice things" thread.

I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

Says the guy who named himself after his car's engine and is now upset over where someone else gets their oil changed while claiming he "could care less" about it.

There's this british show, "Keeping up Appearances", where this situation is the entire premise. The dingbat housewife is always trying to get furniture delivered in a box truck with the fancy department store name on the side when the neighbors are watching but it's always being dragged down the street by her unemployed brother in law on a manure truck. Hilarity ensues for 28 minutes.

The growth in size of the mercedes emblem over the years, to near dinner plate size, shows their increasingly gauche marketing and clientele feedback loop. If I ever needed parts for my 32 year old w123 diesel you bet I'd roll coal through the dealer parking lot if my car was all ambulatory.
wink.gif

Hey Rick in PA, What you shoul've done when the boys were flashing their dangling keys was to say, "What are those?"

When they answered, you could've said, "I haven't use those for years. I simply tell my car "DRIVE" and read the paper. Yeah, that Robo-drive feature is the best coin I've ever spent".

From your post not clear how talking about a mb dealer is exactly pretentious. If the word Chevy was used instead of mb dealer would it be pretentious or boring?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's this british show, "Keeping up Appearances", where this situation is the entire premise. The dingbat housewife is always trying to get furniture delivered in a box truck with the fancy department store name on the side when the neighbors are watching but it's always being dragged down the street by her unemployed brother in law on a manure truck. Hilarity ensues for 28 minutes.

The growth in size of the mercedes emblem over the years, to near dinner plate size, shows their increasingly gauche marketing and clientele feedback loop. If I ever needed parts for my 32 year old w123 diesel you bet I'd roll coal through the dealer parking lot if my car was all ambulatory.
wink.gif

Hounslow!! I was thinking the same thing.

And I agree about the MB front end. Yuck.

But the lady in the OP probably just likes how the word "Mercedes" rolls off her tongue, so wants to be seen saying it... Plus has a healthy dose of "can't do it" in terms of auto repair.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: eljefino

wink.gif

Hounslow!! I was thinking the same thing.

And I agree about the MB front end. Yuck.

But the lady in the OP probably just likes how the word "Mercedes" rolls off her tongue, so wants to be seen saying it... Plus has a healthy dose of "can't do it" in terms of auto repair.

I think that show kick started my love for British humor

RICHARRRRD!

Funny how they drove a #somiddleclass done up Honda Civic called a Rover 200

Some people are so empty and inside that they turn to cold materialism to seek fulfilment

...I bet she leased it

"Keeping Up Appearances" was/is funny!

This pretentious person is just shallow, with no friends and she will not have any.

I would just tell her: "I just change my own oil, so go away!"

Originally Posted By: madRiver
From your post not clear how talking about a mb dealer is exactly pretentious. If the word Chevy was used instead of mb dealer would it be pretentious or boring?

Not to mention a new LTZ Silverado or Cadillac is just as expensive as many MB cars. MB are not particularly overpriced IMO, just more expensive to maintain as they age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back