Why are people Pretentious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard on the radio that you can get a manicure whilst waiting for std 1 hour maintenance at the MB dealership - 'Its about time, and its about YOUR time'. Jeepers!

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

I would suggest you don't listen to other people's conversations and then you won't be bothered about things that are really none of your business. Who cares where she gets her oil changed? Maybe she went on and on about it because the place did a good job and she is happy with them.

Drive what you want and enjoy it. If it makes someone feel good when they are driving some high dollar car and pull up along side my 10 year old truck, then I am happy I made them feel better about their day. Plus I enjoy looking at their car. I love all those high dollar cars, I just don't drive one. If you don't change your own oil, get it done where you are treated the best and its done right. Life is too short to quibble about the little things that at the end of the day mean nothing.

She may very well have received better service than at a jiffy lube. And how do you know she paid more ? Most dealerships offer competitive oil changes, sometimes for less than the jiffy-lube type places, to keep their customers coming in. I know "stealership" is a trendy name to use, but many times they are no more expensive than an independent, and offer better service. Obviously, just like in any industry, this is not true for all. Shop around.

A shallow society, inwardly empty and looking to be filled thru all kinds of things that change nothing. The ever misunderstood self that remains that way because to do otherwise, to REALLY go into it is arduous.

The waking, the waking, the waking.

It reminds me of when the Dali Lama first met J.Krishnamurti. The Dali Lama looks at Krishnamurti and asks him "Who are you?".

Krishnamurti responds: "I'm nobody"

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
A shallow society, inwardly empty and looking to be filled thru all kinds of things that change nothing.

Bravo!

A shallow society, inwardly empty and looking to be filled thru all kinds of things that change nothing. The ever misunderstood self that remains that way because to do otherwise, to REALLY go into it is arduous.

It reminds me of when the Dali Lama first met J.Krishnamurti. The Dali Lama looks at Krishnamurti and asks him "Who are you?".

Best post of the week!

I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

Why do you think she pretends? Maybe she likes the service and the waiting area at the MB dealership. If my wife were to take our cars for service, I would ask her to go to a dealership where the service was pleasant, regardless of the expense.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Maybe they want to impress people they don't know with materialistic things they can't afford.

13.gif

Bo
Probably a lease, eh?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Why do you think she pretends? Maybe she likes the service and the waiting area at the MB dealership. If my wife were to take our cars for service, I would ask her to go to a dealership where the service was pleasant, regardless of the expense.
You're a prime candidate for overcharging.

Very true words (the more I learn, the more I realize how insignificant I am).

Our economic system is built on consumption, you can't blame the people who get affected by it.

When vehicle maintenance is brought up in a conversation I usually mention both my Mazda dealer AND my BMW dealer- because both provide excellent service at a very fair price.
Funny thing, I wandered around the "Auto Mall" while my Mazda was being serviced and noticed that most every well equipped Ford and Chevrolet 4X4 pickup had a MSRP that was 25%-30% higher than the highest price I've ever paid for a BMW.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

You're a prime candidate for overcharging.

Could be, depending on how you define "overcharging". Not everything in life is about money.

For car care, women are budget wise and she saw that the dealership was selling oils putting M1 for Bulk dino oil price.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I would suggest you don't listen to other people's conversations and then you won't be bothered about things that are really none of your business. Who cares where she gets her oil changed? Maybe she went on and on about it because the place did a good job and she is happy with them.

+1

Just follow that woman to Whole Foods (she'll go there, give it time), take down here license number, and have her paged that her KIA has its headlights on.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Well, apparently you do care about her oil change at the Mercedes dealer because this right here is a thread about it.

Of course you won't get your Mercedes oil changed at Walmart either so her choices are somewhat more limited than for a Buick.

I once had the oil changed on a 190e at the dealer because I had to go get a filter and I just didn't feel like going home and doing it. It was pretty impressive, they fixed several little things I hadn't gotten around to and cleaned the car inside and out very well for no extra charge (make no mistake the charge was substantial). If I had a Mercedes and a disinclination to do it myself I would definitely go back.

So me pointing out an example is making it sound like I care?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Says the guy who named himself after his car's engine and is now upset over where someone else gets their oil changed while claiming he "could care less" about it.

Who has time to go put together a name after a long day of work. Someone has SkyActivD, so is that person pretentious or practical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back