Which Premium Oil To Offer?

Mobil has brand name recognition and M1 is a really good oil.
+1

FWIW, I went into a small shop in a nearby town to pick up a small item, and the shop uses M1 for their changes. The owner had a nice-sized display of quart bottles on display and it was easy for customers to see them. For some reason, seeing M1 like that made me think I might want to give this shop some of my business. Perhaps M1 has a strong image in the market ... it does for me.

Amsoil doesn’t have any Dexos certifications, many new cars regardless of brand require a dexos cert. it’s the only reason I choose mobil1 over amsoil for my (under warranty) cars. As a business Mobil 1 have much better name recognition as well.
Honestly wonder how many people that drive GM even know or care about this? I would guess most people that do take their vehicles to the dealer since that seems important to them.
Either way AMSOIL warranty covers them if the recommendation of Dexos is on the bottle. YMMV.

Amsoil doesn’t have any Dexos certifications, many new cars regardless of brand require a dexos cert. it’s the only reason I choose mobil1 over amsoil for my (under warranty) cars. As a business Mobil 1 have much better name recognition as well.
Which non-GM cars require a Dexos approved oil?

Honestly wonder how many people that drive GM even know or care about this? I would guess most people that do take their vehicles to the dealer since that seems important to them.
Either way AMSOIL warranty covers them if the recommendation of Dexos is on the bottle. YMMV.
I'm sorry but does anybody think an Amsoil warranty or a Valvoline warranty or any of these other "oil warranties" is going to actually do anything for them?

I'm sorry but does anybody think an Amsoil warranty or a Valvoline warranty or any of these other "oil warranties" is going to actually do anything for them?
Yes I do. But the warranty requires an oil-related failure which isn’t going to happen.

I know the cynical approach looks good on a public board but factual information is more informative.

Do a "market" survey using your existing customers. Go to your available oil distributors and see which full synthetics they can offer you and at what pricing. Pick 3-4 that are viable options for you and then present those 3-4 to your current customers. When they're paying for repair work, just quickly ask them which brand they prefer or rank them in order of preference. Make sure to include "don't care" or "no preference" as one of the options too.

You can't go wrong with Mobil1, Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, and so on as far as being a quality oil. If your pricing is competitive across all of them, pick the "popular" choice for your market.

This is why in my opinion, Amsoil would be the best offering if we were having this discussion about a powersports shop. Motorcycle and ATV owners are more likely to recognize the brand, but even the ones that don't instantly recognize it would often be receptive to that type of product education and spring for the up-charge, because they have passion for those vehicles.

Regular automotive customers just want to pass emissions, be safe, and not get stranded. To me, trying to up-sell Amsoil to the average automotive public sounds like a very uphill battle because they'll have no idea what they added cost is about and they won't understand (or care) why it matters if the cheaper oil is considered good enough anyway.

And since both the high and low offerings at these shops are going to be synthetic, you can't even position it as a typical, "do you want the conventional oil or synthetic?". It's more like, "do you want synthetic oil A or synthetic oil B?". That's a tougher sell in my opinion because they sound the same to most people. Synthetic oil B better bring something to the table in the eyes of the average customer, or else customers will just be confused as to why there's even a choice. Mobil 1 as a trusted brand would bring something to the table at least that's easily digestible to the most amount of customers.

Yep, the only thing would be if the shop wouldn't be willing to offer the other AMSOIL products that people are looking for. Being he's in Minneapolis (2 hours from AMSOIL INC) I don't think brand recognition would be a problem. I'm in Tennessee, that's a different story. LOL.
In Tennessee the shop I go to sells the AMSOIL OE oil change for the same price as their "other synthetic" so it must be cost competitive.
Definitely don't have to worry about competition with other shops with a marque all over. I'm sure there are some around Minneapolis, but I don't seem many when I go up there.

I would also consider a high mileage oil as an additional offering.
What are you going to do about different viscosities ? As soon as you have to start stocking 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, and on and on, you lose a lot of buying power with your oil supplier. You just going to put 5W-30 in everyone's car ? 😂 I don't think that's an uncommon practice.

A more substantive approach might be to try educating your customers that it's not about brand, but instead a truly premium oil carries demanding approvals and certifications. You could offer a couple that would cover the majority of vehicles on the road such as one with Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval and one with VW 504 00/ACEA C3.

Yes I do. But the warranty requires an oil-related failure which isn’t going to happen.

I know the cynical approach looks good on a public board but factual information is more informative.
Ok so tell me then how are you going to prove to Amsoil corporate that you the user didn't simply under fill the sump by accident?

A more substantive approach might be to try educating your customers that it's not about brand, but instead a truly premium oil carries demanding approvals and certifications. You could offer a couple that would cover the majority of vehicles on the road such as one with Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval and one with VW 504 00/ACEA C3.
He's trying to make a profit here. Which one of his employees that's on the clock is going to spend the necessary time each day explaining what MB 229.5 and ACEA C3 is to random people coming in off the street that don't even know what 0W-40 means? Also the general public doesn't even care. Mind you they're bringing their car to an independent shop, so that means the vast majority of these customer cars are already out of warranty and MB 229.5 doesn't matter to them, that's jibberish at that point.

Last edited:
I'd suggest checking out Klondike, not just 'cos I'm a Canadian (don't work for them and don't know anyone personally who does) but due to selection and quality of their oils. Check their prices as a distributer.

I'd suggest checking out Klondike, not just 'cos I'm a Canadian (don't work for them and don't know anyone personally who does) but due to selection and quality of their oils. Check their prices as a distributer.
Yep, I know of a couple of shops that went Klondike for the service. Northern Metallic, keeps the 1,000 litre totes filled and takes away the used oil.
Klondike is a WPP product and meets new car warranty.

He's trying to make a profit here. Which on of his employees that's on the clock is going to spend the necessary time each day explaining what MB 229.5 and ACEA C3 is to random people coming in off the street that don't even know what 0W-40 means? Also the general public doesn't even care. Mind you they're bringing their car to an independent shop, so that means the vast majority of these customer cars are already out of warranty and MB 229.5 doesn't matter to them, that's jibberish at that point.
Yeah and most mechanics probably either don’t understand it or can’t explain it either. Jibberish I guess.

It would take some education which does take time. But at least it would be based on verifiable facts and would actually mean something to the customer and their vehicle.

Mobile 1 only for the brand recognition and upsell. The rest, use the cheapest bulk synthetic that meets spec (Safety Kleen, Amalie, Warren, etc) also offer filter upgrades Champ XL, Fram XG, Mobile 1, etc

Most of their oil come from Warren (aka supertech) The Eurospec comes from a blender in Belgium, I beleive.

Yeah and most mechanics probably either don’t understand it or can’t explain it either. Jibberish I guess.

It would take some education which does take time. But at least it would be based on verifiable facts and would actually mean something to the customer and their vehicle.
It means nothing to customer and only wastes time for the shop employees. The customer literally only cares, "is this oil fine for my car? Yes? Ok, great"

Back