Which oil filter would you use on your 5.0/3.5 based on looks alone ?

No I do not know anything about flow resistance stuff delta thing, all I know is the noises my 2016 f150 5.0 engine makes with certain types of oil filters and no engine noise with other types of oil filters.
How long have you owned this F150, and how many oil & filter changes have you done?

I have owned this truck for two years, it had 50.000 kilometers on it when I bought it and was in mint condition, and serviced at a local ford dealership from the previous 1 owner, I have preformed 5 complete oil changes with multiple different oil filters.

I already assume that would be the case. However, you have no idea what you’re talking about here and you’ve already stated that in this thread.
Maybe so, but I do know that metal to metal metallic noises are not good, and with a simple oil filter test using different makes of oil filters leading to no metal to metal metallic noises is good 👍

I have a 2012 f150 5.0 coyote.
I discovered that it's warm idle tick was an exhaust leak at the y-pipe.

Also, the cold start rattle was fixed by switching to 10w-30.

I've used Motorcraft, Mobile 1, and Fram oil filters. None of them made any difference for anything.

I have a 2012 f150 5.0 coyote.
I discovered that it's warm idle tick was an exhaust leak at the y-pipe.

Also, the cold start rattle was fixed by switching to 10w-30.

I've used Motorcraft, Mobile 1, and Fram oil filters. None of them made any difference for anything.
I have not used a mobil 1 oil filter, but I have used fram xg and both motorcraft and they all made the tic noise, albeit the fram xg was less noise, the motorcrafts are noisey on my 5.0, I think it might have something to do with the filter element metal core ? But the motorcraft fl2121b12 has a plastic core, both wix xp and napa platinum have a metal core with holes not louvers

I'm sorry you got a bad one.

Mines friggin awesome!
No issues with mine other then that warm idle tic and knock which I have resolved, that tic and knock did not effect performance just that noise bothered me.

2015 Mustang with 5.0 approx 65000 miles , always use the fl500s i have never witnessed the tic on my engine .
this engine as been trouble free and the only noise you hear is the pulse of the injectors.
This has been one of the best cars i have owned things replaced Battery, wiper blades ,tires thats it !
And i use 5w30.

My 5.0 decided to eat a rod bearing in about 10,000 miles.
Got a new long block and sold the truck with 30,000 miles when the tick and knock came back.
Not impressed with Ford. Last one I ever bought.

No more warm idle tic or knock for this 5.0
There's something else going on with your engine. The dP difference across any oil filters at hot idle is probably 1-2 psi or less. Any healthy oil pump won't even notice the difference, and the same oil volume will going to the engine at idle.

What happens when you rev the engine up to say 2000 - 2500 RPM in neutral?

I have owned this truck for two years, it had 50.000 kilometers on it when I bought it and was in mint condition, and serviced at a local ford dealership from the previous 1 owner, I have preformed 5 complete oil changes with multiple different oil filters.
And when was the first time you ever heard this ticking at idle? Did it ever show up right after an oil change?

The 5.0 in my 21 Mustang GT is running strong and healthy at 25k miles. It usually has the tick right after an oil change but goes away after about 500 miles. All I’ve used is FL500S oil filters. Tried several different brands of oil, some quieter than others but nothing crazy. It’s quietest on PP 5W30 so I may stick with that going forward. Going to try a Fram Ultra 10575 at the next OCI. Doubt it’ll keep the Coyote from ticking, but as I’ve previously stated the tick doesn’t bother me at all.

The taller wix 57045xp provided a very quite tic free 5.0, this filter is spec for gm and chrysler engines, the short wix 57502xp is spec for ford, difference between the 2 is obviously height and bypass psi, 57502xp has a 22psi bypass, 57045xp has 12psi, I was concerned about that and found out that wix updated the 57045xp to wl10255xp with a 22psi bypass, I could not get a wl10255xp locally but managed to get a napa npl 100255 I believe is made by wix and is the same filter, I spun that filter on and same results quite 5.0. The butt dyno feels better throttle response with less pedal travel to achieve acceleratoration. The fl500s, fl2121b12, champ 500xl and fram xg10575 all provided warm idle knock and tic. Oil I have in the pan is 5w20 and used the same oil for all these tests.
Use the taller 57045XP in my GM 2.0T and GM 3.6. ;)

1681696510082.png

There's something else going on with your engine. The dP difference across any oil filters at hot idle is probably 1-2 psi or less. Any healthy oil pump won't even notice the difference, and the same oil volume will going to the engine at idle.

And when was the first time you ever heard this ticking at idle? Did it ever show up right after an oil change?

Only tic is at warm idle, all other rpm range is quite, I noticed the tic shortly after I purchased the truck, noticed it did not have a motorcraft oil filter on it, I did a oil change using 5w20 and motorcraft oil filter, it was shortly after that I noticed that tic/ light knock, did a lot of research regarding that tic and noticed that most complaining about the tic were using motorcraft oil filters and so began my filter testing, using many different oil filters, not just researching ford 3.5 and 5.0 but also hemis and ls or 5.3 /6.0 reporting hemi tic 5.3 piston slapped so on, I forget which forum it was recently, but this person had pics of current wix 57045xp compared to the wix 57502xp and how one was taller then the other, so I spun on the 57045xp

Back