Which new car for my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is buying one of my sisters a new car and left it up to me what to get her since I'm a mechanic (semi) by profession.
She is driving a well worn 94' Camry. She lives alone, her kids are grown and doesn't need anything large.
The car needs to be reliable so she can make it to the clinic 6 days a week. Lives in Toledo and deals with snow every winter.
But they do a good job clearing the main roads when it snows. She can drive a stick, but I'm not sure if she would like it.
Dad said it has to be new and would prefer to keep it under $25k. I'm not sure whats out there.

A safe, reliable car would be good. There are many new toyotas that fit that bill for under 25k. A 2017 Prius Two would do it, for example. A Camry too.

Toyota RAV4 AWD, if that meets the price point.
Perfect entry height to get in and out of as well. Sedans can get ergonomically challenging as we age.
Standard port injection, lengthy OCI as per Toyota requirements and reliability at least as good as any other brand.
The Hondas, and Mazda's of the world drive me a little crazy with their frequent maintenance requirements.
Ford is not on my radar with their ecobooost motors - look good on paper but eco is just not there.
GM = no thanks
Dodge = no thanks

Last edited:
Miles per year? Hybrid might be nice but if it's low miles, why bother? CUV vs sedan, different seating position. Kids may be grown up and gone, but does she need 4 doors and a large trunk anymore?

Pretty sure a '94 Camry would feel like a new compact today. Going to a mid size might be eye-opening. Has she test driven anything yet? Can she go in and just drive a few models on her own and/or with dad or you? Not trying to be sexist! but if she doesn't like pressure she might want company--if not, tell her to try some out. It's for her, even if it's a gift, it'd be nice if it was something she liked. Costs nothing to test drive a bunch, other than time; and for such a large purchase, it'd be nice to get it right.

Does she have any preferences? Umm, does she have any say in it? [Not being prying, but if "dad says new" then I don't know what else "must" be done.]

I actually made this statement the other day while speaking with someone about buying a mid-size car. If I were in the market for a new, reliable, mid-size car; I would get a Ford Fusion (NA version only.)

Another vote for Ford Fusion. You can get good deals on these.

If Fusion is too large, then I'd look at Hyundai Elantra or Mazda 3.

1) Mazda CX5 (6 speed too)
2) Honda CRV
3) Toyota C-HR (new looks good)
4) Toyota RAV 4
5) Nissan Rogue
6) For awesomeness, a slightly used Toyota 4Runner

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
1) Mazda CX5 (6 speed too)
2) Honda CRV
3) Toyota C-HR (new looks good)
4) Toyota RAV 4
5) Nissan Rogue
6) For awesomeness, a slightly used Toyota 4Runner

1 through 5 are popular at work with the 45-60 ladies. A Mazda3 is an impressive smaller car though if see sort of likes driving.

Buick Encore

Other options:
Subaru Impreza or Forester
Mazda CX-3 or Mazda3
Hyundai Elantra GT (if looking for a hatch with extra features)
Chevy Cruize

Now...

I say Buick Encore because my mother-in-law got a mid-trim AWD model new for $20K. It was the "previous year" closeout right when the refresh models were hitting the lots. Can't beat that. She actually got a better and lower initial quote from Buick than she got from the Chevy dealer on a Trax.

The smaller ecoboost does 23/36 MPG ... Fusion a pretty roomy and comfortable road car.

What does she prefer? Sedan, hatchback? Small SUV? IMO, you can't go wrong with another Camry or Accord. Lots of choices in this realm domestic and import. Like said, a Forester base model can be had for under $25K all-in. Same with a Nissan Rogue or FWD CRV. I'm sure there's other AWDs in that range as well if AWD is important to you. It's nice, but can be a pain with tires, etc. A really nice large, but yet good MPG SUV is the Nissan Pathfinder. Bargains at 1-2yrs old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back