Which new car for my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask her what she wants and then get a toyota
smile.gif

For reliability, look at consumer reports at any grocery store.

Originally Posted By: Danno
The Hondas, and Mazda's of the world drive me a little crazy with their frequent maintenance requirements.

What Hondas (I know nothing about Mazda) have frequent maintenance requirements? All off mine are ~7,500-10,000 OCI per owner's manual with a filter change every other time. Spark plugs and coolant at ~100,000. I do an ATF drain & fill at 30,000 (which I would do for any automatic). Other than brakes and tires, that's about it. I could be out of the loop though since all of mine are >9 years old.

On topic: I personally would avoid anything with a CVT (hard to do). That would leave out Nissans, Subarus, and some/most Hondas. Although I think they're great cars otherwise. I hope to change my mind in a few years when they have proven to have worked out the kinks. There just aren't that many high-mileage CVTs around yet that I know of. They may be great and I just don't know it. I would look at RAV4s myself.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
What about asking her?

Gotta agree, if for nothing else to narrow it down to the type of vehicle (sedan, CUV, SUV, van, etc.)

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
VW Golf

I second this idea. I'm looking to help a couple people get a car in the next 12mo or so and like the base golf with the higher Wolfsburg package:

- 180hp turbo can get out of its own way when needed, merging, etc.
- hatch versatility in a small package
- easy to fit/park
- w/ Wolfsburg package (and automatic), you get autonomous/automatic braking for front collisions
- 23.5k list with Wolfsburg, auto & destination
- VW dealing big discounts off list (4k +)

Only hesitation is maybe a little quality risk but if you don't feel good by end of warranty period, switch it out. I also loathe the idea of choosing cars based solely on best reliability- I"m willing to take some repair risk for better features and a car that is actually enjoyed...

Now for my new daily...I'm looking to go Golf GTI. But to get the autonomous braking with GTI requires a lot more costly up-package...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My dad is buying one of my sisters a new car and left it up to me what to get her since I'm a mechanic (semi) by profession.
She is driving a well worn 94' Camry. She lives alone, her kids are grown and doesn't need anything large.
The car needs to be reliable so she can make it to the clinic 6 days a week. Lives in Toledo and deals with snow every winter.
But they do a good job clearing the main roads when it snows. She can drive a stick, but I'm not sure if she would like it.
Dad said it has to be new and would prefer to keep it under $25k. I'm not sure whats out there.
2017 Camry. 3,000 cash back thru 7/5/17.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My dad is buying one of my sisters a new car and left it up to me what to get her since I'm a mechanic (semi) by profession.
She is driving a well worn 94' Camry. She lives alone, her kids are grown and doesn't need anything large.
The car needs to be reliable so she can make it to the clinic 6 days a week. Lives in Toledo and deals with snow every winter.
But they do a good job clearing the main roads when it snows. She can drive a stick, but I'm not sure if she would like it.
Dad said it has to be new and would prefer to keep it under $25k. I'm not sure whats out there.

AWD CR-V can probably be had for $25k new

Pick a manufacturer that will stand by their product. The new technology is subject to failure. GDI engines with high pressure fuel pumps and CVT transmissions.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/consumer/toyota-excess-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit
http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131022...l-burning-claim

From this article "Sullivan said the last major episode that involved people complaining about oil burn was with the Mazda RX-8. "Instead of waiting for people to complain, [Mazda] was more proactive and … said 'even if you don't have a problem, you're going to have one so let's just fix it now.'"

I just had my 2011 equinox 2.4l engine rebuilt curtisy of GM. New rings, pistons, and timing chain. Their standard is 1 quart in 2,000 is bad.

If others have more info... Please contribute.

If i were to recomend a vehicle, get a 2016 equinox with the 3.6l V6.
Very little problems and usually gets very good gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Another Camry.

My thought also. If she likes her old one she will slide right into the new one.

Of course this also:

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: E150GT
What about asking her?

I think we have a winner!!!

The new Impreza is the top of the heap of compact cars. Otherwise, a Mitusbishi Outlander can be had in awd for nearly the same cost. More car but it may be too big for her.

Forget Toyota.

If Front wheel drive the Kia Forte is excellent. If you have a good kia dealer nearby (I don't know if any exist). Corolla, civic, dodge dart don't cut it at all.

How old is your sister? does she have kids? what are her needs? does she need to fit car seats?
How about pets? does she do any activities where she'd need to load skiis, snowboard, camping gear?
Does she want something comfy? sporty?

so many variables, so many options.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
How old is your sister? does she have kids? what are her needs? does she need to fit car seats?
How about pets? does she do any activities where she'd need to load skiis, snowboard, camping gear?

She lives alone, her kids are grown and doesn't need anything large.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

She lives alone, her kids are grown and doesn't need anything large.

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
Originally Posted By: Danno
The Hondas, and Mazda's of the world drive me a little crazy with their frequent maintenance requirements.

What Hondas (I know nothing about Mazda) have frequent maintenance requirements? All off mine are ~7,500-10,000 OCI per owner's manual with a filter change every other time. Spark plugs and coolant at ~100,000. I do an ATF drain & fill at 30,000 (which I would do for any automatic). Other than brakes and tires, that's about it. I could be out of the loop though since all of mine are >9 years old.

On topic: I personally would avoid anything with a CVT (hard to do). That would leave out Nissans, Subarus, and some/most Hondas. Although I think they're great cars otherwise. I hope to change my mind in a few years when they have proven to have worked out the kinks. There just aren't that many high-mileage CVTs around yet that I know of. They may be great and I just don't know it. I would look at RAV4s myself.

If got a 98 crv that iv towed a trailer and 2012 brueforce atv At 70 mph for 65 miles multiple times, 200k on tranny only a few drain and fills

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The new Impreza is the top of the heap of compact cars. Otherwise, a Mitusbishi Outlander can be had in awd for nearly the same cost. More car but it may be too big for her.

Forget Toyota.

If Front wheel drive the Kia Forte is excellent. If you have a good kia dealer nearby (I don't know if any exist). Corolla, civic, dodge dart don't cut it at all.

WHY?

Yes, talk to your sister unless it is a surprise.

Do diligent research. Especially since you have time.

Look at what her parameters are going to be. Probably the compact suv crossovers like Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Chevy Equinox, Mazda CX-5.

It is not just the quality/repair rates, it is also the willingness of the manufacturer to own up to issues. - I believe Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Nissan are on the naughty list. Could be wrong.
Don't know who to add to that list.

GM owned up to my 2.4l equinox issues. They still have yet to own up to the wave plate issue in the transmission.

Go to the forums to find out what the main issues are for each of these vehicles.
I am on Equinoxforum.net quit a bit.
From what I have seen of other's experiences, the 3.6l equinox is really good.
you can still get the 2016 new I am sure. not sure about prices.
the newer 2017 model and engines are untested.

finally, research the reviews of the dealers close to her. just as important is their service record and ability to fix things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back