My sister is looking for a track day toy / weekend car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Excellent choice! I think I may have seen that car advertised.

Is it going to pull dual duty or are you going to gut and cage it?

We got it in orlando. I violated a lot of 'car buying rules' picking this thing up but the car drove solid so I went for it.

Its going to pull dual duty. The interior is terrible and was hastily thrown back together, almost nothing is clipped in properly. The owner says he thinks the previous owner before him was stripping it for a cage and gave up. I think we're going to put the condorspeedshop door panel blanks in it, leave the carpet, keep the radio/AC, and maybe add some track gauges.

The car needs a handful of little things before its ready for its first track day - valve cover gasket, tie rod boots, tires, brake fluid, and I need to see what kind of brake pads the car was put together with.

Originally Posted by MCompact
That's a great track car; reinforce the rear subframe mounts and be aware that the tight piston to valve clearance means that the S50 doesn't tolerate being wound up past the redline. Conversely, the S50 is based on the M50 so rebuild costs are not nearly as expensive as they would be for a "real" M motor.

The motor appears to have been rebuilt at one point. The block is painted red with no overspray on the head, so someone had it down to the block at one point. I was (and to some extent still am) concerned that since the engine was pulled out of the car, I don't really know if is the S50 or someone replaced it with a quick and easy M50 to sell the car....but at the same time the thing launches off at 3500 rpm and I have a tough time seeing an M50 do that.

I may get around to reinforcing the rear subframe but in all honesty I probably won't. I'm a decent welder at this point and have all the tools just no time and too many projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back