Which new car for my sister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E150GT
For some reason Subaru has almost a cult following. I never understood it. I like the AWD part and they do it well, but the rest of the package is bleh.

Because the AWD is THAT good for mountain snow. I go from government AWD/4WD work vehicles to my Subaru on snow days and I will take my Subie over anything.

Also because they are generally very reliable (especially as the mileage racks up), inexpensive, and have previously been a bit quirky/oddity. I agree, the rest of the package of a Subaru is "bleh" (you can tell they are not spending money on interior design) but that drivetrain is what developed that cult following.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My dad is wanting to surprise her.
I'm leaning towards a a Subaru Impreza 2.0I Premium 5 door. The fuel economy is really good despite having AWD.
I don't think todays 2017 Camry is a 94' Camry in terms of 200K+ reliability.

Just an fyi
Subaru has been having some issues with oil consumption in the last few years.
They had to be sued and forced to own up to it.
My wife had a 2004 forester.
Accept for the ac compressor ($1,000) it was very reliable and it's awd system is the best.

But the new ones are having trouble.
CVT transmissions have issues too.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
She's single,kids flew the coop. A shiny new bright red 370Z Nismo! Time for her to have some fun!
19.gif

For $25k, huh?

Oops,missed the 25K price point haha :p. Then a "slightly used" Nismo 370Z instead
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: E150GT
For some reason Subaru has almost a cult following. I never understood it. I like the AWD part and they do it well, but the rest of the package is bleh.

Because the AWD is THAT good for mountain snow. I go from government AWD/4WD work vehicles to my Subaru on snow days and I will take my Subie over anything.

Also because they are generally very reliable (especially as the mileage racks up), inexpensive, and have previously been a bit quirky/oddity. I agree, the rest of the package of a Subaru is "bleh" (you can tell they are not spending money on interior design) but that drivetrain is what developed that cult following.

I'm totally not trying to argue because I know people love them, but I live in an area infested with Subarus and I've owned them myself. I recommend buying a new one if you like it and get rid of it before the warranty runs out. Axles, axle boots, wheel bearings, head gaskets (that may be getting better, only time will tell), transmissions... seem to start giving out around 80,000 miles. A coworker of mine who has owned a 2007 Impreza since new has replaced all 4 axles, wheel bearings, and the engine. Car has 100,000 miles and was well maintained. A friend of mine just sold a 2009 Outback because the head gaskets were leaking at 80,000 and has replaced the rear wheel bearings every 20,000 miles under warranty. My aunt just traded in her 2015 Forester because it spent more time in the shop than on the road. Guess what? They all either want to buy or have bought another Subaru... I don't get it.

Some are okay: I had a 2002 WRX. Other than replacing 2 radiators and a wheel bearing, the car was great when I sold it and I beat on it every day I had it. Sold it with 150,000 miles. It was around this time that their quality seemed to go down. The old "tanks" with 300,000 miles of the 90's were no more.

My cousin worked for the Subaru dealer for years. He now owns his own shop that specializes in Subarus. He drives Chevrolets.
eek.gif
Subarus are a wonderful car to drive and they're very practical, but I've seen too many people spend way too much money just keeping them going when they get some miles on them. Maybe the newer models are going to fare some better.

Edit: It looks like we live in relatively the same area if you're in the NC mountains. If so, you know what I mean by "infested" with Subies. Their AWD is hard to beat for sure. But I've never had any problems with a FWD or the AWD CR-V.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fenixguy

I'm totally not trying to argue because I know people love them, but I live in an area infested with Subarus and I've owned them myself. I recommend buying a new one if you like it and get rid of it before the warranty runs out. Axles, axle boots, wheel bearings, head gaskets (that may be getting better, only time will tell), transmissions... seem to start giving out around 80,000 miles. A coworker of mine who has owned a 2007 Impreza since new has replaced all 4 axles, wheel bearings, and the engine. Car has 100,000 miles and was well maintained. A friend of mine just sold a 2009 Outback because the head gaskets were leaking at 80,000 and has replaced the rear wheel bearings every 20,000 miles under warranty. My aunt just traded in her 2015 Forester because it spent more time in the shop than on the road. Guess what? They all either want to buy or have bought another Subaru... I don't get it.

Some are okay: I had a 2002 WRX. Other than replacing 2 radiators and a wheel bearing, the car was great when I sold it and I beat on it every day I had it. Sold it with 150,000 miles. It was around this time that their quality seemed to go down. The old "tanks" with 300,000 miles of the 90's were no more.

My cousin worked for the Subaru dealer for years. He now owns his own shop that specializes in Subarus. He drives Chevrolets.
eek.gif
Subarus are a wonderful car to drive and they're very practical, but I've seen too many people spend way too much money just keeping them going when they get some miles on them. Maybe the newer models are going to fare some better.

Edit: It looks like we live in relatively the same area if you're in the NC mountains. If so, you know what I mean by "infested" with Subies. Their AWD is hard to beat for sure. But I've never had any problems with a FWD or the AWD CR-V.

I had an '99 Subie until it was at 212K miles sold it, and I see it frequently. I think it is up to 240K ish now.

Subies can be a bit of a "miss" for some folks. Mostly because they can be maintenance queens. Unlike Toyota and some other brands, if you fall behind on some items or ignore small warning signs, Subies will bite HARD. They are not gas-and-go, ignore the rubbing sound vehicles. So I get the "constantly broken" complains for a lot of folks.

If axles and bearings keep going, that tells me something else is bad (although Subie is developing a bad bearing rap but that is not terrible). The owner is either opting for the cheaper replacement CVs, not capturing ruptured boots in time, or even it is mis-matched tires diameters on the car. Even bad alignments can put stress on those drive trains. The HG issues were a completely different item/issue. They could be bullet-proof or bad ones.

FYI, I have domestics in my fleet... you tend not to want to drive your "work" as your personal vehicles.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Subies can be a bit of a "miss" for some folks. Mostly because they can be maintenance queens. Unlike Toyota and some other brands, if you fall behind on some items or ignore small warning signs, Subies will bite HARD. They are not gas-and-go, ignore the rubbing sound vehicles. So I get the "constantly broken" complains for a lot of folks.

Right. That's why I wouldn't recommend them to most people. Which I'm assuming if the OP's sister is getting a "surprise" car, she's not really a car-person. My dad's got a 99 Outback with 250,000ish on it. It has had the head gaskets and axles replaced before he bought it. It does alright but the trans is slipping (I'd attribute that to neglect, not the 4EAT). I re-read my post and it does sound all "doom and gloom". They're not bad vehicles, in fact I looked at a few myself before buying the CR-V (wanted a Legacy GT or an H6 Outback). You just have to be careful with them and really pay attention like you said. 90% of drivers don't do that. I mean, with enough maintenance and $$, you can even have a high-mileage Jeep...
27.gif

The OP isn't a fan of Honda/Toyota:

I'd rather buy a new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica and live with the fact it might not be as reliable down the road as a Honda or Toyota.
The new vehicle discounts you can get at a Ford/GM/Chrysler dealer can make up for that. But if my wife and I had kids, I'd rather have
a Kia Sorento V6 over a minivan.

If your not a worry wort about reliability as most Toyota and Honda owners seem to be, you can get a 2016 VW Golf Sportwagon with a manual. Labcorp has a few running around in my neck of the woods. Its a lease after all.

Have you done your homework on negotiated prices? I'm guessing you have. Ford/GM/Ram full size trucks are heavily discounted off the sticker price unlike Toyota.

Well, we can rule out it wasn't driven hard by a high schooler and it uses superior water pump sealing than Toyota, so it baffles me, too.
This is when I suggest you do a UOA and not use oil with sodium in it.

If you have the non turbo 2.0 gas engine, it will last forever as it is on any VW 502 oil you can find.
Seriously, minus the ignition coil and sensors, I'd put up a 2.slow against Toyota or Honda's best.

Japanese/Toyota/Honda cars in Europe aren't regarded as lasting forever like American's tend to think.

Don't listen to Nick 1994. The 4Runner is possibly the worst riding vehicle available new with third row seating.

Ford, BMW and Toyota did take secret money from the U.S. government.

Last edited:
I don't think todays 2017 Camry is a 94' Camry in terms of 200K+ reliability.

Yes, I'm not a fan of Toyota or Honda. Mainly because there are better driving vehicles out there which may not be as reliable and reliability doesn't dictate what I drive. I told my dad she'd love an Accord Sport and it's made here in Ohio. Also told him a Toyota Corolla with a stick would probably be the most reliable choice for the long run. She needs something reliable to make it to the methadone clinic 6 days a week. He's looking at both today.

My neighbor just turned in his leased Camry SE with 35k miles. They put new brakes, rotors and tires on it, certified, all maintenance records, garage kept, no accidents, nice warranty for $15k. Plus the dealer is decent to work with. Prob get it for $14k plus tax, title and license. Saves $10k off the maximum budget price.

Since she lives in Toledo, support the local economy and the US auto industry and buy a Jeep Cherokee. My wife bought a 4WD one this year and it's been flawless so far and gets decent gas mileage in the upper 20s. It will hit 30 on a trip. It also has a 70% domestic parts content with both the engine and transmission from the USA.

UPDATE: My dad got her a new 4 door 2017 Subaru Impreza Premium yesterday.
Because of her past, he owns the car but is "renting" it to her so she cant do something dumb like get a title loan for it.

I visited my dad today and she swung by with her new car.
Very nice car. It's the first time I noticed the 2017 redesign in person. The interior is much better than my WRX was. It's rated 28 city, 38 highway.
It came with a Rockford Fosgate audio system and sounds really good. It has a CVT. It has 16" alloys with the ever common 205/55/16's. They are now making the Impreza in Indiana which is good. I really like the car and hope it serves her well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back