Carmax tomorrow

you WILL pay too much as i did BUT needed a truck NOW after a total + wanted a Fronty they had. a very cold windy day + it was not cleaned prior but i went thru because after LOOKING VERY few manuals were available. they washed it as i did paperwork, too many nicks + water spotting that took me HRS to polish + wax out to look decent, ended being a good truck i paid too much for!! it was an 11 with about 20 thou on it for 18 thou on it, surely lo miles jacked the price + interior was perfect, NON smoker + NO touchscreen!!

Last edited:
If she likes boxy, buy her a Honda Element. She will love it and the kids can easily get in the rear seats with a bunch of legroom. My wife's daily is an 05 EX AWD automatic and she loves it, even more than her 97 Wrangler she had. Don't break the bank on a bronco- duds. My coworker had one and she hated it over her Edge she had, traded in less than a year.

The wife and I are going to stop by Carmax tomorrow. She has no idea what she wants next so thought that would be a good way she could set in vehicles without any hassle. I've only bought 4 vehicles from "dealerships" and her just one.. can't say I've ever cared for any dealership experience. I'm not my dad or grandpa when it comes to haggling, the local dealerships didn't like when they walked in the doors.

But not planning on driving anything or even buying yet. Figure we'll decide on a vehicle and over the next 6 months find something, or most likely she'll just say you decide and buy something. She likes the boxer vehicles like our current 04 Escape, so far the Bronco Sport is top contender. I'm on the fence and almost want to get something wild like a Jeep Wrangler in Punkn Metallic Clearcoat, that we could pull behind the RV. A 2 door wouldn't be a good family vehicle though and the 4 door is too heavy.

Anyways enough rambling, still bit on the nervous side since I'm used to either hounded by salespersons or can't find anyone.
We went to look at and ended up buying the LS400 from Carmax in 2007. It was a pleasant experience; good financing terms, etc. Carmax is nice because of the no hassle pricing. I'm not a haggler so that's a plus for me. Although like with any vehicle purchase, there was a lot of sitting around reading and signing paperwork.

When we were looking for a Highlander, we checked out the used inventory at Carmax and at a couple of Toyota dealerships. Expecting dealership pressure, it was a pleasant surprise that there wasn't any, at either location. Maybe this just depends on the geographic location?

I did check out Carfax, if nothing else to see vehicle history (where was it first sold/registered/used), collision history, price range and what was considered great-to-meh pricing.

If someone asks for my help, we start at Carmax. It’s too easy to see Everything. I remember taking 11 test drives with them one day for someone I was helping. They did not fret that we didn’t buy that day. I did buy from them a few years later.

Yes, they charge a little more. They also go farther at R&R - mine had been repainted and it was done very well, in black. Their paint looked better than the original. Unusual for me, I bought the warranty, and used it. They treated me better than any dealer I’ve done business with. With the high-tech Lexus, the warranty paid for itself (previous owner really didn’t take care of it). The peace of mind the local franchise demonstrated to me makes it real easy to go back.

Also, if you see something you like online but not at the local dealer, they will ship it to you for free or low cost for a test drive. I’ve done it twice, and the second time is the one I bought.

Far less pressure than the local, um, Toyota, ford, Jeep, dealers here.

I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos of car guys checking prices at Carmax. They are pointing out that the current prices at Carmax are equal to, or more than, one could purchase a similar vehicle new. I've always liked Carmax even though I've never purchased a vehicle from them. It will be interesting to see if they can weather the drop in used car wholesale pricing and not adjust their pricing to reflect it. The prices of the vehicles I saw on these videos would cause me to exclude Carmax from any purchasing decisions I might need to make.

I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos of car guys checking prices at Carmax. They are pointing out that the current prices at Carmax are equal to, or more than, one could purchase a similar vehicle new. I've always liked Carmax even though I've never purchased a vehicle from them. It will be interesting to see if they can weather the drop in used car wholesale pricing and not adjust their pricing to reflect it. The prices of the vehicles I saw on these videos would cause me to exclude Carmax from any purchasing decisions I might need to make.
That is not unique to Carmax but it is a real thing. When I bought my new Mustang used ones with 20k miles were literally the same price. I did have to hunt for mine though.

A week late but we spent over 2 hours and in/out of so many cars we're exhausted. She settled on the Edge or the Acura MDX, leaning more towards the Edge. Little bigger than our current Escape. We both really like the titanuim version with white pearl, it looked really nice. Really the price was in line with what I'm seeing elsewhere. But now time to watch the lots and see what comes across. The MDX is really more than we want to spend so far.

We almost like the Highlander with the 3rd row but that third row is pretty useless.

A week late but we spent over 2 hours and in/out of so many cars we're exhausted. She settled on the Edge or the Acura MDX, leaning more towards the Edge. Little bigger than our current Escape. We both really like the titanuim version with white pearl, it looked really nice. Really the price was in line with what I'm seeing elsewhere. But now time to watch the lots and see what comes across. The MDX is really more than we want to spend so far.

We almost like the Highlander with the 3rd row but that third row is pretty useless.
Did you notice any weird smells? Last year I sat in several cars at a CarMax and they smelled absolutely putrid. I'm guessing they sort of shampoo them all and let them sit in the sun with the windows up.

That they won’t negotiate down is a non starter for me. Their prices aren’t good.

Did you notice any weird smells? Last year I sat in several cars at a CarMax and they smelled absolutely putrid. I'm guessing they sort of shampoo them all and let them sit in the sun with the windows up.
Oh yeah for sure.. a few we just opened the doors and shut them back it was so bad. Sure was a variety of smells.. bubble gum, wet dog, throw up.. majority did smell like new cars though.
That they won’t negotiate down is a non starter for me. Their prices aren’t good.
A little higher yes but not as bad as most make it out to be.

Set in a few Minis just for giggles. They're smaller than the Festiva 😂 That green one would be a blast to drive with the 6spd!
IMG_2432.jpeg

IMG_2431.jpeg

You are not the customer they are looking for. Most know they pay a premium. Most don't care because of the no-haggle aspect.
Sorry, but this makes zero sense. Someone could go into any dealer or car lot in the country, pay what they’re told, and be happy. Carmax isn’t exactly a premium sales experience. You don’t see the absurdity?!? We’re seriously at a point where people are programmed to pay a premium to do what the seller says, and pay the seller’s stated amount?!?

Again, why not just go to the dealer, pay MSRP, and move on then?!? That’s all that Carmax is doing. Just with (likely more profitable) used cars.

Last edited:
We bought a Fit from Carmax in ‘16 and the smell is still there. In fact, if I shopped from them again and got even a hint of that smell I’d close the door and walk.

Sorry, but this makes zero sense. Someone could go into any dealer or car lot in the country, pay what they’re told, and be happy. Carmax isn’t exactly a premium sales experience. You don’t see the absurdity?!? We’re seriously at a point where people are programmed to pay a premium to do what the seller says, and pay the seller’s stated amount?!?

Again, why not just go to the dealer, pay MSRP, and move on then?!? That’s all that Carmax is doing. Just with (likely more profitable) used cars.
Respectfully-
Just because you don't agree with how others make purchase decisions doesn't necessarily make them nonsensical. Let's all remember-the average car buyer doesn't hang out on this forum.

Respectfully-
Just because you don't agree with how others make purchase decisions doesn't necessarily make them nonsensical. Let's all remember-the average car buyer doesn't hang out on this forum.
Sure, I think Carmax is dumb… but that’s not really my point. It’s not like I wouldn’t buy a car there if I found a deal on something I wanted/liked.

But my point is that anyone can go to any dealer, pay sticker price, have zero haggling, and walk out the door having overpaid exactly like they do at Carmax.

There is zero difference.

I do take offense at duping already dumb consumers through this model, that you’ll pay what we say you’ll pay and like it. In fact, pay a premium for that privilege. At least if you buy a dealer’s CPO at retail, you have a manufacturer warranty.

Sure, I think Carmax is dumb… but that’s not really my point. It’s not like I wouldn’t buy a car there if I found a deal on something I wanted/liked.

But my point is that anyone can go to any dealer, pay sticker price, have zero haggling, and walk out the door having overpaid exactly like they do at Carmax.

There is zero difference.

I do take offense at duping already dumb consumers through this model, that you’ll pay what we say you’ll pay and like it. In fact, pay a premium for that privilege. At least if you buy a dealer’s CPO at retail, you have a manufacturer warranty.

Around here the new car dealers add on paint and fabric protection, nitrogen in the tires, VIN etching, Lojack and other crap to their used cars that they don't advertise on the website. I see why people don't want to waste their time with these antics, and that's what makes Carmax appealing to them.

Back